PDA

View Full Version : Brentrup Mandolins

Greg Saer
Mar-10-2006, 8:20pm
Here are pictures of 2 new mandolins Hans made for me . #They are great and he is a great guy.

Greg Saer
Mar-10-2006, 8:22pm
another pic

MML
Mar-10-2006, 8:23pm
Those are stunning! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Greg Saer
Mar-10-2006, 8:24pm
third pic

Greg Saer
Mar-10-2006, 8:25pm
one more http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

ShaneJ
Mar-10-2006, 8:34pm
Greg, those are beautiful mandolins and beautiful pics! Did you take the pics? I'll be adding a couple to my screensaver/wallpaper collection. (if you don't mind)

Congrats on the mandolins! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Greg Saer
Mar-10-2006, 8:41pm
thanks, you can certainly use the pictures http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif thanks for the compliments. My wife took the pictures. I'll let her know you liked them:)

ShaneJ
Mar-10-2006, 8:42pm
She has a great eye.

Daniel1975
Mar-10-2006, 8:57pm
Greg,
Those are sweeeet! Enjoy.

Dan

JEStanek
Mar-10-2006, 9:50pm
Congratulations. Those are beautiful.
Jamie

John M. Riley
Mar-10-2006, 10:54pm
man, I would kill for one of those......how in the world did your wife let you get 2??

Flowerpot
Mar-10-2006, 10:56pm
Man, that makes me want one so bad... wait, I've got one... well, two... but not an F4. Those are real beauties, and great pictures. Gives me BAS again. I'm afraid to try any more of his mandolins, cause I know how I get.

Greg Saer
Mar-10-2006, 11:30pm
Thanks guys, #I have the best wife in the world I guess! #The oval is not a straight up F4 as it has 14 frets to the body and an elavated fretboard which give it a little more dimesion than a traditional F4. #The F5 is Hans Bluegrass model and although new it is a monster! They sound and play better than they look.(and they look awesome, hanks Hans!)

berkeleymando
Mar-11-2006, 11:58am
Man, that makes me want one so bad... wait, I've got one... well, two... but not an F4. #Those are real beauties, and great pictures. #Gives me BAS again. #I'm afraid to try any more of his mandolins, cause I know how I get.
Beautiful mandolins (as always) from Mr. Brentrup.

However, it could be disturbing for the builder himself to know that there is a sub-variety of MAS called BAS! (Brentrup Acquisition Syndrome!).

Ray Neuman
Mar-11-2006, 11:43pm
WOW.....let me say that again, WOW.

I got to play these 2 this afternoon, and Greg is right, they sound much better then they look, and they are flawless beauties!

I can NOT belive how different they are though. The F hole is very complex, fast, very harmonic in tones and just begs to be run fast. The oval hole is DEEP, very throaty and can get away from you if you dont curb that attack.

Thanks Greg, fantastic examples of art giving form to fuction.

the grateful professir

Greg Saer
Mar-13-2006, 12:45am
Hey Ray, Gotta thank Hans once again he is a master. Let us know what you think of the oval after playing it a bit.

John M. Riley
Mar-13-2006, 1:03am
how much do those mandos go for??

Lane Pryce
Mar-13-2006, 8:25am
Greg those mandolins are terrific. You have to be proud new daddy!! Lp

Mandobar
Mar-13-2006, 8:32am
just when you thought it was safe to sign on to the cafe...............:p

Flowerpot
Mar-13-2006, 10:48am
Yea, and now I think I have peghead envy too. Those inlays are just too cool.

Glassweb
Mar-13-2006, 11:11am
Nice mandolins, but I just can't handle these fretless, scallopped extensions. I'm sorry, but I think they look ridiculous! Note to all mandolin makers... take a page out of Collings' book! For my money, what Collings has been doing with fingerboards should be the new "standard" design for those who can't stand pick click. An incredibly elegant solution to this problem. If I want "scallops" I'll order them at a restaurant!

