PDA

View Full Version : Western New York

sandcastlefaith
Apr-01-2004, 3:03pm
I have been told of bluegrass festivals that I was not before aware of. Is there anyone in the Western New York/Pennsylvania area who knows about the happenings in the bluegrass world of this area, and could fill me in on some upcoming bluegrass festivals, etc. Thanks in advance!

aimee
Apr-01-2004, 3:38pm
Mayville bgf on beautiful Chautauqua lake is the one closest to us. There's a website - mayvillebluegrassfestival.com with all the details. It's an alcohol free family experience during the day, or one can take part in the pub-crawl activities in the evening.

Where abouts are you? Know of any jamming opportunities in the area? There's Earle's...

sandcastlefaith
Apr-01-2004, 8:16pm
Hey, I'm in Westfield, NY, which is about 5 minutes from Mayville. I always knew about that festival dealy there, but I never knew it was the real deal. I mean, here in the little towns around me, there's nothing anything real going on. Thanks!

WHITEBIRD
Apr-03-2004, 8:38pm
This may be a bit of a hike for you, but Old Forge New York has on August 5,6, and 7. The 15th annual Fox Family Bluegrass Festival. The agenda includes, JD Crowe, Larry Cordle and Lonesome Standard Time, Honi Deaton and Dream, The Cherryholmes Family Band (my personal favorite), Ryan Holladay, Shenandoah Blue, The Delaney Brothers, Blue Moon, The Atkinson Family, and the Fox Family. It's a pretty neat gathering, there are workshops, camping, chairlift rides, vendors, AND a chicken BBQ! We had a great time last year.
More info here :

www.foxfamilybluegrass.com

Plus you have Enchanted Gardens theme park and Water Safari nearby and other cool activities.

johnnymando
Apr-04-2004, 8:54am
Check out www.pickininthepasture.com!
I've been for every year(I think 7)and have had some of the best jamming around.Hosted by Andy & Susan Alexander on thier farm.They are true bluegrass folks who know how to do it right.Great acts(they've had Ralph Stanley,Lonesomeriver Band,The Osbournes,Cherry Holmes Family to name a few).This year have The Gibson bros and Lonesomeriverband.
Its a scenic area near Seneca lake and is only about an hour drive for me.

jim bevins
Apr-04-2004, 3:43pm
I don't mean to throw everyone to the other side of the state,but we will be having the 2nd Annual Chilson Bluegrass Fest. on Aug.6,7,8. Which is located in Ticonderoga. No big name Bands,but some good ones.Of course the 2003 National Dobro Champ will be there(Dave Bevins)if anyone likes to hear them slidin' guitar things!If anyone wants info on this Fest.,let me know! jndbev@bluemoo.net