PDA

View Full Version : Old Wave Oval A-style

sgarrity
Mar-01-2006, 11:56pm
Following are a few pics of the Old Wave # 342 I just got from the classifieds. #I love the blackface. #Not to mention the beautiful one piece maple back. #It reminds me of a glass of Johnny Walker Gold.

As for sound, it is just awesome. #Loud, open with great projection. #You can really feel this thing rumble. #"Muddy Creek" and "The Squirrel Hunter" have never sounded so good. #One of the most striking things about it is how light it is. #You barely feel this thing hanging from your shoulder. #My oval hole MAS has been beaten into remission! # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Shaun

sgarrity
Mar-01-2006, 11:57pm
Another

sgarrity
Mar-02-2006, 12:00am
Beautiful!

sgarrity
Mar-02-2006, 12:01am
Just couldn't resist this shot.

John Flynn
Mar-02-2006, 9:20am
Welcome to the "Old Wave Blackface A Oval Owners' Club!" It's a very exclusive group. I love mine, #352. Enjoy.

Nathan Sanders
Mar-02-2006, 10:14am
Wow, that is a great looking mandolin Shaun. Can't wait to hear it.

Mojo
Mar-02-2006, 11:31am
Oh man, I saw this mando right as it was posted in the classifieds, and immediately replied - I wanted it Baaaad! However I just couldn't get the funds together quick enough. (sigh)

Glad to see it found a good home!

Pete Martin
Mar-02-2006, 12:46pm
Welcome to the "Old Wave Blackface A Oval Owners' Club!"

I think Bill builds the coolest sounding oval hoiles anywhere, I'm just thrilled with my new H2 (also blackface).

Pete Martin
Mar-02-2006, 12:46pm
And he builds great "oval holes" as well http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Lane Pryce
Mar-02-2006, 4:46pm
Crazy good back wood!! And the bottle aint too shabby either!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif Lp

Lee
Mar-02-2006, 6:41pm
Didja ask Bill about the woods and whatnot?
I like Bill's few-frills approach to his mandolins. A simple "swoosh" headstock inlay, the oval ring inlay, unbound fretboard and headstock. And he always features the woods in some way too.

sgarrity
Mar-02-2006, 8:53pm
I haven't talked to Bill about this one yet. But there was a card in the case that lists the serial #342, Englemann top and V.P. Hard Maple back. I do like the contrast between the simple appointments and the stunning wood choice. It is definitely an eye catching instrument. Another thing I forgot in the first post is how easy this mandolin is to play. The playability is absolutely first rate. Fits my hand perfectly.

Shaun

ab4usa
Mar-03-2006, 9:25am
Shaun,

Mine (351) was delivered in December of 04. Bill usually makes them in litters of 12 you yours might have bee a litter mate of mine. I'm no expert but I couldn't be happier.

kyblue
Mar-03-2006, 9:40am
That is one classy looking mandolin. Wish I had some cash when that came up.

Enjoy!

Paula

oldwave maker
Mar-03-2006, 10:17am
Shaun- that VP is actually UP, the back came from a cabinet maker in the keweenaw penninsula in northern michigan in 1999, say ya to the UP! the top is 1994 harvest engelmann from atop Grand Mesa in western colorado, sometimes red mineral streaking gets hidden by black stuff, but I'll never reject good tonewood for cosmetic reasons if I can help it. You may still have notes left on the 30 year/30 note warranty!

sgarrity
Mar-03-2006, 5:52pm
Thats pretty cool that you can remember exactly where the wood came from Bill. And I couldn't care less what the wood looks like underneath the finish because the sound is just perfect! Looks like our mandolins are at least cousins Alan. If your's is anything like mine, I know it's a keeper.

mandomick
Mar-05-2006, 6:43pm
Hey Shaun, glad you're liking your Old Wave. I have Oval hole "A" #363. Mesquite neck, back and sides with desert ironwood fingerboard and peg head veneer. Also has one of Bill's handmade bridges on the "roof shake" redwood top.

Very sweet looking back on yours. ENJOY!