PDA

View Full Version : Washburn mandolin

bradeinhorn
Jan-03-2006, 11:01am
anyone have any info in this mandolin, or value? i'm considering purchasing one.

it is an oval hole mando. the top is not the scroll style, but a normalshaped headstock. the bach and sides are apparently braz rosewood.

anybody?

Jim Garber
Jan-03-2006, 11:06am
Like this one?

http://a.im.craigslist.org/bP/gQ/J1uUDcjh8APQt3dks0XSuu5qf8Qc.jpg

Jim

bradeinhorn
Jan-03-2006, 11:07am
exactly- is that yours?

Jim Garber
Jan-03-2006, 11:17am
No But I probably saw it in the same place as you did.

Typical 2 point L&H flatback. I think these are pretty nice if they are in good playing condition.

I have a copy of a page of a similar one dated 1919. I can scan it later today, if you like. It appears in that catalog as a model 1422 and is called "New Washburn Flatback Mandolin".

Jim

bradeinhorn
Jan-03-2006, 11:59am
cool,

think i might go give it a play as i'm in the neighborhood. what do you think is a fair price assuming it checks out?

B

Jim Garber
Jan-04-2006, 10:15am
I imagine in good shape and didn't need any work, maybe $300-400. I think -- if it was that one I saw -- they were asking $450. Let me know how it turns out.

Jim

bradeinhorn
Jan-04-2006, 3:41pm
thanks jim,

found out it is a model 2442 and is from about 1920.

anyone ever play one of these?

in any event, i should be able to give it a play by sunday and will report back.

think it might be a good partner to my collings. totally different sound i'm sure. hopefully that sound is not junky.

Eugene
Jan-04-2006, 10:07pm
I've played a great many from the Lyon & Healy shop in this and similar styles. Flat-backed, canted-topped mandolins from this era are mighty abundant: L&H, the Larson brothers, various Regal incarnations, Martin, Vega, etc. all built to this style. I like them a whole lot, but the sound will not be like an archtop. Be certan the cant (the crease behind the bridge) hasn't collapsed before you commit.