PDA

View Full Version : 1932 F4 on ebay

John M. Riley
Jan-24-2006, 4:21pm
Whats the main difference in the F4's made in the early 30's and the loar era f4's?? DIfference in graduation? Neck? Sound? Anyone have any info. Looks like there is a pretty nice looking one on ebay right now.

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-24-2006, 4:55pm
At a glance it appears to be more like a '29 model and fairly teens/'20's oriented instead of '30's oriented

But, there is something bad wrong with the neck and neck joint area. #It almost appears like sides back and neck made for a old top. #Look at the shape of the big PH scroll in one pic and the size of the heel outside of the body in the point side pic

Bob A
Jan-24-2006, 5:08pm
I've always preferred the pre-Loar F4s to the later instruments. I don't think that mandolins from the 30s were as skillfully crafted as they were when they were the bread and butter of the Gibson company. I also am not fond of trussrods; no doubt others have other opinions. Seems to me that the Loar era was about the F5, and that's where the cachet is important. The only real "advantage" of an F4 from the period would be the thinner neck, if you like that sort of thing. Obviously I don't.

Links
Jan-24-2006, 5:39pm
I agree with Bob. Much prefer the earlier, no truss rod 4's.

Hans
Jan-24-2006, 7:23pm
That peghead is pretty wierd...I'd guess it was a hack reneck. Button looks strange too. Can't imagine Gibson doing that.

danb
Jan-24-2006, 7:57pm
I agree with Darryl.. the peghead looks non-original (maybe a clumsy F2 "upgrade"), so does the neck joint (HUGE upside-down V shape instead of the more correct slender one).. many things look wrong actually!

John M. Riley
Jan-24-2006, 8:33pm
yeah, I thought the neck joint looked a little funny

f5loar
Jan-24-2006, 10:19pm
The label looks fake to me. Lots of things wrong with this one. I've not seen a top left scroll like that on anything made in the 20's.

sunburst
Jan-25-2006, 1:29am
Yep, everything looks wrong, AND, the seller has changed the description to 1922. Said it was a typing error.

To me, the top is the only part that doesn't look "fake". Hard to tell in the fuzzy pics, though.

Looks like someone had a destroyed F4, kept the top, and built a mandolin under it.
When did the little sideways point on the fingerboard extender quit showing up? The fingerboard might be Gibson too.

danb
Jan-25-2006, 6:26am
I think most likely it's an f2 "upgrade".. the back burst looks wrong.. the neck heel looks wrong, the binding on the peghead is mis-shapen.. all could add up to someone taking an F2 and upgrading to an F4. When you try to bind that tiny peghead scroll you get one that looks like that from a couple others like it I've seen in the past.. The writing on the label is not standard either, normally in a flowing hand in pencil or blue fountain pen..

jim simpson
Jan-25-2006, 7:59am
Picture/link?

Jim Garber
Jan-25-2006, 8:14am
1932? 1922? Gibson F4 on eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7385042934)

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-25-2006, 8:48am
I believe Sunburst and I had it right to begin with. #The top is likely the only original piece of wood. #Probably as a result of an F4 conversion "hey, maybe I'll make a mandolin for this top" Also check the location of the truss rod, also check mismatch of "The" and "Gibson" Gibson never combined styles of patterns

Pay attention that the guy says he makes mandolins and is a luthier supply dude. #Hmm

Ken Waltham
Jan-25-2006, 9:43am
I agree completely. When I look at it I immediately see several things that aren't right. The peghead logo is a new, modern replica.
The entire back and sides are repros, IMHO. I have seen a lot of them, and the wood isn't right. Old wood has different grain, and a different overal look than this one. It looks much more modern. The binding isn't right, either. It's too "square" and edgy looking, and the wrong material.
The neck heel on a 1922 would be pointy, but not like that one. It's a completely non Gibson shape.
This would explain why the tuners and tailpiece are both repros.
Stay away from that one entirely.

Tom C
Jan-25-2006, 10:25am
Plus the little curl on head stock is wrong along with the angle of the slant.
The tuners are not aligned evenly. But then again neither were Loars, right?

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-25-2006, 11:10am
angle of logo slant can be correct for 1929, like this, but they have the teens flowerpot

Moose
Jan-25-2006, 11:23am
I'm NOT interested in the e-bay "thingy", but you guys sure know your Gibby's! - I 'salute' and admire you for your knowledge and "contributions" - Moose http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Bob A
Jan-25-2006, 11:49am
The fact that the label info is quite dark and readable is also odd. All I've ever seen were done in pencil and moderately to extremely difficult to read, yet this one looks like it was written in black ink.

Jim Garber
Jan-25-2006, 12:11pm
Here is another: 1922 F4 (http://cgi.liveauctions.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6590789252) on an ebay live auction, bid to $7000.

Jim

Ken Waltham
Jan-25-2006, 12:49pm
The flowerpot in question is not correct for a '22 or post Loar F4. It's modern repro.
The guys here that know me, know I'm friends with Charlie, but, the new Gibsons' aren't right either. Wish they were.....

sunburst
Jan-25-2006, 1:30pm
...Probably as a result of an F4 conversion...
I think you nailed it, Darryl.
The long split in the top on the point side is consistant with damage from removing a top hastily. I bet that top was lying around somebody's shop left over from one of those "fake Loars", and somebody made a "fake F4" out of it.
Who would have thought, when that top came off, that there would ever be a market for a fake F4?

It also looks like there might have been a bridge impact sometime. It's hard to tell, but it looks like there's a fracture around the treble bridge foot. Probably said "This one's got a ruined top anyway, let's make an F5 out of it.".

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-25-2006, 1:59pm
Thanks John. To be very honest, I am looking for pictures of an F4 top I sold on eb*y several years ago. It was split there too. It was from a 24 F4

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-25-2006, 4:58pm
relisted

Moose
Jan-25-2006, 5:33pm
...busted!!## http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Jim Garber
Jan-25-2006, 6:37pm
Now it is here (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7385380344), starting at $2500 and listed as a 1922.

In the meantime, the 24 F4 that was at a high of 8600 finished at, BION, $15,100! Incredible. That one did look like it was near mint, but still...

Jim

John M. Riley
Jan-25-2006, 9:56pm
Wow, wonder why the guy relisted.... People must have been asking too many questions...