PDA

View Full Version : Compton/Long/Buckhannon/Gilchrist House Concert

John Flynn
Feb-18-2006, 11:07am
Well, I want to share a report about the best evening of music I have seen or heard. I attended a house concert last night with Mike Compton and David Long headlining, the Buckhannon Brothers opening, and special guest Steven Gilchrist in a performing, not building, role.

The house concert was held in the loft apartment of a local musician friend of mine. The setting was like a big living room. My wife and I sat on a “front row seat” couch about 20 feet from the performers for the whole concert. The Buckhannon Brothers started with about a 45-minute set. As many of you know, Curtis B. is perhaps the best old-time, ragtime, obscure ethnic music mandolin player anywhere. Also, the Brothers B have a whacky sense of humor just slightly less corny than Homer and Jethro. It was a great set.

Then Compton and Long took over. Mike spent a lot of time singing and playing an old Regal guitar and a Kimble mandola that Dennis Buckhannon dubbed “Nelson Mandola.” (You had to be there!) He still got plenty of playing time on his Gil F5 and F4, though. David Long was playing a Gil F5 and he played it hot! They did a lot of audience participation stuff that you can really only do well in a house concert. They did some great sing-alongs, with Long giving out pre-release CDs to the people who sang the loudest. (I was not a candidate, unfortunately, as no one would want me to sing loudly!)

Some surprises: At one point, Compton and Long invited Steven Gilchrist to join them. He borrowed Compton’s Gil F4 and they became a trio. They did two old spritiual hymns, Monroe bluegrass-style. It was electric. Gil can sing! Really well. The trio did three part harmonies like they had been playing together all their lives. They really had a chemistry and a stage presence that was beyond Compton and Long by themselves. Gil can flat play a mandolin, too. His lead breaks were unique and pro-quality. I have to say, I will never be able to buy one of his mandos, but if he puts out a CD, I will buy it. Someone suggested they put out a CD as a trio and they responded that they might consider it. I would definitely buy that one!

Finally, the Buckhannon Brothers joined them for an ensemble/jam, which was great. Total, it was over three hours of mostly music and the whole time, it was like watching TV in someone’s living room. If you get the chance to:
A. See any of these performers, anywhere
B. Attend a house concert with any performer you like
C. Host your own house concert
D. All of the above.

Do it!!! There were other Cafe' members at this event also and I invite them to chime in. Am I right here?

Don Christy
Feb-18-2006, 11:21am
I was there and it was one of my favorite muscial experiences. I was not very familiar with David Long, but I found out quick that he can flat tear it up. He and Mike Compton really have a chemistry together. I was a little surprised (but not disappointed) how much Mike played the guitar.

I too was impressed with Steven Gilchrist when he joined them. Great singing and pickin'.

After the show, both stayed around for a while and a jam formed. A couple of fiddles, a couple of banjos, a bass, and a couple of mandos, with both Long and Compton joining in. I didn't have my mando or the nerve to ask to play one of the many Gils.

It was a great night.
Don

odeboy
Feb-18-2006, 11:41am
I just attended their mini-concert at Mountain Music Shoppe in Shawnee, KS. Not only was the level of musicianship world class, but the singing and interaction with the audience was memorable. Gil was sitting behind me with our web-site hero Scott T but unfortunately, didn't perform.

These intimate concerts ( our was sold out at 50 people ) are a treasure and an opportumity to see music legends close up in an informal setting. 'Truely an unforgettable experience

gschmidt
Feb-18-2006, 11:14pm
Your first sentence is almost exactly what I was thinking. I was there also. It was simply one of the enjoyable musical experiences of my life. It was truly a magical night.

It was funny how Steven didn't feel like he belonged up there and then he killed on the mando and his singing was great. VERY powerful voice. I also liked how his eyes lit up when he grabbed his own F4.

My favorite moment of the night was when I met Mike and shook his hand. Moments later, I noticed my wrist was HURTING. That ol' boy's got quite the grip! :-)

Amazing night. DO NOT EVER pass up a chance to see these guys.

lbracale
Feb-19-2006, 1:01pm
I love the idea of hosting a house concert. I never thought people would actually show for something like that. Wish I were there. How did you hear about this get together? I have wanted to get musicians together here in Cleveland to have learning workshop and play time/jam.

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Flynn
Feb-19-2006, 1:21pm
I heard about it first from Curtis Buckhannon, who is my mando-mentor. But soon after I heard about it again through a mass emailing from from the Folk School of St. Louis. Andy Gribble, who hosted the event, is involved with them, but they were just letting him use thier mailing list. If you want more info, see my other thread that announced this event and call Andy Gribble and ask for details on how he did it.

