PDA

View Full Version : Serial numbers & security

VictorLouis
Mar-08-2006, 6:48pm
They are just stick-on labels. They could be removed, or defaced, quite easily. Would it be acceptable to reach in through the soundhole and discreetly write the number on the back-plate? As small as possible of course, in black marker.

IF it were discovered by the thief, it could still be defaced. However, your record of the distinct location where you did this, coupled with the uniqueness of your instrument, might very well help you in recovery. Obviously, one might be able to engrave it, in lieu of writing, for the best choice.

What do you folks think?

JEStanek
Mar-08-2006, 7:41pm
You could carve your name on the back scroll like the guy who carved LOVE there...

Jamie

Stephen Perry
Mar-08-2006, 7:59pm
Sticker up inside on the top, only visible with mirror.

Steve Farling
Mar-09-2006, 8:21am
You could pull one of the tuning machine plates off and engrave the number on the back. Or take the tailpiece off and do the same thing on the back of it. The tailpiece might be easier to check out if done in an area you could check with a mirror. Just a thought, they're free!

danb
Mar-09-2006, 8:28am
Frank Ford has an article at frets.com (http://www.frets.com) about affixing a hidden label to the inside of the box. I wouldn't recomment any kind of engraving or permanent marring of the instrument though!

Frank Russell
Mar-09-2006, 12:11pm
Some makers, like R.L. Givens, signed the underside of the top plate. My A4 has a sentence or two, but I've only looked hard enough to make out his signature. Frank