Jim Roberts
Mar-13-2006, 11:39am
Different strokes for different folks. I like everything about Hans' mandolins...

Ray Neuman
Mar-13-2006, 12:04pm
Having played the oval hole (too much already smile), and it being the first mandolin I have encountered with the scalloped fred board, I can say, its art. I wondered how they would look in person, but Hans has made fluid movements from frets to oval hole. The extension floats beautifuly above the top and compliments the flow.

Yes, I am HIGHLY impressed and would order one JUST like this. I suspect it is a matter of taste, and thankfully there are other schools of thought and art beyond Mr. Loars.

the overly thankful professir

Glassweb
Mar-13-2006, 12:04pm
Absolutely, different strokes for different folks! But it just seems to highlight what's missing... I do think it's a misguided trend though.

Ken Sager
Mar-13-2006, 12:05pm
If I want "scallops" I'll order them at a restaurant!
Hmmmm.... scallops....

Scallops, who woulda thought we were talking about mandolins?

JEStanek
Mar-13-2006, 12:48pm
I disagree with Glassweb about the fretless scalloped extension. #I'll agree that on a mando without a pickguard the removal of that feature makes sense, when the pick guard is on there, the extension is a good design element. #What I love about Hans Brentrup's design is how the pickguard captures the curve and height of the scallop and follows it.

I would imagine an abbreviated fingerboard looking odd with a pickguard. #Luckily there are enough builders making stuff to light everyone's fire. #I doubt I'll stop gushing over the Brentrup designs anytime soon.

Jamie

PaulD
Mar-13-2006, 1:05pm
Great looking mandos... I sure wish I could pull off such a purchase. Don't get me wrong, my wife would be happy to let me buy as long as finances permitted her to buy her octave mando and a banjo! I'm placing another vote for scalloped fretboards as a design element. Maybe we need a "Post Your Scallops" thread (mando pics, not recipes!). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Paul Doubek

Glassweb
Mar-13-2006, 1:13pm
I'm loving this! Thanks to all of you who are voicing your opposing thoughts. That's what makes the world go round. Now, anyone for some pan fried scallops and a cold beer?!

Hans
Mar-13-2006, 2:18pm
Well, guess I'll weigh in here. As Professir said, form follows function. Floating pickguards are anchored with either two pins, or my choice, pin and screw. The extension support holds the pin and screw to the instrument. I like a good spread of 2-2-1/2" between pin and screw. One look at the Collings site and the MF-5 would show that their pin and screw or pins could only be separated by about 3-4 frets, or about 1-1-1/4". I have built instruments with no pickguard and have shortened the fingerboard extension for those wanting it. I don't normally put in fake frets because they look fake.

Gail Hester
Mar-13-2006, 2:54pm
Hans, it must be weird to have people talking about your instruments like you were not around. I love your treatment of the extension and pickguard. Itís both functional and very elegant and has become a real signature attribute of your mandolins. Those are two real beauties, bravo.

Markelberry
Mar-13-2006, 3:16pm
I love Mr. Brentrups F-4 major on my wishlist!

G. Fisher
Mar-13-2006, 3:31pm
I believe another reason for leaving the extension in place would be tonal qualities. There is a different in sound with mandos with out an extension and those with one.

Greg Saer
Mar-13-2006, 6:06pm
I think Hans would have built it with or without the extension but I have to say I really love the way it looks and I do think the additional mass has a positive effect on the tone. #Don Macrostie of Red Diamond mandolins(a guy I really respect) told me he once made a mandolin with a removable extension and he said that it lost some presence when the extesion was removed. #I may be recalling the story wrong , I am not sure, but it makes sense to me. #I think Hans also has some theories on mass and mass placement related to tone on his mandolins but the bottom line is tone and I think Hans' mandolins have "it". An elegant solution, pleasing to the eye and improving(in my opinion) on the tone. #Respecting and evoking the past while attempting to inovate functionally .

