PDA

View Full Version : I'm snakebit! Looking for AJr Snakehead.

dan@kins
Mar-03-2006, 2:32pm
I've got a hankerin to add a Snakehead AJr to my studio.

I've got an email out about one in the classifieds, but I'm not first in line. . .

Tell whatcha know about 'em. Tell me whatcha like about 'em.

Point any out for sale on the web.

Thanks!!!!

soapycows
Mar-03-2006, 3:15pm
Buffalo brothers has a cheap one that requires some repairs. You'll need to contact them it's issues. I emailed them once, but I forgot the problems, it could be fixed, but I just didn't have the money. Buffalo Brothers Website (http://www.buffalobrosguitars.com/)

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-03-2006, 3:18pm
Gruhn has or had one

www.gruhn.com

Darryl Wolfe
Mar-03-2006, 3:20pm
Yep, still there, but a bit pricey compared to the 2 paddlehead Jr's he has. But it does look almost new

John Rosett
Mar-03-2006, 3:56pm
the 12thfret has one for around $1300 us. they're at 12fret.com. good luck

dan@kins
Mar-03-2006, 4:21pm
I just wanted to jump on here and thank you all for the replies. This is going very well!

judith
Mar-03-2006, 10:40pm
I just saw Jr's on Gruhn's website and am pretty sure a couple of 'em were snakeheads. I will likely get a bunch of flak for this, but I have doubts about the superiority of snakeheads. Sure, some of 'em sound great, but so do the others. Perhaps its my ear, but I don't hear a profound sound difference. Plus, depending on the size of your hands, they have narrower necks - ok for some, uncomfortable for others. And, snakeheads cost more. If they are so superior, why were they made for just a short time? Ok, I am ducking now. Judith

judith
Mar-03-2006, 10:49pm
p.s. there's a Jr (paddle head) for sale on Vintage Instrument's website. They're in Philadelphia and I can say with certainty that their prices are very fair. The owner is Fred Oster. I have had many dealings with him. The site is:
vintage-instruments.com Good luck

John Rosett
Mar-05-2006, 9:27am
looks like you dodged the bullet, judith.

judith
Mar-05-2006, 11:35am
Phew. I sure did, unless everyone's been away for a few days. J

dan@kins
Mar-06-2006, 12:48pm
judith, can't speak for the superioty or lack thereof of the snakeheads. . . I just want one.

You might try the other thread going about A's in this vintage section.

mandorose, I went for that one at 12th fret and missed it, it had sold. It was right up my alley price wise and although well worn, it looked like a clean example.

Gruhn's looks real nice, its just a bit more than I had planned for and I think if I keep searching I can be happy for less dolars.

Thanks again for your helpful responses!

danb
Mar-06-2006, 12:54pm
Judith- everyone is entitled to an opinion! I like the jrs.. all of them.. the paddlehead ones sound more bassy to me is all, while the snake ones sound more like their bigger brothers. A paddle Jr doesn't sound like a paddle A though, it's a whole different thing. They usually have pretty wide grained tops. Sometimes multiple piece tops & backs.. I have had one in the house recently that has a 3-piece back, and a single piece top! The sound is quite unique though for those paddlehead jrs, and it is very pleasant! I'd have a paddlehead Jr over an A1-A4 from another period!

Steve Perry
Mar-06-2006, 1:45pm
I'm no oval hole expert, but I played the snakehead at Gruhn's this past Saturday and it had THAT tone that said oval hole to me... #Much, Much better than any of the paddle heads hanging next to it.

Steve Perry

danb
Mar-06-2006, 1:51pm
Currently the only secret deal in the vintage world.. Ajrs sound fantastic http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Dave Reiner
Mar-06-2006, 9:05pm
Steve, glad to hear you liked the A Jr at Gruhn's.

And Dan, thanks for a very helpful secret...

Can't wait until that A Jr lands on my doorstep in a few days... #

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Dave

judith
Mar-06-2006, 9:56pm
Ok. I really don't intend to be a curmudgeon here. I honestly get confused about all of these things. I love A-Jrs too. Had one I wish I had never sold. Now I have a 1929 A-O. Interestingly, I often play with someone who has a 1921 or 1922 paddelhead A Jr. The sound of our mandos is very much in the same "family" of sound I think. I don't really know what to make of what lots of folks say about snakeheads vs paddleheads and the differences among members of the A family (beyond differences in the amt. of binding, the color, the rosettes). I've never been able to reach a firm conclusion. I've gone to our local vintage shop here and played all of the mandos he's had #- the gamut of A's, A- Jr's and various snakeheads. i've played the old Gibsons that various acquaintenances have. I don't think I could come anywhere close to a definitive conclusion about what mando belongs to what sound family. In the long run, I guess it boils down to which one sounds the best to one's subjective ears. J

Gail Hester
Mar-07-2006, 12:22am
judith, I questioned all of the hype about snakeheads until we owned both as well as playing lots of others. The snakeheads are for real in my opinion and are very special instruments. Although our 1920 paddle head was a very nice instrument it was totally different than our 1924 snakehead. The paddle head was warm, dark and tubby sounding (no chop to speak of but real nice) while the snakehead is louder and very punchy with a respectable chop. It's the difference between, "oh, that's very nice" and "wow".

