PDA

View Full Version : The Joy of a Mandolin/Introduction

austinbristow
Mar-10-2006, 8:23am
Hello everyone at the cafe. Ive posted on here before but only to ask the same beginner mando questions you all get 100 times a year. Anyways my mando vocabulary/knowledge is finally reaching the point where, when i read the cafe board, i dont feel as clueless as i do in a math class.

Anyways my names Austin and i live in Norman, Ok. At 20 I think im below the age median on the board. Throughout my teenage years i experienced music, not hands on but listening, from #### to amazing. At one point I discovered my fathers cd of The David Grisman Rounder Compact Disc. I fell in love with the mando. At the time i was dealing with my on again off again mostly off interest in the drums, which i had been playing for several years.

Now i dunno if ill catch heat for it or not on this board but at the time all i listened to was the dead. Last summer i followed my love for jam music to Red Rocks to see String Cheese. At the concert i was lucky enough to see ymsb who rekindled my love for the mandolin.

As soon as i returned to Norman i began the pursuit of buying a mando. My girlfriend of four years, who is now a music education major at OCU in oklahoma city, told me no one should be neglected from attempting to express themselves musically through whatever medium they choose.
So she purchased me a cheap mandolin from the local music store. At $150 its not a beauty but guess what, turns out it has the same fingerings as a good mandolin!

Anyways since the summer the absolute joy i have felt everyday from my mando is overwhelming! Some days when im at school and begin to think about it i feel like a (younger) kid the night before christmas. I cant wait to get home and play it. UNfortunatley this becomes all i can think about and the rest of my school day becomes a loss ~.

To conclude my rambling my mando has literally changed my life, as well as my musical taste. The mandolin has opened up my eyes to the lovely my music of Bill, Sam, Chris and basically any band containing the instrument of my dreams.

If anyone reads this whole thing and subsequently feels cheated of time im sorry. I just wanted to express my love for the mandolin and how it came to be.

Well im headed out for spring break in a few days but when i return i hope to become a friendly face(Username) to some of you on the board!

cyeiser
Mar-10-2006, 9:49am
Hear, hear! Know what the best part it, Austin? It doesn't go away...

Mental Floss
Mar-10-2006, 10:05am
Thank you for your post. I am excited to hear your passion!

MandoRebel
Mar-10-2006, 10:07am
Austin,

This year I will celebrate the 24th anniversary of my 20th birthday. I've loved the Mandolin sense I was a young kid. My parents hauled us to every Bluegrass festival they could find.

It wasn't until two years ago that I decided to learn to plat the mando. My Dad bought a Ricky Scaggs and Kentucky Thunder album and I fell in love even more. I bought a beginner mando at a flea market of all places and the fun started.

Now , almost two years later, I own a wonderful Eastman 605 and I love it even more. I don't play real well because of a left hand problem but I keep on trying.

Watch out for MAS, though. It can hit at the sight of amazing looking mandos. and can be devistating to the wallet. I played a Gibson Master Model F6 yesterday and walked away with a tear in my eye, but my wallet was safe.

Stay with it, check back here for all the best information and advice. I love these folks.

Keep on pick'in,

Russell McMichen

Tighthead
Mar-10-2006, 10:17am
Hey man, no shame in enjoying the Dead. You know that Jerry Garcia was a banjo picker before he formed the Dead, right? I have an intersting link that details his banjo background.

If you haven't checked them out, listen to The Gourds, from Austin, TX. They do a killer cover of Snoop Dog's Gin & Juice that has a long section of mandolin lead with just two chords (A & D). You may have heard that Phish, or String Cheese, or Dave Matthews did that one, but nope it is The Gourds. Lots of their other songs include mandolin as well. Check 'em out, you'll dig 'em. They describe their music as "music for the unwashed and well-read." Their newest is a great album, called Heavy Ornamentals.

I'm a bit older at 32, but I share your love of the mandolin. Something is just so right about it, even on the el-cheapo "mandolin shaped object" that I play.

Anyway good luck to you and just play that thing!

Keith Erickson
Mar-10-2006, 10:56am
Austin,

There is something about the mandolin that brings that always brings the best out in people.

We might have our opinions on the types of music we play, but I have to say that I have never heard anyone bad mouth the mandolin.