Hans
Mar-14-2006, 8:05am
Hi Gail, it is kinda weird, but you get used to it. I'm sure you are getting the feeling too as folks are saying some very nice things about your instruments. Rightly deserved too...they look lovely from the pix. Hope to run into you sometime and check 'em out in person and chat about mandolins!

jerrymartin
Mar-14-2006, 8:37am
What woods were used in this lovely brace of instruments?

Jerry M.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-14-2006, 8:09pm
I keep threatening to order a mando from Hans. He just smiles. But that elevated fretboard F4 was what I was thinking about too.
Until I do order one, I'll have to console myself with playing his mandos at Grass Valley and SuperGrass.

Hey Hans, whatcha bringin' to California this summer? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Daniel

Hans
Mar-15-2006, 6:16am
Jerry, the M23VBluegrass has a West Virginia red spruce soundboard and one piece red maple back. The M22V has an Italian spruce soundboard and Bosnian maple back. Daniel, I won't bring as many instruments as last year, but will bring the M4C and M22V, a couple of 23V's, an Eclipse or two, and Stealth. Looking forward to seeing you at Grass Valley!

Jim Garber
Mar-15-2006, 8:56am
Jerry, the M23VBluegrass has a West Virginia red spruce soundboard and one piece red maple back. The M22V has an Italian spruce soundboard and Bosnian maple back. Daniel, I won't bring as many instruments as last year, but will bring the M4C and M22V, a couple of 23V's, an Eclipse or two, and Stealth. Looking forward to seeing you at Grass Valley!
Hans:
I have been trying to interpret your style numbers but am having little luck. I have checked your site but I am sure that you are busy building rather than adding aditional photos and styles. How about a brief decoding for us non-cognoscenti?? 21 or 23, V or L etc.

Jim

sgarrity
Mar-15-2006, 10:23am
For anyone looking for a Brentrup, www.themusicemporium.com has a blackface 3-point oval hole that is just stupid cheap. My mando funds are depleted at the moment or I'd already have it.

Usual disclaimers apply! (I'm just a fan of Hans' work who hopes to own one someday.)
Shaun

Peakbagr
Mar-15-2006, 8:11pm
My Brentrup V23 is now 1 1/2 years old. It has a scalloped and fully fretted extension.
The only reason I don't ask Hans to build me another, is because I wouldn't have any money left over from the divorce settlement to pay for it.
Bravo, Hans. Your instruments are wonderful. Great designs and execution. As others have said, works of art that are wonderful to play and listen to.

Hans
Mar-16-2006, 7:31am
Hi Jim. I originally did not want to call them F-5's, and since the print was a 1923...
This did get a little confusing, but here is the "Code". M20's are oval hole A's, M21's F-hole A's, M22's are oval hole F with elevated fingerboard and 14 frets (M-4C is the F-4 copy), and M23's are my version of an F-5. Trim levels are no suffix, L, or V, and are shown and described on the website.
Sometimes I think I should just rename them all, but I'm afraid that would really confuse everything. The website is being updated, but that's going to take a while.

Jim Garber
Mar-16-2006, 8:33am
So, Hans, what do you call the three-points?

Jim

Hans
Mar-17-2006, 7:52am
Jim, the 3 point mandolins are M22C's. Probably should just call them "Orville". #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bob DeVellis
Mar-17-2006, 1:53pm
I got a chance to play the 3-point at the Music Emporium this past week.

Daniel Nestlerode
Mar-17-2006, 2:19pm
And...?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Daniel

Jim Garber
Mar-17-2006, 2:28pm
And...?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif
He must have been way too embarrassed to say that he bought it on the spot.

Jim

Bob DeVellis
Mar-17-2006, 4:08pm
Well, I guess I did leave things hanging. Let me preface my comments: First, evaluations are subjective. What I like, you may not and vice versa. Second, I play mostly Irish stuff and the tone I like for that music may not be what players of other types are looking for. Third, this mandolin was a prototype and may not be representative of later versions of this model. Fourth, I have boundless respect for Hans Brentrup.

