PDA

View Full Version : Sometimes you just get lucky........

David B
Mar-14-2006, 5:13pm
My first post here and I've been enjoying reading through the various topics. #What a great source of information for those like me looking for answers! #My thanks to the providers. #

What brings me here is that I acquired an F4 yesterday and I wasn't even looking for one either! #I'm a guitar player. #I know, I know, don't boot me out of here yet! #

A friend owns a small guitar store and he phoned me wanting to know if I want to purchase an old mandolin. #He says that the lady needs to sell it and he knew I had been acquiring instruments lately. #So, I went over and looked at this mando, quickly researched it and found out it is a 1917 F4, well used but all there. #I struck a deal and now have this beauty in my collection. # Flamed maple back and sides with a sunburst finish, inlaid tuner knobs, double flowerpot headstock inlay, tortoise shell guard. #The top is pretty dinged up and worn from play wear but I'm not going to worry about it.

I've learned a bunch of chords and figured out one song already. #I'll tell you, I'm in awe of the tone from this instrument. #It's pretty easy to hear quality, even when you are not totally familiar with a certain type of instrument. #It is very loud, and ringing notes are very distinct with a very rich harmonic resonance. #Of course, you folks already know all of this but to me it has been a revelation since yesterday afternoon.

I need to clean it up and get the intonation set. #It seems a touch sharp on the fretted notes, so I'll have to find somebody well known in my area that specializes in these.

I look forward to hearing any advice or additional information from the brain trust here. #Thanks for reading this!

Its number 34232 in the Archive...... link below
http://www.mandolinarchive.com/perl/show_mando.pl?3429

Ken Waltham
Mar-14-2006, 5:32pm
Just do the harmonic at the 12th fret, and then note the 12th fret. If it is sharp, move the bridge back a hair until they are the same note. Pretty easy.
They tend to creep over time, and often the bridge needs to go back a bit from the original marks in the varnish.
These are great instruments, and the real bargain of the vintage world.
Congratulations.
Ken

manjitsu
Mar-14-2006, 5:36pm
Congratulations!! That's one heck of a first mandolin. I'm sure there's a story behind every one of those nicks, dings, and scratches... what a great vibe it's got going for it. I hope you enjoy it immensely. It feels great to be in the right place at the right time!

-Chris

David B
Mar-14-2006, 8:14pm
Hi Ken,
I've intonated and set up a lot of guitars but this will be my first mandolin. #I knew the bridge would have to be moved back. #Thanks for the advice! #And I agree with you, for the beautiful craftsmanship and sound, these seem to be a bargain in the vintage world. #I'd be surprised if they don't appreciate fairly rapidly.

Chris,
Thanks for the reply. #I wasn't entirely sure I wanted it at first..... that is until I tuned it up and then struck the first notes. #then I was hopelessly hooked!

The little bit of info I got from the lady was that her husband had owned it for 53 yrs and played it a lot until he got sick. #She had a hard time parting with it and talking about it but I'm glad she did decide to sell it. #So, this means he got it in 1953 and it was 36 yrs old then. #I'd love to know more about it's history but I doubt I'll ever get to know.

Michael Gowell
Mar-14-2006, 8:19pm
Whoa, Handel tuners next to a double flowerpot. #Those folks in Kalamazoo had the concept of tasteful bling down to the max.

dan@kins
Mar-15-2006, 12:03pm
That gourd has got serious mojo!

David B
Mar-15-2006, 9:15pm
That gourd has got serious mojo!
I guess "mojo" is supposed to be a positive attribute for an instrument that has been beat to death. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

tiltman
Mar-16-2006, 12:11pm
David,
Be forewarned, you will spend less time playing guitar, more time playing mandolin... it will call to you... it sounds better... the tuning makes sense... it sounds better... so much fun... it sounds better... then you will find yourself saying 'I wonder what an f-hole mandolin sounds like'...
Kirk

manjitsu
Mar-16-2006, 2:16pm
I guess "mojo" is supposed to be a positive attribute for an instrument that has been beat to death.

Just like people, I think... that which does not kill us makes us stronger!

Chris

David B
Mar-16-2006, 3:32pm
David,
Be forewarned, you will spend less time playing guitar, more time playing mandolin... it will call to you... it sounds better... the tuning makes sense... it sounds better... so much fun... it sounds better... then you will find yourself saying 'I wonder what an f-hole mandolin sounds like'...
Kirk
Kirk,
It's already happening! #I've played virtually no guitar the last couple of days and am learning the mandolin, it is very addictive! #Unfortunately, it's also interrupted my learning of the steel guitar. #I had recently purchased an old Fender Dual 8 Pro and that has taken second place to the F4. #Learning two different tunings at the same time really twists my brain a bit. #The steel is in C6 lower and upper and now the mandolin tuning. #Actually, the steel is the harder of the two.

Question, do I need to think about detuning the F4 if it sits for a few days? #The top is quite proud and rounded yet, I can see from a side view that it slightly flattens at the bridge contact area from the down force applied. #What is the thinking on this?

Bob A
Mar-16-2006, 4:14pm
No need to detune. You ought to check the transverse brace below the soundhole to see whether it's coming loose - a glance thru the endpin hole should tell the story. So long as you keep the relative humidity in the comfort zone - 40-50% - the mandolin should last another 80 years with no problems. And constant cranking on the tuners will eventually cause some wear that you don't need, I suspect.

I myself believe in using somewhat lighter gauge strings on these old instruments - they're dry enough to project well without the extra tension - but it's your call. (I like GHS PF250s, but your mileage may differ).

tiltman
Mar-16-2006, 7:11pm
Hee, Heee.....knew it would happen!

No need to detune. It's probably had tension on that top for decades!
I personally use medium strings on my vintage mandos...

Kirk

Ken Waltham
Mar-16-2006, 7:39pm
David, this is very important!
Stick your finger in the soundhole, and feel the edges of the transverse brace that runs cross ways under the soundhole.
Make sure that both ends of the brace, ( they are tapered at the ends) are glued to the top. These old guys tend to dry out, and the ends of the brace can come loose. If that happens, you will get a crack in the top of the F4!
Most are not loose, but I have had many that are.
They will tend to crack along the feet of your bridge.
If that's good, then you are good to go for another 80 years!

David B
Mar-16-2006, 9:15pm
Finger checked the transverse brace and it is glued tight all the way to the very edges. Thanks for letting me know about that! My whole house is humidity controlled due to all the instruments I have here and it is kept at 45% +/-5%.

The other thing that I looked at are the frets. The E & A string side of the frets have some pretty healthy wear dents in them. Maybe a 1/3 to 1/2 the fret height down. Interestingly, the wound string side have no visible wear. Not sure what to do about that yet, I do have an excellent guitar tech that I may consult to see what he thinks. Also, I have an excellent Luthier just around the corner too!

You folks have been very helpful! Many thanks!

Michael Gowell
Mar-17-2006, 11:13pm
If the instrument notes clearly, don't worry about it. #Most of those old Gibsons are still running on their original frets. #Some visible signs of wear are inevitable, but the test is the ear, not the eye.

David B
Mar-18-2006, 11:32am
If the instrument notes clearly, don't worry about it. #Most of those old Gibsons are still running on their original frets. #Some visible signs of wear are inevitable, but the test is the ear, not the eye.
Thanks for the advice! It does note clearly but if those frets were on one of my guitars I would have them dressed.