Now for your addiction to the mandolin, I am happy to say that there is no cure!!!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

You are just going to have to live with it. lol http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

gnelson651
Mar-10-2006, 2:13pm
Its great that you are starting at a young age, you'll have alot of years to enjoy learning and playing the mando. Me, I started mando 2 years ago at age 51. Wished I started earlier but better late than never! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

The mandolin is such a beautiful looking and sounding instrument. I love playing it all the time and can just sit a noddle away the day if I let it. But I also try to stay disciplined enough to practice the scales, apreggios and right-hand exercises to keep progressing as a musician. I have alot of catching up to do and my dream is to become a good solid enough mandolin player that a band would want me to play for them. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Welcome to the mandolin community! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

fred d
Mar-11-2006, 1:59pm
welcome aboard I'm 65 started last year and feel just like you about http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif my mandolins being retired I can play as much as I want (or get sore fingers) enjoy

Tina MBee
Mar-12-2006, 6:15pm
Hey Austin!I started the mandolin knowing nothing about it & I've come to love it. I'm older -48-& it's nice to know there are people older than I am that are beginners as well judging by the replies to your post.Starting at your age you'll have so much more time & your brains, hands,& fingers are younger as well http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I picked out a bunch of bluegrass CD's - not knowing anything at all about it-& got one that is all mandolin music. It's called Mandolin Extravaganza I think and "the Dog" plays Wayfaring Stranger and it's so good it's beyond good - in fact the whole CD is simply amazing. It was so beautiful & warm here in VA today I sat on my back deck today & practiced. I didn't sound any better but it was nice just the same. Anyway, good luck and I feel clueless every time I pick up my mando- God willing I'll get better some day :>
TinaBee

lbracale
Mar-13-2006, 8:27am
Wow! Its amazing to hear how most people on this board so so passonate about the mando. I play piano and I just started playing the mando a few weeks ago. I must say, I already feel closer to this instrument than years at the piano! There is just something about it. I am even interested in music I would normally never listen too. My tast, my writing, my joy for music has all changed becuase of the Mando. I just thought I would share a bit about me here...there is much more but I dont want to bore anyone so I will stop now.

"...Dont let a busy life take away your time with music!...You have to make an effort to keep it alive."

and i learned that the hard way.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Mattg
Mar-13-2006, 5:29pm
Austin

[QUOTE]Now i dunno if ill catch heat for it or not on this board but at the time all i listened to was the dead."

No heat here, listen closely to "Ripple" and you'll hear some great tremolo fill. David Grisman did alot of stuff with Jerry and I think that's who gave him the title "Dawg". "Rider" and "Dark Hollow" are both great BG jam songs.

I share your feelings about learning the mandolin. I've been playing guitar for years and stagnated. I built a flattop mando 18 months ago and started playing shortly afterwards. The mandolin seems to urge me along and I've been learning much more on this instrument than I ever did with the guitar. It can be addicting. Beware MAS!!!!

Nolan
Mar-13-2006, 6:43pm
Great story...

travisburch
Mar-14-2006, 2:36pm
cyeiser -

dude me too. I'm 21, discovered the mando 2 yrs ago (surprise present for xmas - I was like "what is that?"), and i haven't looked back. I've played piano my whole life, always liked music but now I love it. I went from watching my beginner DVD to playing for like three to 7 hours a day and it has changed my whole life. amen bro

lbracale
Mar-16-2006, 10:40pm
Travis,
You play piano too? So do I. My wife gave me my first Mando for Christmas and I really love it. Are you teaching yourself?
What DVD are you using?

LateBloomer
Mar-17-2006, 7:52am
The mandolin sure is special. I had never played an instrument (unless you count the snare drum in the Jr. High band). I couldn't read music (still can't). But I saw a Bluegrass special on CMT and John Montelone was featured. He was practically hugging one of his mandos, and said something like "Aren't they just wonderful!" I thought to my self "Yes, and by golly I need one!" Our local flee market had one mandolin, which I bought for $100. That was three years ago. Do I have MAS? hmmmmmm... three years and I currently have three mandolins - my daughter now bangs away on the $100 cheapie.

I have found the mandolin has brought me great joy - from learning how to play (I can now read Tab), but also brought me many new friends (some local people and some people from the mandolincafe). Mandolin players and Bluegrass people seem to be the best kind of people in the world!

david blair
Mar-17-2006, 12:56pm
Hi Austin,
Howsit? I have to agree about the Dead. I'v seen over a hundred shows, and have hours and hours of tapes. I heard Grisman, and also became interested in mandolin music.
My advice to you young man; MARRY THAT GIRL WHO BOUGHT YOU THE MANDOLIN!
David

Jasper
Mar-17-2006, 8:00pm
Yea for you! I started playing a bit over 3 years ago, and I still ponder the mandolin during the day at work...this web site doesn't help either. But thoughts of fingering chords in different shapes and runs wander through my mind on and off. I suppose it's the adult version of day dreaming...something we used to get into trouble for at school when I was a kid. Keep at it and the passion will never pass.