PDA

View Full Version : Ibanez 2-point

SoreArm
Mar-05-2006, 10:14pm
I am looking to purchase a mandolin, not too expensive. I have a chance to get an Ibanez 2-point mandolin with a single round (oval?) hole in the top, sunburst finish. Made in the mid-1970's.

Is anyone familiar with this model and would you consider it a good learner's instrument? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Adam Tracksler
Mar-06-2006, 7:06am
they are nice, i learned on a 70's Ibanez. IT may need a trip to your local luthier for a setup.

mythicfish
Mar-06-2006, 7:18am
And don't fall for the "Lawsuit Era" story!

Curt

Celtic Saguaro
Mar-06-2006, 10:07am
I really wanted an Ibanez A style back in the 70's when I was learning, but couldn't afford it then. My local shopkeeper had one that sounded better than anything he had in the store including a variety of new Gibsons. (That was not a good era for new Gibsons.) The Gibsons would have been a much better financial investment, but if it's still in one piece, I'd have no problem betting that Ibanez still sounds better.

mrbook
Mar-06-2006, 10:11am
In the mid 70s I bought a "Pan" 2-point, probably the same instrument, for $60.00 in an LA pawnshop. The bridge was broken (easily replaced), but at the time I felt like I bought a Loar in a barber shop. I've gone on to others, but kept it about 20 years.

Martin Jonas
Mar-06-2006, 12:41pm
There's one on Ebay UK right now <a href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBANEZ-mandolin-vintage-instrument-No-Reserve_W0QQitemZ7394696592QQcategoryZ10179QQssPag eN
ameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">here</a>.

Martin

JohnF
Mar-15-2006, 1:08pm
I believe this is the same beast under the Ventura name. Nice sweet sound with semi-flatwounds, altough the bass is thumpy. Neck is thick compared to my A-9, which cramps my hand.

JohnF
Mar-15-2006, 1:09pm
I guess the attachment didn't work. Another try.

fatt-dad
Mar-15-2006, 1:17pm
Solid top models of the "Made in Japan" 2-point mandolin are often fine to great mandolins. The ply top ones are too timid for my tastes, not that you couldn't learn just fine on it either way. I've sold solid top 2-points (both f- and oval-hole) in the $350 to $500.00 range, depending on condition and case.

Good luck.

f-d

arbarnhart
Mar-16-2006, 10:37am
But that Ventura would probably have to go for less - it's been wrote all over. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

jefflester
Mar-16-2006, 2:14pm
So there's Craven, Tim O, Sam, and Ronnie on there. Who are the other two (illegible) signatures?

mrkrishna
Mar-17-2006, 10:31pm
Back in '83, I traded a Peavy Backstage amp for a two point El Degas. It was a terrific mando for learning on.To this day it is still one of my favorite neck/fingerboards combos . The plywood top seperated after 4 years, and after 2 failed repair attempts,the thing turned into a solidbody with two pickups . Funny thing...the axe has way over 1500 hours on it and has almost NO fret wear.I remember fretting a slotted board with wire I got from Stew Mac, and after maybe 10 hours playing there was already the start of divots! Go figure...Kerry K

JohnF
Mar-18-2006, 4:08pm
The Ventura, which I believe is a solid top, sounds nice with semi flats. The other signatures are Drew Emmitt and Peter Rowan. Dawg is also on there on the upper side.
Also, like I said, this mandos bass is almost too much and sustains for a day and a half. Think the lighter THomasticks would help?

JohnF
Mar-19-2006, 10:46am
Sorry I sidetracked the issue here. these are good beginner instruments if the setup is good and you want to play jazz or old time, etc. This is no blegrass chopper that's for sure.

mehrsam
Mar-20-2006, 10:39am
I love those oval two-pointers.

That looks like a Suzuki "S" on the tailpiece.

celtic_knut
Mar-21-2006, 1:59pm
Speaking of Suzuki, were the Suzuki two points of this design built with solid or laminate tops?

acousticphd
Mar-21-2006, 4:00pm
That looks like a Suzuki "S" on the tailpiece

Yep, I have one of those, labeled "handmade by Kiso Suzuki violin shop". Looks almost identical to the one pictured above, but with "Suzuki" script on the headstock. Another distinguishing thing is the "through-nut" cut through the fingerboard.
The quality of these may vary with the vintage. Mine has a solid top. The back might be solid, but seems to be lined on the inside with another thin layer. Another Suzuki 2-pt appeared on ebay this week.

cutbait2
Mar-24-2006, 5:03pm
no, most are clunkers

SoreArm
Mar-24-2006, 5:13pm
no, most are clunkers
Well thanks everybody for your input. Although it seemed to stray from my original question, it has been an interesting excercise. Now perhaps if others would like to discuss other similar similar a new thread could be instigated.