PDA

View Full Version : Thile on Octave

bjc
Apr-01-2004, 1:40pm
Greetings,

As a new octave mando owner, I am really please to tell everyone that Chris Thile of Nickel Creek played an octave on about a third of their set in Norfolk, Va last night...They played about 9 new tunes (a lot of them with Chris on Octave)...just something to look forward to...thought I'd pass along the good news!

mandolman
Apr-02-2004, 4:58am
Do you know what is the builder of his OM ?

bjc
Apr-02-2004, 8:07am
Sadly, I could not get that close...but it was an A style sunburst...can't wait for the new album...

mandolman
Apr-02-2004, 9:41am
Did it play with for melody or for Chords ?
OM in F or oval Sound Hole ?

mandolman
Apr-05-2004, 11:07am
I've got a pictures !!!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif http://www.nickelcreek.com/images/fall_2003/plunkett4.jpg

Steve L
Apr-05-2004, 12:34pm
Looks like a Flatiron...never seen a sunburst OM from them though.

Mandobar
Apr-09-2004, 9:07am
i saw one of these not too long ago on the website of a store that sells mostly electric guitars. they were selling it for the ridicules amount of $600.

mandolman, what song were they playing?

ira
Apr-09-2004, 9:31am
never played an octave, and was never clear on how big they were. wow- that must be a cannon!@!

Steve L
Apr-11-2004, 3:38am
Ran across a website that listed some of Thile's instruments and it is indeed a Flatiron. I have a one with a natural finish and Ira, it's not all that loud.

delsbrother
Apr-12-2004, 2:52am
I bet it's louder now. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Steve L
Apr-12-2004, 11:29am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

bjc
Apr-12-2004, 2:48pm
My Octave (Johnson 550) is quiet as well...I can not really use it for the trio I play inbecause the acoustic guitar player is so loud...But in my duo it is wonderful...But trust me Thile's was LOUD. He rode high in the mix all night long.
And just curious: What show did the picture come from?

GBG
Apr-12-2004, 3:15pm
Maybe it was loud because of that red string coming out of the back end of his OM.

mandolman
Apr-13-2004, 2:58am
The picture come from the official nickel creek website, but just one picture, no informations !
And i don't know what were the tunes played

Steve L
Apr-13-2004, 6:46am
Well, mine's plenty loud when I use the pick-up too, but if it's not amplified it's nothing you would even remotely describe as a "cannon". It's a little surprising only because the little flat-top mandolins by the same company were amazingly loud.

bjc
Apr-13-2004, 7:18am
What do you use to amp your octave? I've tired several things for my mando and nothing sounds as good as the system Thile uses...Of course he has the means to get the best stuff available, but still his sound is much more acoustic and balanced than the one I get...

Steve L
Apr-13-2004, 11:46am
I've got a MacIntyre small body acoustic guitar pickup in the instrument and use a Fishman pre amp. I go throuogh whatever the pa system is...I don't use an amp.

PCypert
Apr-13-2004, 2:53pm
What was that electric guitar oriented website?
Paul

otterly2k
Apr-20-2004, 2:09pm
Hey, I saw Nickel Creek's show here in Philadelphia... it was awesome, and Thile was definitely the shining star of the evening, IMHO, although everyone was good and the ensemble overall was wonderful. The OM was really nice in the mix... used for chords and melody/countermelody.

Also, for those who are acoustic purists, you might be interested to know that on their encore, they basically unplugged and stepped out infront of the mics and did 3-4 songs completely unplugged. I'm sure that the folks in the front of the audience had a real treat...I wish I could have heard it. It was awesome to witness how silent and rapt of attention a large hall could get... still with the white noise of ventilation and the way that bodies absorb sound, it just was not audible past about the first 1/3 of the house...

KE