PDA

View Full Version : How long can a Gibson last?

sprucetop1
Jan-24-2006, 5:17pm
Sitting here playing my 1915 A4 and realised that I've owned it 36 years next month...it was "only" 55 years old when I got it. It's 91 now...... How long will these mandolins last?........John

RichM
Jan-24-2006, 8:15pm
Considering we've been playing Stradivari's violins for over 300 years now, I'd say quite a bit longer.

Professor PT
Jan-25-2006, 12:02am
Yes, we'll all be long gone by then. I want to teach my son to play so he can teach his son, etc. It's cool to think of my F-9 in the hands of my grandson some day. But hey, until then, it's mine, all mine! My son is only six, so I've got a while.

mandroid
Jan-25-2006, 2:18am
just dont allow someone to break in and whack it with a fireplace poker. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

mandolooter
Jan-25-2006, 2:28am
mines 100 this year...sounds better every day!
I'd say if treated with respect she's good for a few more hundred easy.

Eugene
Jan-25-2006, 7:50am
My oldest mandolin was made ca. 1835 and I still play it with regularity. ...Of course it is a real mandolin in being bowlbacked.

JGWoods
Jan-26-2006, 9:03pm
Considering we've been playing Stradivari's violins for over 300 years now, I'd say quite a bit longer.
All of them have had numerous neck resets, fingerboards replaced, tuners, soundposts, etc. and if you look at it that way , and do the same to the Gibson mandolin, you can make it last 300 years too.

Big Joe
Jan-26-2006, 11:30pm
We are restoring a beautiful 1903 Gibson F3 3 point in our shop currently. It is not unusual to work on instruments over 100 years old. How long can they last? As long as they are cared for they can last indefinately.

f5loar
Jan-27-2006, 12:00am
Keep the termites out of them they should last thousands of years!

sprucetop1
Jan-27-2006, 5:21am
Well hats off to the guys in Kalamazoo in 1915....they sure knew how to build a mandolin !

JGWoods
Jan-27-2006, 4:00pm
It's kind of like George Washington's axe- the handle has been replaced 3 times and the head twice, but it's still George Washington's axe.

If you keep fixing it when it breaks it will last forever.

PlayerOf8
Jan-30-2006, 11:30am
Is the question how long will it last or how long will it continue be a functional musical instrument? Some players buy old instruments thinking that they sound better. Sound has nothing to do with age. I recently played NEW Red Diamond F model. It is less than 6 months old and it sounded great. The key with any instrument, is proper setup by someone who knows what they are doing. On my 1920 Gibson A I would love to have a booming .040 G string, however a .034 is about the best I can do says my setup guy.
We all must admit that Orville Gibson was no Antonio Stradivari.
gm

Darryl Wolfe
Jan-30-2006, 12:02pm
this long?

John Flynn
Jan-30-2006, 12:08pm
It's kind of like George Washington's axe- the handle has been replaced 3 times and the head twice, but it's still George Washington's axe.
I didn't know George played the electric guitar...way cool! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

bsimmers
Jan-30-2006, 12:17pm
I know nothing about building mandolins. Help me out. What is it that allows some mandolins to have necks separating, structural cracks, glue not holding up..........and some mandolins that hold up for 40+ yrs without needing anything but refretted, new nut & bridge? ASSUMING that temerature and humdity, and care are the same. I'm not talking about sound and action, but just the glue, the wood, the craftsmanship. I've played some good homemade mandolins, but I'm afraid to buy them because I don't know what they'll be like in 15 yrs.

My mandolin is 15 yrs old. It's not a bowlback, so I guess it's an unreal mandolin.

danb
Jan-30-2006, 12:28pm
Well I've got a pair that are over 100 years old.. both still ticking over nicely with surprisingly little work required over the years to keep them running.. the '22 looks like an '04 too http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Hans
Jan-30-2006, 1:23pm
Sounding great out of the box and sounding old have nothing to do with each other. Instruments do improve tonally with age and playing. As for how long any mandolin will last, it will last for generations with the proper care. Neglect is the major enemy of instruments. Instruments like anything else, require maintenance.

arbarnhart
Jan-30-2006, 3:01pm
bsimmers,

Hans nailed the major reason - neglect. The other two, IMO, are initial choice of materials and luck. By material choice, I mean the type and quality of wood and glue used to build it. With the old Gibsons, there is some expectation that there is some consistent quality in materials. What can you do about luck? Not much. I am talking about wood that looks fine and would pass muster with experts that inexplicably warps or cracks. It happens, though quite rarely.

sprucetop1
Jan-30-2006, 6:28pm
Thanks to all for the interesting posts. Still sitting here playing my old A4. I think this one had its fair share of neglect ( and a whole lot of playing) before I got it in 1970, but some careful repair and care and attention since then have kept her on the road. The (original) Handel tuners are very worn though....and I think these may be the 1st item to need replacement. Would be a shame to lose those inlaid buttons.......

Does anyone know the gauge of strings that were current in 1915? Impossible question perhaps....but it would be interesting to know the original specs. when the A4 was new.....John

Karen
Jan-30-2006, 7:13pm
Mando Johnny:
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
Pretty funny.
I hope our '16 A, '18 F2 & our '13 F4 (soon to be ours)
lasts until we can't remember what we were supposed to do with them. #At this point, we can't hope our son will play them when he inherits them but maybe his girlfriend will become our daughter-in-law & she will play them. #She's getting a good start on the one she has.
I'm certainly no expert, but to me, there's nothing like the old Gibson's in terms of how they sound, feel, smell and how great they look. #
Karen

Professor PT
Jan-31-2006, 12:10am
The (original) Handel tuners are very worn though....and I think these may be the 1st item to need replacement. Would be a shame to lose those inlaid buttons.......
You know, Hans Brentrup just posted on this thread, and I know he has taken some Handel buttons off worn tuners and placed them on new ones for a few of his F-4 mandolins( which look just freakin' amazing, I might add). You should contact him about the process.

Chip Booth
Jan-31-2006, 2:22pm
Does anyone know the gauge of strings that were current in 1915? #
I asked this some time ago and the general response was that they were likely a similar gauge to a modern set of J74s or something like that.

Chip