PDA

View Full Version : Beginner  A-Style or F-Style

Kent Black
Apr-03-2004, 9:08pm
Hello, I am looking to purchase a mandolin and have read a lot of posts on this subject but I still don't know what to buy. I was looking at a Washburn A-Style or a Morgan Monroe Bean Blossom F-Style. I need to stay under $400 but would prefer to go around the $200 mark since I am just beginning. Any help or recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kent

John Flynn
Apr-03-2004, 9:22pm
Just MHO, but I would get a Kentucky 250S for about $215 and then spend $75-100 to have a mandolin luthier do a full set up on it. That may sound like a lot to spend on a $215 mandolin, but it will be worth it. If you can afford a little more, do the same with a Kentucky 350S.

Magnus Geijer
Apr-03-2004, 9:29pm
In that price range, you really don't want to buy an f-style.

Kent Black
Apr-04-2004, 9:14am
Thanks for the information, does anyone know who can set one up around Chattanooga TN?

tnpathfinder
Apr-07-2004, 12:49pm
I would make a day trip to Nashville. There are some really good shop's there that could do it. I have no idea about Chattanooga. I bought a Kentucky km-380s and it is mandatory to have a real mando set-up done. Don't be fooled...just because the guy at your shop can set-up a guitar doesn't mean he really knows how to properly set-up a mando. I speak from experience. I was ready to trash my 380s until I had it checked out. Now I love it for what I paid. about $400 with a hard case and a tuner. Make them work with you on price because of that reason.

Good luck in your search.

PCypert
Apr-09-2004, 6:44pm
Hey,
Get an A style if you're stuck under 400. Go with a mid mo. On those other mandos you're throwing away cash on bad finish, import fees, etc. Get a used mid mo and come out under the 400 bucks. They're not fancy, but they have a great sound and you'll be able to resell for about what you bought it for. I was in the same ballpark last year. These things feel so much better and play better. Why spend money on a mando and then pay more to have it fixed so that it actually plays well? If you buy a Mid Mo, even used, you can ship it off to them if it's not set up correctly and they'll have it back to you over the weekend. I have not worked with a nicer company. I don't own one anymore, but they were great.
Paul

chipotle
Apr-09-2004, 10:28pm
snickersman, I live in Chattanooga and I recommend Blaylock music on Hixson Pike.

I am a raw beginner and Clyde Blaylock has a great store and I have been taking lessons from him as well. He sells new and used mandolins, guitars and b@nj0s. He is one of the nicest people I have ever met.

I am not sure of the extent of the work he does, but he set up my cheap beginner mando and his prices are very reasonable.

I checked every music store in Chattanooga and he was the only person that really knew the mandolin. He is a tremendous player in his own right.

He is in the Chattanooga phone book.

ira
Apr-10-2004, 1:58pm
though tone, volume/acoustic qualities and playability are of the utmost importance for your purchase. you should also get something that looks good to you. some folks don't think that matters at all, but for many, myself included, having something that you like to look at adds to the package. an 'a' is your best bet at your price, but if you want an 'f; you could prob. get a used michael kelly 'f' for around that price. they get great reviews from owners (see in archives), and are nice looking with great specs for a reasonable price.

just my 2

good luck.

Dioptase
Apr-13-2004, 1:04am
Kent,

I'd like to heartily agree with Pcypert about the mid-missouri mandolins. And I think anyone that's ever owned or played one would as well. Do a message board search on the brand-- you won't find a bad word to be said.

I have a Michael Kelly Firefly, a Gibson A9, and a Mid Mo M1... I've been playing for a year and bought my instruments in that order. The Michael Kelly hasn't been touched since the A9 arrived... the A9 is a wonderful instrument, but above your price range. I bought the Mid Mo later as a travel companion, having lost all taste for the Michael Kelly. And while I bought it as a travel companion, I find myself picking it more and more at home.. It will never replace my A9 but it's a great instrument in it's own respect.. Yea, it'll keep it's value if you want to resell one.. but.. I can't imagine why you'd want to sell your mid mo, even if you make a substantial upgrade. I love it.. If I'd bought it as my first instrument, I'd probably still only have one mandolin.. seeing no real reason to upgrade until I find myself playing with a loud band(jo). Actually.. (laughs) I've been playing a lot with a friend and his open back banjo and his wife's guitar.. and the midmo blends perfectly.
Micah

magnumgray
Apr-13-2004, 8:43am
Ive got a fancy dean f style in the classifieds for 375 .. they sell for 560 at musicians friend .. it is a great step up model ... low action and fast neck ... I am selling it to pay for a custom made one

mandodude
Apr-13-2004, 8:58am
I would make a day trip to Nashville. There are some really good shop's there that could do it.
If your gonna do the day trip thing, make sure you call first. The truly good shops are usually backlogged with instruments to be worked on - it's not too likely that you'll be able to just hand 'em the mando and browse around the shop while they squeeze in your job in front of the others and work on it... might have to drive back out another day to pick it up.

Can't speak for N'ville, but here in Chicago the timeframe for the services of a good set-up man is about a week or so.

