PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass picker trying contem. Gospel

RHBoy
Mar-07-2006, 1:19pm
Hi,
I am going to help someone who I have not met face to face this weekend record 4 songs on a contemperary gospel cd. He has given me an example or two of what he wants on his original tunes (it sounds like celtic fill work mostly, as I understand it). He knows I am more of a bluegrass picker. What I come up with when playing along to the recordings he sent me sounds, therefore, like bluegrass. What would be some ways to sound more contem. gospel? I thought about capo'ing up a fret or two and more scale work. Any thoughts on techniques or tips on sounding like a folksy modern gospel mandolin? Thanks! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Albert Whiting
Mar-09-2006, 6:30pm
The advice I would give is don't use a capo.

Ted Eschliman
Mar-09-2006, 8:28pm
Do what the mandolin does best...

How's your crosspicking? This is a nice rhythmic treat, gives a pulse, outlines the chord, but stays "background" and out of the way.

Play some single note countermelody, an occasional tremelo (those who request mandolin kind of expect that "signature" treatment, or they'd hire a guitar player). You can even double the melody occasionaly.

Chop? I'd stay away from it if a drummer is in the mix. The hi-hat handles that, but if you want to do rhthym guitar figures, those are nice, as long as you are supportive of what the rest of the band is doing. Don't try to do something too different by sticking out; it will just muddy things.

Good luck. Mandolin in this environment is currently "writing its own rules," so experiment and have some fun!

David M.
Mar-10-2006, 12:01pm
I can relate. I play sometimes w/our church's praise and worship team and this is a far cry from old time or BG. I do lots of tremolo, open chords, some cross picking and lots of simple fills. The open chords with minimal chopping help give the contemp. feel and adds lots of texture to the songs.