PDA

View Full Version : Steve Winwood

Bruce Stein
Mar-13-2006, 5:15pm
Did anyone else catch the story on Steve Winwood on CBS Sunday Morning this past weekend? A couple of times they showed Winwood on stage playing an A style mandolin. Does anyone who is more familar with his music know anything about his mandolin playing? Which songs feature him on mandolin? Thank.

otterly2k
Mar-13-2006, 10:13pm
yeah, I saw that feature, and the mando. I don't know his stuff well enough to answer your question, but hope someone else will...

Karen Kay
Mar-13-2006, 10:43pm
Back in the High Life for one

SternART
Mar-13-2006, 10:54pm
I dug his 500 year old Manor House with the barn/recording studio...that he bought when he was 19.
I wasn't aware that he played mando.......I was a BIG Traffic fan, back in the ol' days. Saw them play
live many times. Just heard a cut on XM radio of Winwood sitting in with the Grateful Dead. Anyone
know what that was from? Long version of Dear Mr. Fantasy.

jim simpson
Mar-13-2006, 11:27pm
Only got to see Traffic once, it was their tour to support Shootout At The Fantasy Factory. Sad to hear about the passing of Jim Capaldi. I heard Winwood/Dead on XM as well and was wondering the same.
I wish I could remember where I read the article, but I seem to recall Steve saying that he played Washburn mandos. I am sure he meant modern examples. If I can find it, I'll post the reference.

jim simpson
Mar-13-2006, 11:43pm
From jambands.com dated 6/17/03

Steve Winwood Performs with The Dead on "Loose Lucy"
Steve Winwood sat in with The Dead last night at Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Virginia Beach, VA. Winwood, who also opened the show, took the stage midway through the first set for “Loose Lucy.”
Both Winwood and The Dead play tonight at Merriweather Post Pavilion in Columbia, MD. For the full tour schedule, visit www.dead.net.
To read daily updates from the band members themselves, check out Jambands.com’s Dead Summer Getaway Diaries.
6/17/03

JEStanek
Mar-14-2006, 8:57am
Steve Winwod from a Guitar.com article here. (http://guitar.com/cda/ColumnCorner/article_display.aspx?sPath=8100000C219000000001000 0791F00000000&sSection=TL)
"Guitar.com: In the 1980s, you started incorporating mandolin into songs such as Slowdown Sundown and Back in the High Life Again. When did you first start playing mandolin? What appealed to you about it?

Winwood: Mandolin always intrigued me as an instrument because it was tuned in fifths, as opposed to being in fourths like a guitar, so the fingering was quite different. But the tunings I used on mandolin for Slowdown Sundown and Back in the High Life Again were standard mandolin tunings, that is (starting from the first string): EADG. " There is also a photo of him playing one from 2004 on this page. (http://www.senzatempo.co.uk/html/steve_winwood_-_july_12_04_-_n.html)

That was a nice story on CBS.
Jamie

Rick Schmidlin
Mar-14-2006, 1:02pm
There was music video in the 80's on MTV that feature him on the mandolin.

mandocrucian
Mar-14-2006, 3:31pm
A.R.M.S. Concert, Part 2, a 1983 benefit for a multiple sclerosis organization. Featuring Eric Clapton, Jeff Beck, and Jimmy Page on guitars (and they are all playing as good as they ever did... 'can't afford to coast - too much competition), with Winwood on keys, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman. Also promotes as the Ronnie Lane benefit (he had MS)

Winwood is playing mandolin on "Tulsa Time" (Clapton) and the everyone-onstage-together finale "Goodnight Irene"

There's also a few quick shots of Winwood paying mando on his Back In The High Life Again" video.

Niles Hokkanen

jefflester
Mar-14-2006, 5:44pm
I dug his 500 year old Manor House with the barn/recording studio...that he bought when he was 19.
I wasn't aware that he played mando.......I was a BIG Traffic fan, back in the ol' days. #Saw them play
live many times. #Just heard a cut on XM radio of Winwood sitting in with the Grateful Dead. Anyone
know what that was from? #Long version of Dear Mr. Fantasy.
Winwood sat in on a week's worth of shows with "The Dead" (not to be confused with the Grateful Dead :-) in the summer of 2003 when he was opening for them. They played Dear Mr. Fantasy on 6/20/03, perhaps that was this version. The shows are all available from munckmusic (https://www.munckmusic.com/wms/dead/index.html)

Winwood sat in with the Grateful Dead once, back on 11/16/70 (long confused with a show dated 11/23/70).

There's also a Traffic live release from the 1994 reunion tour that came out last year that features Garcia sitting in with them on Dear Mr. Fantasy.

jefflester
Mar-14-2006, 6:11pm
A.R.M.S. Concert, Part 2, a 1983 benefit ...

...Winwood is playing mandolin on "Tulsa Time" (Clapton)
Here's a short video clip of Winwood vainly playing a strapless and pickupless F5 into his vocal mic.
Winwood ARMS mando clip (14.9MB) (http://cindynjeff.freesite.org/winwood-mando.mpg)

ira
Mar-15-2006, 9:57am
don't remember winwood on the mando at the arms/ronnie lane benefit i saw way back-i guess in 83 at msg in nyc. great show-all three sets were amazing- ended with page solo on stairway using the double neck then joined one by one by all the guitarists then other musicians- layla jam, then ronnie lane came on and led good night irene!
and he did not play mando when i saw him with the dead a few years ago at great woods in mass...; he did do a few killer tunes!