PDA

View Full Version : Marty Stuart's "Watson's Blues"

David M.
Apr-01-2004, 11:35pm
Speaking of copying breaks, here's one entire thing that I'd like to mimic note for note, if I was only able. It's the hidden track on Doc Watson and Merle's "Home Sweet Home" (I think that's the name of the record--the one where it's Merle on banjo after just a couple of months learning it). Marty Stuart does some killer blues mando on this tune and Sam Bush backs him on fiddle. Man, some nice blues licks there! I'm having a heckuva time figuring it out, though.

When's Marty S. going to put out an instructional video? He's one of the most underrated ones out there. Every time I see him play that old thing he tears it up.

John Zimm
Apr-02-2004, 1:50pm
When's Marty S. going to put out an instructional video? He's one of the most underrated ones out there. Every time I see him play that old thing he tears it up.

I agree, Marty rocks. I loved watching him on the Gaither bluegrass special that was on PBS a while back. I wish I could play his solo from This Little Light of Mine.

-John.

Moose
Apr-02-2004, 2:06pm
Ditto to everything said re: Mssr. Stuart. He did it "His Way" .. but he has NEVER forgotten his "roots". - and it shows when he wants it to. (Incidently, he's married to the great Connie Smith.., and it don't get no more Country than her!!) - he's been quoted as sayin' he "...grew up in the back of Lester Flatt's tour bus"..).

John Ely
Apr-02-2004, 3:52pm
I saw Marty Stuart at the Houston Livestock Show this year, and he played his straight country stuff. #He plays that Tele nice, but I was hoping he would break out the mandolin and play some on that. No such luck, though.

Apr-02-2004, 4:35pm
Buckley... I love that solo..and love that video! I agree Marty is one of the best. He was like the Chris Thile of the 70's young kid and with killer licks but he can still keep it up today. Saw Marty at the Station Inn back in December with Roland.. Marty definately still has it and a nice guy to boot.