PDA

View Full Version : Mic Suggestions

Bobby Brite
Apr-01-2004, 11:09am
My band is about to go to a one mic system. We are a larger band and are thinking about possibly trying two mics. Just wondering what are the best mics for this purpose and where I can find them. Thanks, Bobby

earthsave
Apr-01-2004, 12:50pm
AT 4033... I think we bought ours on Musicians Friend for like $299.95. It looks like the 4040 is the replacement.

There is a 4033/CL for $399.95

Bobby Brite
Apr-01-2004, 2:17pm
Thanks, are there any problems with feedback?

TonyP.
Apr-02-2004, 4:59pm
not as long as you are carefull about setup(where you put the 4033 on stage) and either go without monitors or go to an in ear setup for monitors. we've been using a modified setup for 3yrs, 4033 for vocals and bass and 2 Oktava 012 for instruments.

fiddler59
Apr-03-2004, 11:06pm
The AT 3035 is killer too!!
I know it is a lesser mike than the 4033 but we have both and actually prefer the 3035 !

earthsave
Apr-04-2004, 10:24am
Keep the main speakers out in front of the mic and aimed out to not bounce back into the mic pattern.

peterbc
Apr-04-2004, 2:43pm
What about problems with picking up the audience? We're looking at getting a mic too (probably the AT4033 or 4040) but will most likely use it for bar gigs and don't want the audience to get picked up, is it a problem at all?

uncle ken
Apr-04-2004, 7:05pm
My favorite mandolin microphone of all time is the Sennheiser 441, that's the one Stevie Nicks always sings into. For some reason this microphone makes mandos sound good, other bluegrass instruments also. Has anyone else used it?

TonyP.
Apr-04-2004, 9:08pm
yup, didn't like it. to each his own right? For me the Oktava 012 sounds better, is easier to work and now for the price of one Sennheiser you could get 4 or 5 Oktava's. The last time we were laying down tracks I tried all the mics we had and the 4033 sounded the best to everybody's ears, a real surprise.

uncle ken
Apr-04-2004, 11:16pm
Actually the very best sounding one I ever used was a Soundeluxe U95 but who wants to spend $2000 on a microphone. For live though I always liked the Sennheiser.

John S
Apr-05-2004, 7:49am
What about problems with picking up the audience? #We're looking at getting a mic too (probably the AT4033 or 4040) but will most likely use it for bar gigs and don't want the audience to get picked up, is it a problem at all?
Those mics will pick up some audience noise as well. I remember using a 4033 in a bar-type gig. I recorded off the board and when I listened back later, the audience noise was appreciable and even the sound of the blender at the bar was intrusive.

I guess it depends on the particular bar, but IMO the 1-mic approach in a noisy bar is a tough thing to do. You've got a lot of ambient noise to begin with, meaning you have to crank up your volume and pick as loud as you can. You probably won't have a lot of freedom on where you can put your speakers, so you can run into feedback issues there. Plus, you'll probably be playing in a confined area with flat walls or a glass window, which is also bad for feedback.

I don't mean to be a gloomy gus about it, but I guess from my experience I'd be hesitant to go into a noisy bar with a 1 mic setup. But if you do, I'd recommend investing in a good graphic EQ with feedback detection, or an automatic feedback eliminator. If you're playing on a hardwood or tile floor, buy an appropriate sized rug to bring along with you on gigs. It not only makes it easier on your feet, but it might help a bit with feedback (stopping reflection off the floor).

onlyagibsonisgoodenuff
Apr-05-2004, 12:50pm
I actually have a 4033cl AND a 4040 which I'd make you a good deal on. We used to do the one-mike thing, but the audience would get louder as the night wore on, and we couldn't get enough volume to counter that, so it's back to individual mikes.

TonyP.
Apr-05-2004, 2:15pm
I agree with what John S. says. We don't do bar gigs for many reasons but the main one is noise. If that is your staple gig don't go to large dia mics, you won't be happy. If you are like us, play mostly outside, weddings and and a coffee house(which are tough because of the espresso machine noise)every now and then you'll like how less of a hassle it is. The main thing is the sound for me and a good condenser mic beats a dynamic any day for sound. Also with the one or two mic setup it's closer to playing without a PA which I've always hated.