PDA

View Full Version : Prodigal 5

Don Grieser
Feb-28-2006, 1:31pm
Well, I'm the high bidder with 7 hours to go, but the reserve has not been met. Anyone played this mandolin or any of the Prodigal 5's? Did they capture the Loar A-5 sound?

Jim M.
Feb-28-2006, 2:01pm
Steve Stone reviewed a Prodigal A5 for Vintage Guitar, but I don't know if it's the Compton one:
Prodigal Review (http://www.vintageguitar.com/gear/details.asp?ID=140)

Tom C
Feb-28-2006, 2:05pm
You're not getting it for that amount.

Don Grieser
Feb-28-2006, 2:09pm
I know. Guess everyone is waiting till the last 15 seconds as usual.

Tom C
Feb-28-2006, 2:23pm
Not the reason. -Even if nobody else bids on it. There is a reserve on it that has not been reached. It is probably somewhere near the buy it now price of $7500.

Jim Garber
Feb-28-2006, 3:10pm
For those who want to watch from the comfort of their own home, here is <a href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Prodigal-5-A5-mandolin-owned-by-Mike-Compton_W0QQitemZ7392828306QQcategoryZ10179QQssPag eNa
meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem" target="_blank">the link</a>.

Good luck Don!

Jim

danb
Feb-28-2006, 3:14pm
Well, I'm the guy running the auction to give Mike a hand. Here's how he described it to me..

The A5 "Prodigal" is more or less a faithful reproduction of the "Griffith" Loar. It is not exact, but very close structurally. My Prodigal has some of the characteristics of the original, in that it is not a bluegrass mandolin(in the older stylings anyway, but would fit today's tonal requirements very well), but has that silky midrange. The sound is less harsh than some F5's. You know what I mean, that biting, rattly sound. The better mandolins I've played have complexity in tone, a tone that is more than surface noise. The notes are not just loud, they have the character of the box. This A5 has that attribute, and is very clear and balanced overall, in that it is not noticeably more responsive in one register than another.

I'd sum it up by saying it's very cool, but not necessarily in the way you'd expect.. just like the Loar A5 won't appeal to every palate, this one is imbued with a vintage flavor.

danb
Feb-28-2006, 3:15pm
btw, the reserve is around market value not taking into account anything to do wth Compton's name tied to it

Spruce
Feb-28-2006, 3:40pm
...."just like the Loar A5 won't appeal to every palate"

I wouldn't want those taste buds.... # http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif

"It is not exact, but very close structurally."

Someday a builder is just gonna nail the vibe and feel of that mandolin....
Maybe distress it a bit...

Lawrence Smart come to mind....
I know he spent months with that mando, and studied it extensively.

"btw, the reserve is around market value not taking into account anything to do wth Compton's name tied to it "

I'm kinda surprised it hasn't been scooped for the Buy it Now price...
Should be an interesting 4 hours....

JimRichter
Feb-28-2006, 4:00pm
Actually, Dan's right, it's very near the secondary market (used) price for one of those. #Frankly, I've had a hard time understanding Mark Taylor's pricing on the Prodigal instruments. #The argument is that the Prodigal A5 is the only true attempt at replicating the Griffith A5 and it was done through the Taylors (Tut) who actually discovered/owned it.

It's a very nice, great-sounding instrument and the price isn't jacked up because it's Mike's. #To the best of my knowledge I don't think Mike's used it in any session work, so there really isn't any recorded history to go with it.

Jim

Don Grieser
Feb-28-2006, 4:28pm
It's outta my price range at the BIN price or I'd be the owner right now. If you've been reading Mike's journal, you'll know why it's on the market. I don't quite understand why it hasn't been snapped up or even bid on more than it has.

danb
Feb-28-2006, 4:32pm
*shrug*, it usually happens in the last couple minutes...

bgmando
Feb-28-2006, 5:26pm
What's the quick explanation Mike has given for this and his other mandos being on the market?

danb
Feb-28-2006, 5:30pm
Raising cash, wants some other stuff.

Typical MAS territory http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

danb
Feb-28-2006, 5:54pm
Or rather, to buy a car.. just looked at his journal..

JimRichter
Feb-28-2006, 6:01pm
Mike's an open book--just ask him or read his journal. #He's got the same bills and financial worries that most of us have. #

Even with a Grammy award or two, it doesn't mean that you're living high on the hog. #

Jim

f5loar
Feb-28-2006, 10:02pm
I think after Mike got a taste of all those Loars in his hands at the LoarFest West he's ready to move on and get him a Loar. Sounds like he's onto one and needs to unload the cream stuff to make it happen. The Taylor repos of the mystical Loar A5 are as close as it gets. Not exact due to copyright laws but a much better duplication of the over body and tone chamber than Gibson tried to do with the A5L which by the way is not even close. Why Gibson just didn't go for it when they now have the people to do it I'll never understand. It's the ultimate A5. Dudenbostel also has a really fine sounding and looking A5.

SternART
Feb-28-2006, 10:11pm
I think Mike is a really hard workin' fella......

sgarrity
Feb-28-2006, 10:17pm
He's definitely a hard workin', dedicated musician. If I didn't have a mando on order I'd buy it in a heartbeat!

Brady Smith
Feb-28-2006, 10:31pm
Don...placing bids on items early only does one thing......gives the seller a bigger profit.

Tom C
Feb-28-2006, 10:57pm
No it does not. Most folks have a limit. No matter how many bids there are with 10 minutes left, somebody who wants it will put in their top bid and it automatically gets incremented to that amount as people outbid you. So if I was to bid up to $6000 on it, I would just bid it and hope I get it. If somebody else top bid was 5K, I would win it with a little over that. Whatever the increment is. So to wrap it up, if you want it, bid what you could afford.

Will Kimble
Mar-01-2006, 8:29am
I have played this mandolin on several occasions, and I think it is very good. #I also think it might be the only Prodigal A5 with a varnish finish? #

Will Kimble

Don Grieser
Mar-01-2006, 10:00am
Don...placing bids on items early only does one thing......gives the seller a bigger profit.[QUOTE]

Exactly my intentions in this case. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

But I guess it didn't work.

Steven Stone
Mar-01-2006, 10:06am
[ I also think it might be the only Prodigal A5 with a varnish finish?]

I don't think so. The one I reviewed was varnish. Also all the specs I received from Crafters of Tennessee said varnish.

For $12K list you would pretty much assume varnish finish.

danb
Mar-01-2006, 12:05pm
Yes, I confirmed with Mike just now that it is varnish. I would have put that in the listing had I known.

It will go on a cafe classified in the next day or so.. if anyone is interested please PM me and I'll give you the specifics. This is a serious high-end mandolin.. though I haven't played it, I'm sure we could work out an approval time frame. I suspect everyone who was bidding is likely a cafe member!

Joe Parker
Mar-01-2006, 12:40pm
Tony Williamson has a Prodigal 5 for sale at his website,Mandolin Central. It's priced at $5500.FYI

Joe Parker

Will Kimble
Mar-01-2006, 1:22pm
I played a half dozen or so Prodigals in Tut & Mark's room at IBMA a couple years ago, and I am pretty sure Mike's was the only varnish one there. #Would be interesting to know how many have been made so far, and how many of those were varnish?

Will Kimble

danb
Mar-07-2006, 4:10am
Mike's price is $6000.. listed in the classifieds here now

Klaus Wutscher
Mar-07-2006, 6:11am
While this does not concern Mike Comptons Prodigal 5 which is varnished, I find it odd to announce a perfect copy of the A5 Loar and come up with a laquered instrument (if that should be the case).