PDA

View Full Version : White Faces

testore
Mar-01-2006, 4:13pm
Is anyone making whitefaces anymore? Everytime I see one I'm inspired to do the same thing but wonder how it would be accepted these days.What about the sides and back? I know what was traditional but what else would be cool?

Baron Collins-Hill
Mar-01-2006, 4:26pm
one of the rigel gypsy-Q's is a white face, i dont have a pic, but im sure someone else does.... Ted?

Baron

PaulD
Mar-01-2006, 4:37pm
Mandohack's Gypsy-Q pics. (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=15;t=19121;hl=cream+rigel)

AcousticusMaximus
Mar-01-2006, 6:26pm
White Weber (http://www.mountainmusicshoppe.com/featuredinstruments.htm)

johnwilson
Mar-01-2006, 6:46pm
"First wine from a teaspoon, then beer from a bottle." Prof Harold Hill.
Anyone with your finishing talents should leave the white washing to Tom Sawyer or me.

testore
Mar-01-2006, 9:19pm
OK but does anyone else like them? I mean REALLY like them? Like I said everytime I see one of those from the teens I want to make one.

Chris Baird
Mar-01-2006, 9:34pm
I like em'.

Magnus Geijer
Mar-01-2006, 9:46pm
I like them enough that I'm making one for my #2. There's a picture of a whiteface 1919 K2 mandocello on The Mandolin Archive that's directly responsible for that particular choice of color.

MML
Mar-01-2006, 9:49pm
Ben Wilcox of BRW mandolins has a nice whiteface on his web site, at least last time I checked.

johnwilson
Mar-01-2006, 11:54pm
I think it's a matter of tradition, pricing and priorities. I would love to have an A model whiteface and an A model black top, but I would BUY the natural finish or sunburst if it was a custom order or if all three were available unless the price difference was greatly different.
I think the same could be said for three pointers and oval holes. I'd Iove to have my F-4 back again, but I'd still want to play an F-5.

mandroid
Mar-02-2006, 1:50am
the white one with the Cab Calloway white tuxido of course.
Heidi, Heidi, Ho ! [no, it was minnie, not heidi ] http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

danb
Mar-02-2006, 6:06am
I know of a couple original Gibson White vintage custom F4s.. Only one in the archive, but I'm chasing pictures on a few more.

Fun stuff. A couple collectors out there are desperate to find a whiteface snakehead!

carleshicks
Mar-02-2006, 7:09am
There is a white face snake head at Elderly for $1500 but it is in pretty rough shape. I am going to try to get to Lansing this weekend I'll let you know how it sounds.

MML
Mar-02-2006, 7:24am
carleshicks, The white face at Elderly is a paddlehead.Looks to have really lived its life to the fullest http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif nice tuners too..

carleshicks
Mar-02-2006, 7:55am
Sorry I never clicked on the image to see a full view I just asumed it was a snakehead because it was a 1923. It does look rough though thats fo sure.

Mandobar
Mar-02-2006, 9:34am
the "amana" white a3 at elderly is on hold as of today. that mandolin sold for around $1k on ebay last spring. i remember those two little squares on the headstock.

danb
Mar-02-2006, 9:46am
as far as I've seen, there are only paddlehead A3s with nickel or black truss rod covers.. the channel cuts through the inlay. Leads me to believe that the necks were completed (inlay veneer attached) minus the tuners.. and then installed on a body, painted white. It would be neat to find an original whitesnake (rock on!) but so far.. none exist!

testore
Mar-02-2006, 11:49am
kyswede,
I just saw that one yesterday. It's soo nice.
Chris are you making any? if not will you be or would it have to be an order?
Couldn't sleep last night because of this thread. What else is new.

johnwilson
Mar-02-2006, 12:08pm
A-5 style, nicely figured back and sides, nice tuners, some tasteful pearl on the bound headstock, pearl nut, bound pickguard. How about an ivory or even a pink ivory wood adjustable bridge?

testore
Mar-02-2006, 12:32pm
John,
Is that an order?