PDA

View Full Version : How about DR strings?

deepbrew
Apr-01-2004, 11:39pm
Randy Allen was nice enough to include a free set of DR strings with my tailpiece order. I was all set to put a set of J74s on my new MK FS Solid (first string change) but figure he must like the DRs--or? Anyone use them?

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Apr-02-2004, 7:38pm
I've used them on both mandolin and guitar and I like 'em. They seem to be very similar to J-74's, but they last quite a bit longer. Even when they do go dead, it's hard to tell.

wah
Apr-02-2004, 7:46pm
When Randy put a tailpiece on my '60 Gibson A5 2point he put on the DR strings. I didn't have any complaint about them, sounded fine, lasted awhile. Then I put on a set of TI's and discovered what it could sound like. But I've got nothing bad to say about the DR's.

fmspinc
Apr-02-2004, 8:05pm
I like DR's

Don Grieser
Apr-05-2004, 10:57am
The only bad thing I have to say about DR strings is it is the only string that I've had break while bringing it up to pitch while changing strings. Never had that problem with any other brand before or after.

mandorado
Apr-07-2004, 2:37pm
I liked the DR strings, and have a couple more sets I will use eventually. There is always a chance you can get a bad set of strings. They may not even break ... they can just sound like carp.
Using TI's will definately change the sound of you mandolin, no matter what kind of mando you put them on. I use them on my Flatiron A5 and they sound fantastic ... it's not a loud mandolin no matter what kind of string you put on it. However, when I tried TI's on my Pomeroy F5 ... it was too quiet for me ... I like my F5 to blast. The DR strings sounded great on my F5 and I will probably use them again.