The first thing that struck me, obviously, was the unique appearance of the 3-point. The body is larger than a 2-point F and it's very impressive. It's definitely an attention-getter. As others have commented, the scooped fretboard extension and correspondingly scooped pickguard are a distinctive feature that I really liked. The feel of the ebony pickguard under the right hand is very luxurious and the clearance makes for a click-free playing experience. The fingerboard is narrower than I prefer, and flat. My preference isn't shared by everybody. the neck is pretty standard 1 1/8" width. I've gotten accustomed to somewhat wider, radiused boards and tend to prefer them, although I do have some instruments (e.g., a 1917 F-4) with thin, flat fretboards.

The voice of the instrument is loud and by no means unpleasant but I was disappointed to find that it wasn't exactly what I was looking for. It had a tone I associate with an instrument that hasn't been played much and I suppose that could be the case, although the instrument was built in 2004. When I think "oval hole sound," I envision a fat, warm, complex tone. There are certainly other desirable tone characteristics that different oval holes produce but I tend to prefer what I've just described. That description, to my ear, didn't fit this particular instrument. On other threads, we've discussed the difference between various oval holes and have noted that the later ones have more of a crisp and less of a rich tone. This, to my ear, sounded more like those later oval holes than a teens Gibson -- more crisp than rich. Whether that's a good or a bad feature is a completely subjective preference. My words to the salesman, after spending a good bit of time with the instrument were: "I wanted to love this instrument. I like it, but I don't love it."

Let me restate, however, that this is just my personal subjective impression based on my tastes (such as they are). I would never suggest that this isn't a very nice instrument. Also, I'm certain that if I were to order an instrument from Hans, he could build something to my particular tastes. Nothing about this 3-point diminished my confidence in his ability to build fine instruments to the user's preferred specifications and tonal balance. It's just that this particular instrument didn't match my particular preferences. This underscores the importance of test-driving instruments before buying them. Even when built by a world-class maker, if it wasn't designed with your preferences as the target, it may not fully satisfy. For someone else, this could be their perfect instrument. At it's present price, with a Calton case, I think it's a steal if it matches your tonal preferences.

Mandobar
Mar-17-2006, 7:48pm
bob, knowing the history on that mandolin i don't think that it has been played much since it left minnesota. i wish that i'd bought it when hans sold it. perhaps it's not too late.

JAK
Mar-17-2006, 9:11pm
Mandobar, it's never too late for a Brentrup; especially if you get there first!

iampeterfonda
Mar-17-2006, 11:41pm
I had my hands on that three point for about an hour a few months ago. Itís a neat instrument. Iíve got an Italian top M23 under construction as I type, and just couldnít afford the three point as well.

Bobd, I know what you mean about it sounding a little modern, I had that same sense. I did like it though.

If I recall, Hans has made quite a few changes to that model including the wood for the sound board, and the current ones sound more period than that one. Hans, please correct me if Iím wrong about that.

Hans
Mar-18-2006, 8:14am
Hi Bob, thanks for the straightforward evaluation of the instrument. This was the prototype, and I have made quite a few changes in the design. My experience with 3 point is that they do not sound like a teens F-4's. My 1912 3 point F-4 sounds nothing like my '21 F-4, but my (my wifes http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) demo M22C sounds quite a bit like the '12. Every other 3 point Gibson that I have had the pleasure of trying has had this general sound also. If you are looking for fat, warm, and complex, the M4C fills that bill. I do like the tone of the 3 point for oldtime music.
Clayton, all of the 3 pointers that I have made have red spruce soundboards, and 14 fret necks. I have experimented with the back materials. Lately, I have been thinking of a 12 fret neck, with an Italian spruce top, but right now I have no time to build it. Maybe next year.

