PDA

View Full Version : Upgrades to old mandos?

steve V. johnson
Apr-01-2004, 8:25pm
It really starts with this 1936 Kalamazoo flat mando I have. I love it, the sound, the feel... it's all original. But it would probably be better with a new bone nut to replace the black wooden one... And the tuners are a pain, never quite accurate nor easy to use.

Then I look at all the pre WWII A mandolins on eBay and I wonder about getting a nicer one and... some of those would probably come to seem similar to me. Esp. the tuners.

How unorthodox is it to do some small upgrades like those above to one of those old A's?

Now I DON'T mean to a Loar, a Snakehead or anything like that, but the $500+ run of the mill ones. I seldom see any there for sale with any changes (which is the other end of the question!).

thx,

stv

John Flynn
Apr-01-2004, 8:53pm
I think you may not see cheaper mandos for sale with modifications for a few reasons: 1) I think when people want to upgrade, they make a decision to improve or trade up. The ones that trade up don't tend to modify. The ones that modify are less likely to to trade up. 2) Some people may not feel upgrading a cheap mando is worth it. I think that is not always true. 3) Obvious, or poorly done upgrades can diminish resale value.

I think two really satisfying upgrades that would only improve reasale value are upgraded tuners and a full set-up. It's like getting a better mandolin for only a little more than $100. I have done all the above on inexpensive mandos and I would do it again.

sunburst
Apr-01-2004, 9:14pm
I don't see replacement of wear points like the nut as modification because the old one could be put back at any time. Likewise the tuners. If you can find better ones that fit the holes in the peghead, they can always be changed back to original as well. This applies regardless of the price of the instrument.

prairiewind
Apr-01-2004, 11:07pm
sliabhstv,

I'm about to have the nut replaced on a Gibson A-1. I'll also have a partial refret done (with vintage frets). I think you have keep the instrument playable unless it will be placed in a display case. Not an option with my instruments.

atetone
Apr-02-2004, 12:43am
Hey there Prairiewind, where are you going to get those vintage frets from?
Have you got a source? I have 2 A s' that need 5 or 6 frets each.
I haven't found anywhere to get them. If you know of a source I would love to hear about it.
Tough stuff to find.
As far as changing nuts and tuners goes I don't see why not.
I used to look down on it until it became apparent that my old A really needed it in order to be the best it could be.
Mine has a new pearl nut and I would love to put a set of modern tuners on it, except they don't fit, so I am having to replace gears in order to keep it playable.
I wish someone would make some retro tuners with a 15/16 spacing.