PDA

View Full Version : My attempt at the Golden Finish

mandoryan
Jan-26-2004, 12:55am
Here is my latest that I just got the finish done on. I learned a lot on this one as far thickness on the top and back and placement of tone bars. It sounds great. Much better than my previous 4 that I built. I'm pretty happy with it. It has a very tight grained Western Red Cedar top that has nice highs and lows, a curly maple back and sides, neck with cherry in the middle and cherry overlay on the back of the peghead. Ebony f-board and front peghead overlay. The fernish looking thing on it is a painting that I did on the peghead. Nitro lacquer finish with stains hand mixed from water based colors. Also, gold mop dots on it. Thats about it. Plays and sounds very good. Also, loosely based on the Loar A5 as I never took bprints of it, but made the body the same size as an old Gibby A with the extended neck.

John Ely
Jan-26-2004, 12:57am
Looks good. I'd love to see more pictures.

mandoryan
Jan-26-2004, 12:57am
Another...

mandoryan
Jan-26-2004, 12:59am
Also, faux tortise shell binding with black white on top and on peghead. On back, just tortise....

mandoryan
Jan-26-2004, 5:07pm
Thanks John!!

levin4now
Jan-27-2004, 10:25pm
Very nice job - wasn't this one we saw 'in the white' just awhile ago? It looks great. Love the dark binding on the lighter wood contrast. Sweet.

mandoryan
Jan-28-2004, 12:05pm
Yep, it's the one you saw in the white. I finally got it finished up. I played it for a while without the finish on it. I had a hard time putting lacquer on such a fine sounding instrument. I didn't really want the battle scars that it would entail though, thus it's current state. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mandoryan
Mar-17-2004, 1:31am
I took some more pics. I found my digi camera and got a little crazy with it. Hope you all enjoy....

mandoryan
Mar-17-2004, 1:56am
...nother....