PDA

View Full Version : Sweet Spot Trouble

Narayan Kersak
Feb-26-2006, 10:20pm
I'm a guitar player just turned mandolin player. I know guitars have "sweet spots" where you strum..ususally higher up about the sound hole that really gives it a sweet and full sound. I've been playing around on my mando trying to find it and I think I have. Problem is...every time I play with my pick in that position I keep getting clicking and tapping from the pick hitting the fret board...does any one have any recomendations how to maintian the picking position directly over the sweet spot...if I remember it is about between frets 15-20 on the fret board...without getting all that clicking tapping of striking the fret board? It's usually not a problem unless I'm playing in a group and trying to maintain my volume and speed with the rest of the players.

Jonathan Reinhardt
Feb-27-2006, 12:16am
If mandolin were all about the sweet spot, the world would be a sorrier place.
When you need it, get precise. Otherwise, open up and let it rip. Closer to the bridge isn't a sin.

rasa
Jonathan Reinhardt

250sc
Feb-27-2006, 7:50am
You found the 'sweet spot' ok and you also found why people scoop the fingerboard or, as in the Sam Bush model, cut off the fingerboard extention.

Narayan Kersak
Feb-27-2006, 7:53am
Ok...I see what you are both saying. I'll have fun and modify my mandolin later! Thanks

AlanN
Feb-27-2006, 7:56am
You found the 'sweet spot' ok and you also found why people scoop the fingerboard or, as in the Sam Bush model, cut off the fingerboard extention.
Or, in the case of a custom build, do it sans extension.