PDA

View Full Version : Looking for specifics on some A's

mfalkner
Feb-20-2006, 5:14pm
I'm in the info-gathering mode of a hunt for a nice A style for <$1000. I know that topics been dealt with before, but I have some specific questions and don't have access to a lot of mando's, so maybe you can help. Here's what I like and would prefer; which A's do you think I should try to lay hands on? Kind of thinking Ratliff RA-5, Rigel, Laura Ratcliff, A-9,Flatiron,???

Wide necks, medium to large frets, burst finish or varnish wood finish, f holes, grassy tone with decent chop but still good separation for melody work. US made a plus but not a requirement.

Frankly I prefer F styles but after selling my MK I'm looking for tone and playability. The MK looked better than it played for me anyway.

My skill level is maybe strong beginner; been playing guitar 4 years and mando about a year.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-20-2006, 5:26pm
I don't think you can buy any of those that you mention for under a grand (except possibly on the used market, if you get lucky).

I would strongly encourage you to look here:

http://#######.com/j3t76

This would be a very significant step up from an MK.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-20-2006, 5:28pm
Well, that's very interesting. The Board somehow "censored" my link, which was just a ####### link. Hm. See if this works:

http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin....l=glenn (http://www.mandolincafe.net/cgi-bin/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST;f=12;t=31233;hl=glenn)

J. Mark Lane
Feb-20-2006, 5:31pm
Wow, the Board censored my reference to the censored link....

Let's try this.... Just fyi, that was a t i n y u r l link.

Mark

Keith Erickson
Feb-20-2006, 5:38pm
Mike,

My MK A+ Plus sounds awesome for the money. In and around US$500 smackeroos it's worth it.

A buddy of mine was skeptical until he heard it.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wow.gif was the lóók of astonishment on his face when he found out that an MK was able to produce that sound.

Moose
Feb-20-2006, 5:39pm
J.Mark... ; I think ya' outta' call in the ACLU!! -- (Ops!..., just "josh'n... hee... hee..). Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

jefflester
Feb-20-2006, 6:03pm
There's really no need to use t i n y u r l or the like on the cafe, full URLs parse just fine. And you can always use the http button and easily enter the text to appear in your post as the link rather than some ugly URL.

Glenn mandolins (http://community-2.webtv.net/bubbyjones/Glennmandolins/)

SurebetVA
Feb-20-2006, 7:13pm
The Mandolin Store (http://www.themandolinstore.com/Scripts/prodList.asp?idCategory=51)has Breedlove Quartz for $995. I just happened to notice it, I have no connection to Breedlove or the Mandolin Store.

Richard Russell
Feb-20-2006, 7:18pm
Well, for just under a grand, you would probably do very well to get one of the following: Used Gibson A9, Flatiron Performer or Festival A, Weber Hyalite, Rigel A Natural ( check the classifieds now). There are other that qualify, but these will likely satisfy. The Rigel will be the least Bluegrassy of the bunch, from what I've heard, but I've not played one. The Hyalite is extremely versatile, works well in Celtic, Bluegrass, as well as other styles. My Flatiron is really a Bluegrass mando, but even it can pull off some other styles. With $1000 to spend on an A model, you can find some fantastic used mandolins! Good luck!!!

Katie
Feb-20-2006, 7:28pm
I can't compare because I haven't played the others, but my Rigel A Natural is great. I think I got mine pretty much just as they stopped making them. You will have to get those used. You won't find them for under $1000. Of course you could do what I did and go mandolin shopping when you're really depressed over a test and spend way more than you wanted because you played one and instead of making mandolin sounds it says "take me home I'm yours!"
You could do that.

chuck.naill
Feb-20-2006, 8:46pm
Eastman MD 605 is $950. I have the less expensive MD 504 and I am well pleased with the sound, neck, playability and workmanship. The MD 605 is a step up in binding and figurative wood.

Chuck

Richard Russell
Feb-20-2006, 8:52pm
Just did a quick search in the Classifieds and there are two Rigel A Naturals, one for $950 and one for $875. Also found an A9 for $950. Several Breedloves available for under a grand as well. This is a great time to be in the market for a quality, used A mandolin!

Katie, I'm a big fan of the A Natural. I wish Rigel still made them. I've never played one, but I think they look fantastic and I love the matte finish! They must sound heavenly!!!