Mandobar
Mar-21-2006, 9:52am
i went to the music emporium saturday afternoon to see the 3 pointer. as with all stores the humidity is always key. right now the mandolin is in it's open case in my living room at 40% humidity. (yes, it's mine. for all who were eyeing it and trying to think "should i buy it" sorry, it's found a permanent home in the east coast's largest Brentrup museum) i remember all the things Hans told me about it the first time it was for sale and his comments later when i was eyeing it again at the gallery of strings. i had to have it.
i noticed that the bridge was leaning a bit saturday. right now it looks like it has settled back in. i've been playing it since saturday afternoon and it sounds like a very different mandolin than it was at the music emporium. it does not look like it has been played much over the last few years, but it got a real workout the past few days from me with a little help from two heavy hitters- david surette and jesse brock who both played it briefly yesterday afternoon. (david labeled it "the best mandolin i've brought in yet). it has a big deep voice which is getting more prominent as i play it. nice even sound. remember it has a red spruce top which takes some steady playing to really bring out the tone. and the humidity in any store is hard to control with the door opening and closing, etc. so, i think after a bit more time in the right humidity, plus a little setup work it will be 100%.

i'll post some pics in another thread later today or tomorrow as i am off with it to visit my luthier friend this afternoon.

all i can say is "wah-hoo!".

mary, happy as a clam. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Bill Van Liere
Mar-21-2006, 11:44am
I have lost count Mary. Is that three or four now?

Bob DeVellis
Mar-21-2006, 12:31pm
Mary - congratulations. Despite it's not fitting my personal tastes to a T, it's a very nice instrument and I hope that you will get a lot of pleasure from it. Hans, your comments agbout the differences in tone between a three-point and an F-4 make good sense. You are to be commended for bringing new types of instruments to the market. I'd love to get a chance to hear one of your F-4 models, about which I've only heard great things.

sgarrity
Mar-21-2006, 1:43pm
I'm glad somebody from the 'cafe snapped that one up. It was a beauty.

Mandobar
Mar-21-2006, 9:20pm
u sure have lost count, bill. it's #5 and one more to be completed in May of this year.

bob, knowing your penchant for sobell's i don't think it's your type of sound either. i owned a small-bodied sobell mando for a short time. too complex for my tastes and it never stopped ringing. it has since gone to happier playing grounds.

i too commend Hans for building such a diverse group of mandolins.

ledmandlin
Mar-23-2006, 11:46pm
Mary, surely there should be a photo of you and your Brentrup clan, at least in the Women with Mandos thread. #Congrats on picking up the 3-pointer.

Bruce

Yonkle
Mar-24-2006, 9:45pm
[QUOTE]Nice mandolins, but I just can't handle these fretless, scallopped extensions. I'm sorry, but I think they look ridiculous! Note to all mandolin makers... take a page out of Collings' book! For my money, what Collings has been doing with fingerboards should be the new "standard" design for those who can't stand pick click.
[Unquote:]
If "pick click" was a major problem for most, (which it isn't)Lloyd Loar would have changed his design. Granted the fretboard extension is mostly for looks, but as Hans said it does help with the pins to hold in a pickguard.
I think builders today tend to leave the fretboard with this design, mostly because of "Tradition". Somewhere along the line, somebody had a F5 and "clicked" alot so they sawed off the extention, but lost the traditional look. So someone else removed the frets to gain a little room, but then it looked unfinished with open fret slots, so the natural cure would be to sand down the wood to rid the fret slots and to also gain even more room for the pick, hence no more click, looks finished, looks traditional, with out fake frets involved.
Collins style or the Sam Bush style is fine, I just think most people are "old fashioned" at heart and most of the time when someone trys to re-invent something that has earned the title for the benchmark of perfection, you can solve a small problem for a few people but lose a classic look. All the scallop does is solve a small problem for some and keeps "Tradition" alive.
Why should there be a "Standard" in the industry, if you build, you have the freedom to do whatever you what, if you don't want a extended fretboard, build it that way.
If you tend to "click" when you pick, you could always trade your Loar for a new Rover, might even get a little money back, enough to buy a new pick. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif JD

Greg Saer
Mar-04-2007, 2:04pm
Well, I have had the pair of Brentrups for over a year now, and they just keep getting better, thanks again Hans!!! Sold most of my other mandolins , totally satisfied.

dasspunk
Mar-05-2007, 9:42am
These tow certainly are purty Greg... you're a lucky man.

