PDA

View Full Version : Cool Old-Time Streaming Audio Source

Paul Kotapish
Apr-01-2004, 2:18pm
There's a very cool website called Sugar in the Gourd that features continuous streaming old-time music. Full-length tracks from dozens of recordings of all vintages from the earliest days (Uncle Dave Macon, Riley Puckett, et al) to the present (Molly Tennenbaum) with lots of material from in between (Holy Modal Rounders). Great stuff from authentic rural sources and modern urban revivalists.

Getting the streaming audio to work is kind of tricky, but I was able to get it going using both RealPlayer and QuickTime. Each track is listed with the artist and album title. This is a great resource for listening to a whole bunch of relatively hard-to-find stuff.

Just heard some real nice old-time mandolin tunes from a sweet album album called Old Time Mandolin Music by my old pal Clyde Curley.

Check it out.

http://www.sugarinthegourd.com/

harwilli55
Apr-01-2004, 4:31pm
Hey Thanks for posting that Paul, I am listening now and kicking my feet to Briarpicker Brown......what a find!!!!

Harlan

mandorado
Apr-04-2004, 11:20pm
Paul ... thanks for the link ... this is a great resource!
Works well with iTunes.
Think I'll set up Audio Hijack Pro to record a few gigs of this.

MrSrubas
Apr-06-2004, 8:22pm
I have been searching high and low for streaming old time.
This is awesome.

sugarinthegourd
Apr-06-2004, 10:35pm
Well, shucks folks...

Thanks for all the kind words!!

Glad you're enjoying the station.

Best wishes,

John (sugarinthegourd.com proprietor)

JeffS
Apr-07-2004, 5:02pm
I got it working here with WinAmp. Very nice.

Russ Jordan
Apr-07-2004, 10:38pm
Paul,
Its great to see your name in the cafe. I heard some of your wonderful mandolin work on the Hillbillies From Mars and Open House cd's.

Any recent recordings?