PDA

View Full Version : Who uses Shure KSM137 Mic?

Steve Farling
Mar-02-2006, 1:52pm
If you use the Shure KSM137 mic, tell me if you like it, and how you use it. Are you using it with an amp or a PA system? How far can you get from it and still be picked up? I know I should just go somewhere and try one out but that would be a long drive from where I live. Thanks in advance.

Pete Martin
Mar-03-2006, 5:18pm
I use it for a PA mic and love it. It is a clean, high gain mic, so depending on your board and the sound guy, you don't need to be real close. I like to mic right on the f hole of my Gilchrist with the gentler bass roll off engaged.

pathfinder
Mar-05-2006, 11:47am
Very few posts to this thread, so I'll weigh in with my two cents on a Sunday morning. #I've just 'built' my second cup of coffee, so let's commence a review! #

IMO, this is a great little condenser mic. #I'm a big fan of the quality, consistency and durability of Shure's dynamic mics, so I paid full retail when I pulled the trigger for my first KSM137 several years ago. #It's actually a recording mic, and I'll confess that I started 'backwards' like I do with many things in life. #I just wanted to experiment running my mando through a condenser into a Trace Elliot acoustic amp. #In other words, for live playing (bluegrass). #I happened to have a few bucks to spare at the time and, after researching the 109, 137 and 141 online, opted for the intermediate model and ordered one through my local music store. #I live out in the boondocks (by choice) where we're lucky if we see a Shure 57 or 58 on the store shelves!

When it arrived, I loved its sound and sensitivity, so I experimented with plugging it into my PA and board. I was sufficiently impressed that I've scooped two more KSM137s on eBay in the past year (for far less than I paid when I pulled the trigger for my first one). #

I mainly use them for recording fiddle, mando and guitar simultaneously with jam buddies who come over to the house, the main benefit being better EQ and mixing, since they're identical mics from a manufacturer with a good reputation for consistency.

They're not the cheapest cardioid mic available, and I can't profess that I've tried all the rest. #Arguably, they're probably overkill for a non-pro like myself, but I don't care. #I'm retired and having a lot of fun with them. #

Regarding optimum playing distance (and depending on your amp or PA board), a KSM137 will easily pick up an acoustic from 5-6 inches (for solos) or 5-6 feet (for chopping), provided that you don't wander outside its cardioid polar range while you're playing back-up. #There's virtually no 'bleed' coming over from other instruments in the vicinity, provided your jam buddies don't do a 'walkabout' while recording and accidentally encroach on your mic's turf. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

As you probably know, they need a phantom power supply so ensure that your amp or PA are compatible.

And if you go trolling for one on eBay, beware of auctions advertising this model as a 'second' (which is an eBay synonym for 'junk' IMHO). #No, I didn't get burned, but that's only because I've heard some horror stories.

BTW, I have no financial interest in Shure products (wish I did). #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Hope this helps. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

Steve Farling
Mar-06-2006, 10:51am
Thanks guys, I think I'm going to go for this mic as soon as I get the rest of the money up. I plan on running it through my Crate acoustic amp for now, and will eventually go to a PA system. I'm supprised there aren't more people using this mic. It seems like a logical choice for live music. It's a little expensive, but like you said, the quality is there. Thanks much!

johnparrott
Mar-06-2006, 2:25pm
I agree that the 137 is a good mic for recording. If you use one on stage, you should probably be ready for anything and add a shock mount (Shure A53M, maybe)to your shopping list.