I just got back from the Winter Bluegrass Weekend in Plymouth MN, where I once again had the pleasure of picking Hans' brain/mandos. He's is a top-shelf builder and human being. Thanks Hans!

Bill Van Liere
Mar-05-2007, 7:17pm
Greg, thanks for checking back in. I have owned a Brentrup Model 21 since 2003, it keeps getting better and better and....

Greg Saer
Oct-21-2008, 3:29pm
Well its been about two and a half years and I thought I would check in once again and let you guys know that the Brentrups and just getting better with age. I could not ask for more. Thanks again Hans you and your mandolins are the best.

BlueNote
Oct-21-2008, 8:02pm
I have never played a Brentrup but from the fan club Hans has established they are no doubt one of the best. I also wanted to express appreciation to Hans for his prolific posting on this forum. I've learned so much from his willingness to share.

Stephen Lind
Oct-24-2008, 11:16pm
i was lucky enough to play Han's mandolins
at IBMA this year
i spelled him in his booth a couple of days so he could take a break~o)

the only mandolin that i played in Nashville that got my attention after playing Hans' was the D'Angelico at Gruhns

i will own a V5

THP
Oct-25-2008, 1:09am
I had the pleasure of meeting Hans last winter in Minn. I was blown away by all aspects of his instruments. Just amazing and the consistency in his building and TONE is incredible. I have played many and many mandolins over the years and Han's mandolins are the most amazing i have got to play. Will have one very soon!
Anthony Hannigan
www.hickoryproject.com
www.musicmoose.org

JAK
Oct-26-2008, 12:45pm
Life is too short not to own a Brentrup!:)

DougC
Oct-26-2008, 12:57pm
Hans, do you have a picture of a M4C? I didn't see one on the website. Thanks.

DougC
Oct-26-2008, 1:07pm
The photo gallery thumbnail images could have captions below each with the model number. I see that comes up when the large image appears. Websites always need something don't they? Thanks.

surfandstrum
Oct-28-2008, 8:02pm
I'm drooling over the 2 PML's that are in the classifieds...

Chris Biorkman
Oct-28-2008, 8:17pm
I'm drooling over the 2 PML's that are in the classifieds...

Me too. If I wasn't completely satisfied with what I've got, which I am, I would definitely go for one of them. Someone should hop on those quick while they are still available.

John Ritchhart
Oct-28-2008, 8:41pm
I hope to own one, one day. Hans is a class act, having to listen to this back and forth. He is taking the right approach. His mandos are works of art. You may like or not, they stand on their own.

sgarrity
Oct-28-2008, 9:05pm
I agree with Chris. Those two PML models look GREAT!

Ken Olmstead
Oct-28-2008, 9:47pm
u sure have lost count, bill. it's #5 and one more to be completed in May of this year.

bob, knowing your penchant for sobell's i don't think it's your type of sound either. i owned a small-bodied sobell mando for a short time. too complex for my tastes and it never stopped ringing. it has since gone to happier playing grounds.

i too commend Hans for building such a diverse group of mandolins.

Hope Hans sends you a christmas card each year! :))

I agree, a family portrait would be cool! ;)

Bill Van Liere
Oct-29-2008, 8:26am
Those two PMLs do look great and wouldn't that be a great ChristMAS present.

Sorry for typo, my right hand shakes a thinking about one of those two mando.

Still playing and loving my 03 Model 21 Italian.

BVL