PDA

View Full Version : Eastman 515

tin ben dur
Feb-21-2006, 8:16pm
First of all Steve can not reply to this one. Ha Ha. Steve has a 515 with the scooped ext that I really want but I have a Rover Rm75 on backorder for 334.00. Should I cancel my backorder and get that 515 or what? I like a mandolin that has alittle weight to it instead of being real light weight and fragile. How are the Eastmans? Are they thin and fragile or do they feel like they got some substance. Can you tell I am trying to talk myself into buying one. I also saw Steve doesnt put the Voodoo on the 515's anymore but I can pay the 60.00. I guess my question is are the Eastmans really outstanding or what? Give me all your input please.

metalmandolin
Feb-21-2006, 8:32pm
You'll find lots of thread activity on this one. I endorse Eastmans because I like 'em, without apology. They are historically the first professional grade mandolin in their price range. I know Loar and Dude owners that like 'em...not better than their personal mandos, but good comments have been made.
Eastmans, because of the fact that they are hand-carved in their own factory, are exempt from the despicable and redundant "PacRim" tag, which typically does indicate an inferior instrument. And yes, the MandoVoodoo is well worth the $60.00. Does it need it....well, the Voodoo process would improve any great mandolin, as well as marginally improve a lesser instrument.Good luck in your choice...

JEStanek
Feb-21-2006, 8:36pm
He still gives a full set up on the 500 series (see his website). #The 515 is going to be a bit more than the Rover (almost double). #I love my Eastman and it doesn't eel like I need to baby it. I close with, I second what Roscoe said.

Jamie

chuck.naill
Feb-21-2006, 11:25pm
If you want a truily hand made/ hand carved instrument you can either purchase a custom instrument from one of the fine builders on this site or buy an Eastman. They use no machines and the finish and workmanship is outstanding.
I have #13 MD504 and couldn't be more satisfied. You will to.

Kevin Briggs
Feb-22-2006, 7:30am
I like the idea of Eastmans. I like Steve (based on his posts on the Cafe and some email correspondence) and I appreciate the good lingo concerning Eastmans.

I am partial to a radiused fingerboard, and have played two Eastmans that have not lived up to the billing, in my opinion. On ehad a horrible setup in a music shop in West Chester, PA, and the other had a good setup, but I wasn't crazy about the tone, and couldn't get past the flat fretboard.

Eastman does not produce a mandolin with a radiused fretboard, but I think they'd be well-served to offer a radiused option on their high end model. It seems to me they don't offer it because its an extra labor cost. But, if a customer is set on an Eastman and will pay a few hundred extra bucks, what's the diffrence, from a business standpoint?

Stephen Perry
Feb-22-2006, 8:11am
All but one of the Eastman mandolins I have here has a lightly radiused fretboard. The original production had flat fingerboards as in older mandolins. But in response to requests from players they changed the specification. I still get a few people looking for flat fretboards, but most are looking for radiused, so I'm glad Eastman is doing this.

VictorLouis
Feb-22-2006, 9:36am
Steve,

Do they still use the smaller 'vintage' style fretwire, as with Gibson?

travers chandler
Feb-22-2006, 9:48am
I can attest to how tough the Eastman's are. i have cut mine no slack and it is a HOSS...ask Steve he saw it in action at SPBGMA...though i have abused the top it keeps going and going...

csstanley
Feb-22-2006, 11:41am
I gotta 515 and love it.

Onesound
Feb-22-2006, 12:26pm
My 615 was a steal for the price. It's quite solid, has the look, tone and feel of a quality instrument all the way around. My next mando, if not a custom, will be an Eastman 2 point oval.

Greenmando
Feb-22-2006, 12:33pm
My next mando, if not a custom, will be an Eastman 2 point oval.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/804d2.jpg

Stephen Perry
Feb-22-2006, 3:06pm
Small fretwire. Seems to work fine.

bjc
Feb-22-2006, 3:09pm
I have two Eastmans and enjoy them both. I don't think you could go wrong with one. My 614 has a flat fret board and I rather enjoy it. The 515 has a slight radius, which doesn't bother me. Still I think I prefer flat.
But is so far as value goes...I don't see anything out there new that is competing at that price point.

Kevin Briggs
Feb-22-2006, 3:53pm
That's some beautiful wood on the back of that two-point. Wow. I thought it was a Breedlove at first.

harleymando
Feb-22-2006, 5:16pm
I got a 515 from mandovoo, and I love it! dont know if he actually voodooed it, if he did, great. if he didnt its still great! it surely is not a toy, i beat it into submission everyday, it can take it,

tin ben dur
Feb-22-2006, 11:33pm
I really do appreciate all the feed back from you guys. I am still thing about ordering it. I think I may.

Onesound
Feb-23-2006, 12:19pm
Greenmando - you just had to go and post that pic, didn't you! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Mattg
Feb-24-2006, 3:32pm
I was at a jam last night with 3 other mandolins that I thought sounded good. Still, my Eastman 615 garnered complements even though I'm a fat fingered goof at the fret board.

Greenmando
Feb-24-2006, 3:39pm
Greenmando - you just had to go and post that pic, didn't you! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif
The front is just as pretty, it is a 804 from Steve Perry

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b109/ferretkona/804d4.jpg