Steve Perry
Mar-07-2006, 10:25am

Dangit!... #I knew I should have kept my mouth shut!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Enjoy it, Dave!

Steve Perry

Dave Reiner
Mar-07-2006, 11:39am

Dangit!... #I knew I should have kept my mouth shut!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Enjoy it, Dave!

Steve Perry
Thanks again, Steve. #If it's any consolation, I made an offer on the A Jr before I saw your message.

Dave

MML
Mar-08-2006, 8:11pm
I think Gail has summed it up pretty good, the snakeheads are punchy. I have 2 snakes, a 23 A2-z, outstanding, responsive to the touch my ,favorite and a 24 A1 thats very punchy and clear with an A and E string to die for.The slender necks also make me want to play faster stuff and more aggressive styles. Compared to say my #paddles a 22-A4 & 21-A2,they are full,sweet,yet tubby and more hollow sounding.Great for de-stressing and playing happy little diddies or is it ditties or diddy's http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Loren Bailey
Mar-08-2006, 8:52pm
If anyone else is interested in Ajr Snakeheads I've heard this one is pretty darn good.

From the home page go to "Mandolins" the Ajr is near the top of that page.

Accoustic Guitar (http://www.acousticguitar.net/home.html)

dan@kins
Mar-09-2006, 9:39am
Thanks. I'm selling an acoustic guitar to finance this mandolin. It should sell this week. I hope some of these hold out til then. I may have started this thread too early. Thanks for the links though!

judith
Mar-09-2006, 11:01pm
Guess you saw the ad for snakehead jr on these classifieds, right? good luck. J

dan@kins
Mar-10-2006, 10:12am
Yes. I'm buying the one in the classifieds!!! In the process right now. Actually my girlfriend is giving it to me for my birthday!

Thanks for the help on this thread! It should be at my office sometime next week!

danb
Mar-10-2006, 10:29am
Hey Dan, don't forget to take it in to get a set-up.. most of them need a little tweaking here and there. The pegs are sometimes stiff, the bridges need a little tweaking, the nut slots etc.. you might be suprised how much better still that can make it sound

kyblue
Mar-10-2006, 11:43am
Congratulations, Dan!

How cool that your girlfriend is buying it for you. Do you know any guys in Louisville that would be of like mind that are looking for a dumb blonde? I hadn't considered that previously when contemplating my MAS affliction. Maybe something to add to my match profile.

Paula http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

judith
Mar-10-2006, 12:34pm
To add to Dan's post, believe it or not, my A had the bridge on backwards!! Judith

dan@kins
Mar-10-2006, 12:50pm
Thanks Paula! #Yea, she's a good one alright! #I've never been given an instrument as a gift. #It feels good!

Now about the guys in Louisville. . Hmm, I know all sorts of guys in the area, we'll work on that! #However, a woman of yourcaliber probably needs little help in that dept.

Thanks for the info Judith! #At Paula's recommendation I'm going to get John Hamlett (sp?) to do a set up on this as well as my two point that needs some attention.

I'm up to 3 mandolins now. #An F9, a fine hand crafted two point, and this A Jr on the way. #All will offer major differences in sound so I don't feel like I've over done it too much.

I am in the process of selling a cedar topped guitat though so I don't amass too many instruments. #That will put me down to one acoustic, my Martin D18GE, which is the only one getting much playing time these days.

Thanks again for taking the time to post folks, I truely appreciate it!

Oh and Paula, I will have all three mandolins with me at the Gault House! #Would like to see your Duff and for you to take a look at mine.

My best!

dan@kins
Mar-17-2006, 12:46pm
My new gourd is on the brown truck for delivery today!

I'm twisting in my chair all day!!!!

dan@kins
Mar-17-2006, 3:59pm
The 1925 A Jr has arrived!

What a big sounds from the G string. (first thing I noticed after getting tuned up)

A wide neck (which I like).

A very sweet tone from individually picked notes. Volumous but almost compressed sounding, as if I were using a compressor. Very interesting. I can already tell this will be a fiddle tune machine!

I will get John Hamlett to do a fine set up for me, just a few tweaks. However the set up is very playable right out of the box.

The beat finish is very cool. Got my mojo workin!

Going to a picking party tomorrow with lots os fiddlers! Cant' wait to break this baby out. This get together will have a large group of people all very capable of appreciating a mandolin like this one!

I'll get up pics and a review after the weekend!

I gotta go play.

Thanks everyone for assisting.

kyblue
Mar-17-2006, 4:42pm
Have fun, Dan!

Paula