PDA

View Full Version : plain steel string differences?

erick
Mar-05-2006, 11:56pm
Has anyone ever listened to the differences ( when the guages are similar) in the plain steel ( E and A) strings of various strings sets? I'm wondering if there's any difference in the tone of the E and A strings between a D'Addario J74 set and a D'Addario JS 74 set. I'm also curious about whether there's any differences in the sound of Monel E and A strings, or Gibson's Sam Bush strings in contrast to J74s. thanks!

Fretbear
Mar-06-2006, 3:34am
"When the gauges are similar" is very apt, as what is called (for instance) .011" by D'Addario will be (and feel) different than say, GHS...so the answer to your question is yes, there are differences between the same size on different brands's sets although there shouldn't be between two different D'Addario sets that use the same plain wire gauge. I now start with a set (it doesn't matter what I or anyone else uses as strings are so personal) and change out the A & E strings to suit me....FQMS has very good prices on bulk brand-name singles to help keep me out of the poorhouse....

250sc
Mar-06-2006, 7:44am
I don't hear a difference in unwound strings from brand to brand.

Celtic Saguaro
Mar-06-2006, 9:50am
I agree with 250SC. I buy E strings in bulk since they are the only ones I break. I buy D'Addario sets mostly, but I'm not picky about the separate E strings. I occasionally break new E strings while changing and substitute other brands because that's what I can get in singles easily. I don't notice any difference at all with non-wound strings.

mike_c
Mar-09-2006, 12:19am
try a ghs .011 vs a d'addario .011 there is a difference...even more of a difference in the same comparison with .016 A stings

Jacob
Mar-09-2006, 6:44am
There are only a small number of musical wire manufacturers.
Most string makers purchase the wire used for their strings from these.
GHS , D'Addario and a number of other well-known string makers use wire by the same supplier, Mapes (http://www.mapeswire.com/specialtywire.html).

The probability is very high that plain steel strings of the same gauge from one these string makers are identical to those from another.

Mount Joy Wire Corporation provides a chart of breaking loads (http://www.mjwire.com/mjw_mandolin.html) for their round and hexagonal mandolin wire.

Steven
Mar-09-2006, 7:48am
This is an interesting post.I allways figured the same as Jacob but I must say that I hear a noticable difference in the unwound strings of GHS and Dean Markley,the E strings are the same diameter .011 and the A strings on the Dean Markley set are .001 smaller than the GHS I use.I get much better tone and "feel" from the Dean Markley,they seem to be greasier(?) coming off the pick and they seem to last longer.I know nothing about this so this is all just based on my impressions.I understand that the plain strings are coated with tin and wonder if the depth of the coating is what is making the difference.Another observation I have found that the string diameters do vary by about .001(+/-) from the advertised dia. Perhaps what I am experiancing is the breaking load difference.What do you all think?

Jacob
Mar-09-2006, 8:47am
That's a good point about coating the wire in string making, Steven.
That could create differences between brands.