PDA

View Full Version : Mandolin on Ebay

John Zimm
Apr-02-2004, 1:44pm
I am wondering what you think of this mandolin on ebay. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3715086753&category=308) It looks good, but being fairly unknowledgeable of different makers, I have not heard of the builder. #

-John.

Tom C
Apr-02-2004, 2:04pm
It looks like a lot of work went into it. For the price, it seems like a good risk.

JiminRussia
Apr-02-2004, 8:49pm
Ask the seller if the carvings on the back are apliques or bas-relief carvings in the actual wood. I'd think that anything under $1,000 would be a good price for that mandolin if the carvings are "for real". That is, of course IF there is an appoval period. This one doesn't look like it would have the "bluegrass sound". It may be beter suited to traditional dance/fiddle tunes or Celtic music or even classical music. As always, "caveat emptor".

Bob DeVellis
Apr-02-2004, 9:14pm
It looks to be sort of a spin-off of an old Lyon & Healy. Based on that, I'd assume that the goal was a tone with less bark than a bluegrass instrument. But it does have f-holes, so who knows. I'd say that it looks great for the current price. Of course, I have no idea what it sounds like. I'm guessing that if you aren't someone who considers only one particular sound "the right sound" for a mandolin, this might be worth taking a risk. It's certainly a visually striking instrument.

Greenmando
Apr-02-2004, 11:54pm
Sure is pretty, looks like a birds eye quilt.