PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone or Washburn?

novatocreek
Mar-13-2006, 8:30pm
Hi! Nice to be on board here. - I'm not really ready to buy right now but maybe in a few months or so. The recent posts here on the Eastman mandolins may make this a mute point but what are folks opinions of the Epiphone MM50? I was also considering the Washburn M3SW. --(The washburn is 539 with a hard case and the Epi 499 w/o case)

mac

Doug Edwards
Mar-13-2006, 11:26pm
I had a nice MM50 and I did several upgrades to it. Be sure you play one first before buying, several if you can. Some I've played had nice tone and others did not. None I've played had a lot of volume. I would not buy one online and do not like the ones made in China.

A couple of hundred more in the budget opens up some better selections especailly if you'll consider an A style.

mando bandage
Mar-14-2006, 7:39am
For the money, I am quite satisfied with my Washburn M3SW. Sounds decent and stays in tune very well. #Doesn't cure MAS, but by the time I wear the frets off it, I'll be ready for an upgrade.

R

Celtic Saguaro
Mar-14-2006, 8:53am
I really would recommend that unless you are going strickly for looks, that an A-Style would give you much more value in the ~$500 price range. An Eastman 500 series A style or a Mid-Mo would be a much nicer instrument than either you are contemplating. The Eastman comes with a case in that range, I'm not sure about the Mid-Mo