PDA

View Full Version : Passernig

bluegrassjack2
Feb-27-2006, 8:13pm
Does anyone have any info on a Passernig mandolin. They are made in Austin, Texas. I had a chance to play one by a guy I met at a workshop recently and it had a great sound.
Thanks

Bill Snyder
Feb-27-2006, 10:29pm
I don't know anything about them, but here (http://www.smokymountainguitars.com/search_results.asp?txtsearchParamTxt=Passernig&txtsearchParamType=ALL&txtsearchParamCat=ALL&txtsearchParamMan=ALL&txtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtDateAddedStart=&txtDateAddedEnd=&txtPriceStart=&txtPriceEnd=&txtFromSearch=fromSearch&iLevel=1&btnSearch.x=47&btnSearch.y=10) is a link to one for sale at Smoky Mountain Guitar.

John M. Riley
Feb-28-2006, 9:26am
I played one at smokey mountain guitars. As far as I know, he is the only guy selling them. It was a really light and responsive mandolin. You could almost feel the air coming out of the f holes as I played it. I could not believe you could get an f style with adirondak and varnish for under 4000.

Mar-01-2006, 10:25am
bluegrassjack2,

That was mine you played. Smoky Mountain Guitars (http://www.smokymountainguitars.com/) are the only place to get them, ask for Dan or Jason -really nice folks that tell it like it is (in my experience). I have no financial interest, just passing along info on some good folks and an exceptional mando!

The previous link by Bill to #263 is mine http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

~x

Phil Jolly
May-01-2006, 11:28pm
Howdy, I'm thinking about picking up a Passernig from Smoky Mountain Guitars. However, I'm across the country and would appreciate any input from anyone out there who has or has played one. If anyone has any soundclips of theirs, that would be great. Thanks

John Rosett
May-02-2006, 6:13am
phil-
greg boyd had one last year. i don't know if he's a dealer, but ask him.

bluegrassjack2
May-02-2006, 6:45am
I talked to Mr. Passernig himself month or so ago. He told me he only sold thru Smoky Mountain guitars. He also said he was trying to hire some help so he could build more mandolins. The one I played had very deep woody sound, more than any mandolin i've ever played. SMG had one in the classifieds here not long ago.

KTB
May-09-2006, 8:37am
I have a Passernig mando with engleman top and pearwood back and sides. Talked to Stefan several times before I purchased, very nice guy and accommodating. The mando is very light and responsive, has very good volume The tone is not Gibsonesque, its much deeper. Also has a very nice chop. It plays very easy, very much like the Collings I've tried. This is the only Passernig that I've played, so I don't know how the Adirondack + maple ones sound...if they're any different. Nice workmanship, great volume and tone, with a varnish finish for that price..IMHO you can't beat it.

Alex Fields
May-14-2006, 6:16pm
They are incredibly good instruments for the price. I've not played a maple one, but the Pearwood mandolins are ridiculously dark and rich, which is exactly how I like it.

Alex Fields
May-14-2006, 6:43pm
They're great instruments period, my point is that they're much cheaper than most instruments of similar quality. I've never played a mandolin that was anything more than slightly better than my fiddle teacher's Passernig (I can count the number which I would consider as good on my fingers), which he payed $2200 for (it has no binding).

KTB
May-15-2006, 9:13am
I agree with Alex and not just because I own one. I've owned and played alot of mandos in the last 30 years and I like the sound of this as much as any of them.