PDA

View Full Version : David Grisman's mandolin camp

Mental Floss
Mar-13-2006, 9:16pm
I am wondering if the David Grisman et al mandolin camp is the right thing for a beginner?
Has anyone here gone?
It seems reasonable enough for a week of mandolin training.

cbarry
Mar-17-2006, 2:52pm
I can't believe nobody has responded to this.
I've been playing for a year or so (just on my own) and I'm thinking about going. I live in San Jose, just over the hill from there, so I'll look into attending it on an "outpatient" basis. I'm sure most (all?) of it will be way over my head, but stimulating and entertaining at least!
Maybe you should try posting this in the General Discussions area? That'll probably get more hits--and maybe even a response from somebody who went last year.
Chuck

cbarry
Mar-17-2006, 2:53pm
FYI:
This is the one we're talking about:

http://www.mandolinsymposium.com/

grandmainger
Mar-17-2006, 4:33pm
I went last year, and I'm going back this year. It's awesome! Beginners and Experts alike, there's something for everyone, including beginners classes and slow jams. And the experience of being for a week with over 100 mando addicts is just beyond anything you've ever done!
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

David Horovitz
Mar-17-2006, 5:02pm
Yes, would be good to post this in the General Discussions area. I hadn't noticed this thread until now.

I also went last year and had a great time. There is definitely a lot a beginner can get out of it, not least of which is meeting and having breakfast, lunch and dinner with several of the best mando players in the world. There are many performances that the pros and advanced students perform throughout the week, so it's almost like hearing live, informal concerts every day during the week, in addition to the classes you take from the instructors. The more proficient players can jam late into the night with the pros, if they wish. But there are also beginner jams and other activities.

SternART
Mar-17-2006, 5:20pm
I would suggest stayng at the Symposium, even if you live in San Jose. There is a lot that goes on late into the night & if you leave to drive back to San Jose, you'll either be too tired to drive, or you'll hear about the incredible jam you missed the night before, like when Chris Thile showed up to reherse with Mike Marshall & played in a dorm room till the sun was coming up. I think there are folks at every level & some classes are geared more to beginners.....but you'll get to see what you should be working on, or thinking about, even if it is over your head. Hardest part for me is how fabulous some of the youngsters are......getting smoked by a 12 year old is a humbling experience. I enjoy being away from the computer, phone, TV etc for a week & immersing in mando madness....it is hard to beat......I'm going again this year. Beside adding Tim O'Brien, & guest appearances by Andy Statman & Sam Bush.....yowza!

David Horovitz
Mar-17-2006, 5:28pm
Well, I too live in San Jose and I commuted last year, both to save housing expense and due to some family obligations. Now, it would have been nice to stay later than say 12AM some nights, but frankly, I found the 6-8 hours break each night away from the Symposium kind of refreshing because I could take a breath and absorb some of what I heard, saw and learned during the day/night. By the middle of the week, some folks were walking around like zombies, though happy zombies, to be sure!

Tom C
Mar-17-2006, 5:53pm
From my experience in 2004. All the classes seemed geared for beginners. They were almost like festival workshops. The guest teachers (All beside Mike, Dawg and Thile) were readily accesssible -like students between the classes. The other 3 were very busy coordinating and such to make sure things ran smoothly. They did a great job.

fmspinc
Mar-17-2006, 6:22pm
I can't believe I miss this event - living so close in Oakland, but taking that week off simply is not in the works - so I had thought about running down for a day or two, but I don't think this is allowed or that the cost can be pro-rated. I understand it is great for all levels.

If anyone has slipped in for just part of the time I would like to hear about that.

cbarry
Mar-17-2006, 6:28pm
Hi David,
See, I'm still trying. I'm even finally learning some chords!!
I'm surprized I haven't run into you in the neighborhood. Your house looks almost done. We started work on our addition in January. Wish me luck!
Chuck

David Horovitz
Mar-17-2006, 7:14pm
Hi David,
See, I'm still trying. I'm even finally learning some chords!!
I'm surprized I haven't run into you in the neighborhood. Your house looks almost done. We started work on our addition in January. Wish me luck!
Chuck
Hey Chuck,

I've been meaning to get in touch with you, seeing as we live so close. Good to hear you're still playing mando. We should definitely get together to compare musical and house notes! I can tell you more about Symposium too, if you're still on the fence.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-17-2006, 9:07pm
There are opportunities for all levels of instruction at all hours of the day.

Last year, I took a scatter-shot approach and attended classes from most of the instructors. #Didn't take a class from Mike M or Evan M. #But took at least one class from everyone else. #My head did spin a bit. This year I'm going to pick a style or an instructor and run through the week with a theme. #It will be easier that way to build on previous days' explorations and incorporate new knowledge.

Daniel