Jim Hilburn
Feb-16-2006, 4:25pm
Here's a detail shot.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-16-2006, 4:26pm
And the headstock.

mandoryan
Feb-16-2006, 4:29pm
Very, very nice as usual Jim. I like the inlay too.

Kevin K
Feb-16-2006, 4:29pm
Wow, great job. It looks great. What are some details? Woods,etc.

kyblue
Feb-16-2006, 4:31pm
Beautiful inlay.

Paula

Skip Kelley
Feb-16-2006, 4:55pm
Jim, First class as always! Love that sunburst; It's perfect!

ShaneJ
Feb-16-2006, 5:19pm
Jim, that's gorgeous! I REALLY like the inlay. What kind of wire is it?

Stanley Cox
Feb-16-2006, 5:57pm
GREAT WORK
Stanley http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

sgarrity
Feb-16-2006, 5:58pm
Looks pretty close to perfection to me.

grandmainger
Feb-16-2006, 6:06pm
Lovely Mandolin! Great colour and inlay.

My girl is sitting next to me peeking, and wants to know where you got that quilt http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif
I quote: "Nice Quilt! Who is this Jim? Does he have a good wife?"

LOL!
Germain

Mark Walker
Feb-16-2006, 6:22pm
Very very nice. Elegant beauty and simplicity! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

danb
Feb-16-2006, 6:29pm
Beautiful Jim!

Lane Pryce
Feb-16-2006, 6:35pm
Just amazing. Keep em coming!!! Lp

Stephanie Reiser
Feb-17-2006, 5:13am
Jim, your work is amazing. I am very impressed with the level of craftsmanship that you possess.
I think the wire is Sterling, and it is very attractive.

ab4usa
Feb-17-2006, 9:14am
Jim,

That headstock is just perfection

Jim Hilburn
Feb-17-2006, 10:09am
Thanks to all.
The body woods are red spruce and red maple from Old Standard. I got the neck wood on E-bay about 5 years ago from Montreal and it looked very old when I got it.
The wire is from a spool of bead wire I got at Hobby Lobby for $2.10. Still have another 10 yards to go.
The finish is KTM-9 waterbased which I'm convinced gives varnish properties while being as durable as lacquer.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-17-2006, 10:12am
I also meant to say that the sunburst isn't nearly that red in person, but that can be said of most digital photo's of mandolins. The camera just doesn't percieve the delicate color transition as well as the human eye.

mandopete
Feb-17-2006, 10:27am
Jim -#you know how to make 'em right!

dasspunk
Feb-17-2006, 10:57am
Nice Jim... I hope to get my grubby digits on one of your mandos sometime...

Jim Hilburn
Feb-17-2006, 11:04am
Dasspunk, the bad part is that could have happened in Bakersfield. I didn't do as well as I hoped at meeting all the Cafe crowd.
Next year one of the workshops needs to be a Cafe social.

Jason Kessler
Feb-17-2006, 11:25am
Yup. Pretty much perfect.

bgmando
Feb-17-2006, 1:20pm
Really pretty -- loved the headstock shape and its inlay.

SternART
Feb-17-2006, 1:34pm
HEY Jim......I got to meet you in Bakersfield.......and a pleasure it was!
BTW nice mando!

Brier
Feb-18-2006, 12:22pm
Jim,
Is the the KMT-9 finish? Wow.
Peter.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-18-2006, 12:53pm
That's KTM.

tortispik
Feb-19-2006, 7:19pm
Beautiful Jim,as usual.How do you get such a nice sharp line on your scroll?Thanks Rob

Chris Baird
Feb-19-2006, 9:25pm
Wonderful Job! You done so well with your As that folks are seeing scrolls on them. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

Jim Hilburn
Feb-19-2006, 11:19pm
To answer the scroll question, I've got into the habit of sharpening the curved blade from one of my fingerplanes as a scraper, you know, turning a hook on the end. I finally broke down and got a replacement blade so I didn't have to re-sharpen it when I wanted to use the plane.
That blade makes a perfect scroll scraper. The curved end is shaped just like the valley you want.

tortispik
Feb-20-2006, 10:25am
Jim,thanks for the info on the scroll work.I have a picture of the most recent F you posted so I can see how its done.Can't help but see them when they are that perfect.
Rob

Dan Adams
Feb-20-2006, 7:35pm
I had the pleasure of playing #38 at the Mid-Winter Festival. #Like all of Jim's instruments, I'm apprehensive because it's like playing a work of art. #Too bad it was so loud in the room, because it was hard to hear and I wanted a quiet room to truly appreciate the sound of the mandolin. #The first thing about a Hilburn is the instant gratification of holding the mandolin and thinking that the mandolin was made for you and only you. #The workmanship is unbelievable, and I was afraid I would not do the instrument justice. #Jim by the way is always very friendly, open, and willing to let his instruments be played by anybody that is interested. For those of you that long to play a Hilburn, it's worth the experience. Thanks Jim! #Dan

Strange1
Feb-21-2006, 12:10am
Ever done a LH one, Jim?

Jack

addcourt
Feb-23-2006, 12:03pm
#38 has now been with me for about 2 days. I got on Jim's list primarily because of the artistic beauty of his work.#I decided on an A style with good quality wood and nice inlays with hopes that the performance would match the asthethics(photos shown in this thread). #Little has been written about the performance of his mandolins and with only 38 currently in circulation, that's understandable. #I've had an opportunity to spend 6 or 7 hours play time and can tell you that I'm not disappointed. #While I'm more of a clawhammer player than a mandolin player, I've had the advantage of owning several mid-range($5K-$8K)mandolins over the past few years and feel competent to make the comparisons. #Jim's fit/finish is the best I've seen which I really expected based upon the photos shown on this website. #The sound of any instrument is subjective and I don't wish to go overboard; but, it really is quite extraordinary(no weaknesses--volume, tone, chop, etc.). I'm back on Jim's list to be in line for an F model. His wait is currently 3 years. If you have an opportunity to try a Hilburn, I think you'll understand my enthusiasm(they really are as good as they look).

Lane Pryce
Feb-23-2006, 12:22pm
You are a fortunate man. That is a very impressive mandolin. If it sounds as good as it looks well then its a keeper. Lp