Kent Black
Apr-13-2004, 8:38pm
Hello Everyone,

I just wanted to say thanks for all the info, I am still looking and reading trying to make my mind up on what to buy and how much to spend. I travel accross TN and will be going to Nashville in a couple of weeks so I will surely make plans to visit some stores. Again Thanks for the help!
Kent

Lane Pryce
Apr-14-2004, 8:39am
"Candyman" Check out the Kentucky KM380 and the Morgan Monroe MMA something or other. Its their A style mando. I heard one last night. First impression was it had to be a custom. I was floored when I saw it was an M&M. My two. Lp

Raven
Apr-22-2004, 8:50am
I know Clyde Blaylock and I agree he would be the guy to go to in Chattanooga,TN for a great setup.

futrconslr
Apr-22-2004, 8:58am
Kent,

I also do alot of traveling across TN and know of quiet a few stores. PM me and tell me the areas you will be in and maybe I can save you some time.

fatt-dad
Apr-23-2004, 8:38am
I have several mandolins I can sell you for under $250.00 including strap and case. Feel free to email fatt-dad@richmond.com if you are interested. However, I will be out of the country next week.

My selection in the under $250.oo range includes Asian A-models with solid wood top, sides and back. I have Yasuma, Aria, Kentucky, Ibanez.

(regarding the $215.00 KM-250S, I would not sell mine for that - I just love it! Although considering that it has a fishman pickup and it was made in Japan it does have a somewhat different pedigree - ha.)

flipper
May-01-2004, 5:05pm
You can get an Elvenwood for less than $400. I have had mine mandolin for over a month now and really like it. I bought it at the Suwannee Springfest from Josh Pinkham's father. These mandolins are already set up, so they not only sound good for the money but they also have good action and are a breeze to play.

Bandersnatch Reverb
May-01-2004, 5:36pm
Heresy yes, but I'm quite happy with my Tacoma (USA built!!) flattop mandolin, not terribly bad for under $500. Mine needed to have the nut adjusted, no biggie. I did my own but... I'd imagine that deepening the slots isn't gonna run all that much for a comptetant luthier (or buy the files for the same price, do it yerself, and have the files for your own in case you need em again someday...er buy a practice nut too - cheep)

Bob A
May-01-2004, 6:18pm
Sometimes it's the better part of wisdom to spend more money and get a better instrument. Your ability will be enhanced by an instrument that is easier to play, and that sounds good enough to keep disappointment at bay. I always advise folks to get a better instrument than they think they can afford. Easier to sell or trade up that way, as well. But of course it's your call.

If you can, shop with another player. That way you can experience what the mandolin sounds like from both sides; it might help you with your decision.

OSA
May-10-2004, 8:50pm
What are opinions on the Oscar Schmidt models by Washburn?

Thank you

wannabethile
May-11-2004, 12:00am
i have one, and i think its alright. there ya go!!

duuuude
May-11-2004, 11:01am
What are opinions on the Oscar Schmidt models by Washburn?
I like my OM12B, not perfect but a great player & well-made, IMWO. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Michael H Geimer
May-11-2004, 11:36am
I traded in my Epi MM-50 (Import F-style) for a Mid-mo, and couldn't be happier.

My 'Grown Up' mandolin is a Weber, but the Mid-Mo get plently of 'pick-time'.

Plus, just because Mid-mo's are plain in design, doesn't make them ugly. IMO - anything built with care and quality will look good.

Who cares about all the frosting? Just bake me a cake with butter, sugar, milk and eggs ... 'cuz that's where the real flavor is!

Go Mid-Mo!!!!!!!!

- Benig

PCypert
May-11-2004, 12:08pm
Go with a Mid Missouri. They can't be beat for the money. Maybe they don't look as cool. But trust me they're better in every other sense. Can you send a Kentucky to the factory if something goes wrong and get it fixed for free? No. I know they don't look as cool, but they are seriously the best mando for the money. Mine was used and they set it up for free for me (the last guy had sanded the bridge down and I needed a higher bridge). You can go wrong with the others. You can't go wrong with Mid Mo.
Paul

jiffyfeet
May-11-2004, 3:27pm
I played a mid missouri once and they are very nice. That's what I would go for. In fact, I am about to die if I don't get a mandola soon, and I'll be buying a midmo.

OSA
May-11-2004, 7:13pm
Thank you for the information and honest opinions.

dixiecreek
May-14-2004, 1:42pm
you could always rent to buy...

mbtk
May-27-2004, 3:32pm
Hi,
In regards to the Mid-Mo recommendations, I was wondering if they're suitable for style/genre crossovers (Celtic, Folk, Bluegrass). I got the impression that they have a more folky/celtic sound, but maybe as a first instrument that's not so important... I'm looking to buy my first mandolin, but I've played several other instruments (violin, piano...) so I'd like a nice one that would last me a few years. I really want a Weber Hyalite, but that may have to be a second instrument due to price...
Any other recommendations would be appreciated.

mbtk
May-27-2004, 3:46pm
I also looked at the Y2K but liked the Hyalite more because I read that it is a better crossover instrument... however, the one I looked at was new and on sale for $700, so, again, it may be great and a good price for a beginning instrument. #I just don't have the experience to know!

Eric F.
Jun-02-2004, 9:26pm
Hey, mbtk, a new Hyalite for $700 is a great deal. I also think you cannot go wrong with a Mid-Mo.

mbtk
Jun-06-2004, 5:03pm
Unfortunately it was the Y2K that was $700... I saw a used Hyalite for a very good price at folkofthewood.com, but got no reply to my email about it.
Thanks for the encouragement!