PDA

View Full Version : The Gibson Brothers

mpeknox
Apr-02-2004, 6:48am
Saw the Gibson Brothers for the first time yesterday in Knoxville and these guys have a new fan here. Great harmonies and pickin'...especially their mandolin player, Marc MacGlashan. They are all really nice guys too. Marc even let me play one of his Smith Creek mandolins after they finished the set. Any other fans out there? If you haven't heard them, I recommend checking them out.

AlanN
Apr-02-2004, 6:59am
Yep, we've extolled Marc's virtues here before. He's definitely da man on da mandolin!

trickymonk
Apr-02-2004, 9:57am
I have to second Steve on this. The Gibson Brothers are definitely one of the best out there. I was pretty much blown away by Marc MacGlashan's mandolin playing. To top it all off, they all are some of the nicest, most approachable people you'd ever hope to meet. Check them out!

J Clark
Apr-02-2004, 10:24am
yes I agree,
I saw Marc play a little about a year ago. His wife is also a fine singer. I'm glad he's out giggin with the Gibson Bros. Those guys seem pretty nice.
JC

Wando
Apr-02-2004, 1:29pm
You might want to check out the "Bluegrass Invasion" CD (try Mid-Contintent). Marc sounds great on it. Does anyone know what kind of mando he uses? It looked like it has an "S" on the headstock but I couldn't make it out. Great sound and definitely in the right hands.

EZpicker
Apr-03-2004, 6:21am
I caught The Gibson Brother's show in Charlotte last night. I really enjoyed it. They write most of their own music. They do a lot of "story songs" (which I like) some are traditional bluegrass and some in a more folk style. Their harmonies and vocal ranges are great and they blend incredibly well.

They did some old standards last night which showcased their singing and their harmony. They did some "Bill" and even some "Jimmy Rodgers". Eric and Leigh are very talented on their instruments (Eric on both guitar and ban*o, Leigh on guitar).

Marc is an incredible picker, very fast and smooth. He did Pike's Breakdown last night as good as I have ever seen it done.

It's hard to imagine that these guys didn't get much recognition before their hot selling "Bona Fide" CD. Their new CD "Long Way Back home" is just as good, maybe even better.

mpeknox
Apr-03-2004, 6:51am
Does anyone know what kind of mando he uses? It looked like it has an "S" on the headstock but I couldn't make it out. Great sound and definitely in the right hands.
When I saw them the other day, Marc was playing a Gibson Fern onstage but he also had 2 Smith Creeks with him. All of them sounded great. I saw a performance by them on PBS the other night and he said he was playing yet another Smith Creek then. That man seems to have a bunch of mandolins. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Stringbender
Apr-03-2004, 1:03pm
Marc is a "hoss". His work on the new Gibson Bros CD is great stuff. If you've got the new CD there is a "secret" track right after "Satan's Jeweled Crown" that is a great little tearjerker story song.