PDA

View Full Version : FINALLY sampled a wider range of Mandolins!

Dioptase
Apr-03-2004, 2:39am
Hey Guys!!

Just got back from Springfest in Live Oak, Fl this week. Mike Marshalls mandolin workshop with Josh and Jeff Pinkham, Steve Pruitt and friends was excellent. Loved the Mandocello he brought out at the end!

Travelling about the festival grounds I found myself playing a wide range of mandolins... Flatiron F-5 Artist (montana era), Gibson F-9, Breedlove Quartz, Breedlove Cascade, Weber Gallatin Maple Upgrade, Weber Yellowstone...

And I came away from it all with a renewed happiness at my A-9 purchase. None of the instruments I sampled compared tonewise to my ear-- and none but the Cascade played noticably better. Jeff Pinkham had just done a setup on the Cascade, and it played like a dream. I wish I had let him play with my A9 for comparisons purposes! But that Cascade played like no mandolin I'd ever tried before...

But to be honest... the tone of Ronnie Mccouries Gil took the award for the weekend. --WOW-- Even Mike Marshalls Loar didn't have the same appeal to my ears.
Micah

Nick Triesch
Apr-04-2004, 10:02pm
A lot of folks don't give the cascade enough credit I think. They really do have a wonderful neck. Top choice tonewoods. Most all I have tried sound wonderful. But because they don't look like the bluegrass mandolin of choice many folks stay away from them. Relly kind of a smame because I think they are one of the best out there. And a great deal to boot. IMHO. Nick