BTW, this house concert and multiple "house" workshops and jams in my area over the last couple of years have all been shoestring, grass roots efforts, organized by one or two people, not big events sponsored by stores, institutions or associations. The Folk School of St. Louis itself started out as a part-time, entrepenuerial effort of one person, with very little investment. Within three years, it has blossomed into a going concern with about 70-80 students per term learning acoustic music from great local instructors, as well as several workshops a year with national top talent. I guess my point is that in the internet age, you really can create any kind of a music event or situation you want to, pretty much on your own, if you are willing to put in the time and talent.

SternART
Feb-19-2006, 1:50pm
Wish I could have been at this gig, sounds like a very special night of music.
Tom Rozum's old Gibson dola has been called "Nelson Mandola" for many years.
Always gets a laugh from the audience when he introduces it.

Darren
Feb-19-2006, 4:19pm
Any chance someone recorded this?

P Josey
Feb-19-2006, 6:19pm
There's some video from this show at this site. I surf this site ,from the Bluegrass section of this board,often and there is always great stuff.

www.johnhartford.org

Steve Cantrell
Feb-19-2006, 7:01pm
I checked the video out. Awesome. Anyone know this webmaster? I'd love to get a copy of the video to lift the audio.In that same vein, anyone know where there might be some more live Compton/Long floating around other than the two shows on BB?

P Josey
Feb-19-2006, 9:31pm
I don't want to hijack this thread but will say if you open the site I listed above, go to the "Index" on the left a click "videos", a whole list of excellent videos comes up.

Jeff Hoelter
Feb-19-2006, 11:52pm
Can someone point me to the Compton/Long videos on that site? I can't seem to find em... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Thanks!
Jeff

sgarrity
Feb-19-2006, 11:55pm
It took me a while to fine 'em. They're on the front page, just scroll down a little. Awesome videos and great picture quality. I'd kill to have the whole thing. I just can't get enough of those guys!

Jeff Hoelter
Feb-20-2006, 12:41am
Sorry but I still can't find em.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Can you tell me exactly where, or give me a link directly there? Thanks!

sgarrity
Feb-20-2006, 12:50am
Well they've been moved. I just watched them and now I can't find the durn things.

John Flynn
Feb-20-2006, 4:09am
They're baaack! The videos are on the site now and highlighted in orange in the "Living Room" section of the video page. I am sure they weren't therethe first time I looked, either.

Brad Weiss
Feb-20-2006, 8:01am
Wow!!! This is the coolest site ever (after Scott's of course...) That is completely inspirational. #And whoever was shooting the footage does a lovely job- some great close-ups of David's solo, and an interesting look at that F4. Man, I am gonna waste a whole lotta time sorting through those videos.... #Thanks John! What a SPECTACULAR event - anybody in either the NC Triangle, or Tidewater VA (I live in one, work in the other) care to pull together a house party??

JimRichter
Feb-20-2006, 8:45am
The owner/webmaster of the site is John Hoetze, who has been a John Hartford fanatic for years. And by extrapolation, he has started to include all manner of Hartford off-shoots into his website. He is also a big fan of the Chris Sharp/David Long band, of which he has footage.

I also have footage of Sharp and Long at my website. I still haven't had time to put up the whole 90 minutes, but most of set two (which includes both the Royal Box Waltz and Squirrel Hunters) is at my site: Richter Digital Arts (http://www.richterdigitalarts.net). Just look for a link on the front page to the Sharp Long video page.

Jim

gschmidt
Feb-20-2006, 9:41am
Thanks for the link to the video clips! "Gonna Save the King" gave me goose bumps... I can't stop thinking about this show and now I have video to back up my memory!

red7flag
Feb-20-2006, 11:25am
Another thanks for that link to the John Hartford site. What a great place to graze. The video of the Compton Long concert was very similar to a show I saw at Bongo Java (a coffee shop in Nashville) during IBMA week. The video captures the great rapport they have with the audience. Love when they play off each other. My first time seeing Steve Gilchrist. Love his sense of humor. Oh yes, his playing and singing too.
Tony

gschmidt
Mar-03-2006, 5:16pm
Just a heads up.... More video of this show is up on JohnHartford.org.

"Sittin' on Top of the World" has been added.

ENJOY!

sgarrity
Mar-03-2006, 5:33pm
That is the best video yet I think. And man does that Gil F4 sound good!