FlawLaw
Feb-20-2006, 9:14pm
I started out wanting an F style too, but then started playing an A style and have never looked back. I could afford a F style, but just love the simplicty of the tear shape.

I am also fond of the Rigel A Naturals. #Though no A Naturals are depicted, I would suggest taking a listen to the Rigel sound clips on their web site and also the video clips, really enjoyable even if that is not what you are looking for...

mfalkner
Feb-21-2006, 9:28am
J. Mark,

I've heard a lot of good things about the Glenn's. And I should have clarified that a good used mando is fine. There are some deals in the classifieds right now, and I reckon I'm trying to weigh out the pros/cons between some of the A's now available. There's a Glenn, a Ratliff, and a Rigel that have my attention. Based on that, I was trying to find out which of those might best suit my hands and playing style.

Thanks to all for the responses and good info; keep 'em coming.

arbarnhart
Feb-21-2006, 10:00am
J.Mark... ; I think ya' outta' call in the ACLU!! -- (Ops!..., just "josh'n... hee... hee..). Moose. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
The American Criminal Liberties Union?

My guess is that popular redirection services are weeded out because they canbe used to hide links to other things tat are being weeded out.

otterly2k
Feb-21-2006, 10:16am
From how you described what you like in a neck, I'd strongly suggest taking a look at Breedloves. I have an OO for sale, but if you want grassy chop/f-holes and a sunburst, then mine is not what you're looking for. Look for a 'burst OF. Still... they have the wider neck and larger frets... Rigel A-natural is also a wonderful instrument. Both of these have radiused fretboards. If you prefer flat, then you might want to lean towards the Gibson or Weber-- all good (I just prefer radius, so haven't leaned that way myself). I haven't had a chance to try a Glenn or Ratliff.

Happy shopping!

FlawLaw
Feb-21-2006, 10:45am
I owned a Ratliff. It had many wonderful characteristics. For instance, it had a one piece back. Nonetheless, I needed to replace the nut because the original seemed cheap and had cracked into two pieces. The finish on it was first rate and the wood was beautiful. In fact, I think that Mr. Ratliff has one of the most beautiful sunbursts around. My mandolin was an oval hole and had a nice tubby sound with a lot of nice over-tones, perfect for blues and old time. The reason I got rid of it was that it just didn't have the volume I was looking for nor did it have the "it" factor that I was looking for, but I am sure that the person who purchased it from me for under 1K was happy with it, as over-all it was a very nice mandolin, just not for me. The mandolin I have now is more for me as far as volume and tone and is a little easier to play. The Ratliff had a nice thin little neck though and was comfortable.

J. Mark Lane
Feb-21-2006, 10:59am
OK, I think I get it on the url issue.

The mandolins --

The ones you are considering are very different, no? You said you wanted "grassy" tone and f-holes. In my experience (having owned two and played maybe two dozen), you won't get that tone from a Breedlove. You just won't. The Rigels are far more interesting than any Breedlove I ever played, and have great tone. Still, it's not really that "bluegrassy" tone. I would think a good player (I am not one) could make a Rigel sound great in a bluegrass context...Still, these are not classic bluegrass mandos.

The Rigels and Breedloves both have wide, radiused boards and fairly large wires (IIRC). I dislike that feel, but others obviously like it. The other instruments you mention are more traditional necks and boards, I think (certainly the Gibson...I think the Glenn can be done either way).

I've not played a Flatiron or a Weber that I thought had that grassy tone. I know people will jump on me for that, and I'm sure there are great ones out there (I guess). I've only played maybe 20 or so Webers, and only a half-dozen Flatirons.

I've never played one of Laura Ratcliff's instruments. I would love to try one, and also one from her husband (I love those paintings!). These seem like a good bet. Also never played one of Audie Ratliff's instruments.

Of the ones on your list, I would think the A9 is the clear winner. Every one I have played was a great mandolin, one I would think almost any player could happily own for life. The Glenn would be a good bit less money, and darn near as good.

Jut my 2 cents, worth what you paid for it....

Bill Van Liere
Feb-21-2006, 2:18pm
Being a long time owner I am probabaly biased. An 1984-87 Flatiron A5-Jr (tonebars) usually has pretty good tone/volume and a great price. Usually around $1000. If you decide to sell it at a later date that should be no problem. Good chop and about as 'Grassy' of a tone as can be had for $1000.00