PDA

View Full Version : Punk Rock Mandolin

GBG
Feb-23-2006, 9:40am
I have a young friend that I've been trying to help a little with some basic mandolin instruction. His main instrument is the Highland bagpipes that he plays at
parades, funerals, and also in a punk rock band.

He needs to hear some mandolin being played in a punk rock context if possible. Can anyone suggest any CD's he could buy. I want him to get a Sam Bush CD, but I don't know which one would best serve his purpose.

Bret Roberts
Feb-23-2006, 10:19am
The main reason I got started on the mandolin was a punk band called The Dropkick Murphys. www.dropkickmurphys.com Try the DVD “on the road” or the CD “Blackout”. Although, if he plays the bagpipes in a punk band I would say he knows all about them. The web site www.folkpunktabs.com may be good to take a look at.

Hope this helps.

pick up the world
Feb-23-2006, 2:03pm
I agree B-MAN, are you going in april to see them in belgique??
GBG you should might check out the music of Flogging Molly, they dont have bagpipes but mandolin!
Really good.
But there is no Punk mandolin style, the punk bands who play with mando play often irisch punk...
Nice to hear again somebody talking about Punk Mandolin

TeleMark
Feb-23-2006, 6:09pm
http://www.folkpunktabs.com/

Knock yourself silly. I think a thorough reading of The Pogues is in order. There may have been others, but they were likely the first to put punk and traditional Celtic instruments together. "If I Should Fall From Grace With God" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

The recent documentary of Shane McGowan is painful to watch. Years of alcohol and drugs, however punk, have left little.

danb
Feb-23-2006, 6:29pm
Ashley McIssac will be right up his alley. Cape Breton (strong Scottish influence) with warp speed and punk vibe

Bret Roberts
Feb-24-2006, 4:56am
Was thinking more about this and thought that a good CD would be “ Hot piece of grass “ from Hayseed Dixie. Although this is not punk they play a very hard type of bluegrass. They also do a lot of covers of both old and new songs ( i.e. Black Sabbath, Green day). Good stuff all around.

Hope this helps.

Flossie
Feb-24-2006, 7:29am
Both albums by Scottish band "The Lorelei" feature mandolin played in a much less traditional fashion (by me) - Live, we had many descriptions (including "punk-folk"), but we had a much more polished sound when recorded. #Don't know if the albums are available in the states - Headstrong, the first one is deleted here in the UK, but the second album "Progression" is still available. #Record company is Klub records (KRL). #

Regards

Flossie

Martin Jonas
Feb-24-2006, 9:41am
Richard Thompson is not usually called a punk rocker, but his song "Shoot Out The Lights" has a punk attitude in its aggressiveness, as well as being one of his least folky songs. If you get his Live In Providence (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0009IWGAA/qid=1140791512/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2/002-9315718-0983204?s=dvd&v=glance&n=130) DVD you'll get the song (and a few others) complete with a very trashy solo on slide mandolin played by Pete Zorn (using a Flatiron pancake).

Martin

mandocrucian
Feb-25-2006, 7:45pm
John Kruth's stuff could be thought of as punk related. There's also The Pogues (Terry Woods on OM), or what about The Waterboys?

But why do you need "mandolin" cause in the genre, it's basically going to do something similar to what is done on guitar? Play the thrash rhythm on a mando instead. Play "Pinhead", "I Want To Be Sedated" or some Pistols or Clash etc. whacking out your hostilities on 8-strings.

Niles H.