PDA

View Full Version : grey eagle #6

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:37pm
I attempted this a while back. but here goes.

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:40pm
ok I think I got it.

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:42pm
full back

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:43pm
side, sort of

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:45pm
I wish I edited my toes out of that last shot.

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:47pm

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 9:52pm
Last one for now. Though Id like to say that every one of these Grey Eagle mandolins have sound to die for. I have no financial intrest though these mandolins are very reasonably priced. If you would like to contact skip PM me.

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 10:49pm
That was my boy, age four, practicing the suzuki method. I found some pics of number 9 or 10 Im not sure.

mandoh
Feb-15-2006, 10:51pm
another

Lane Pryce
Feb-16-2006, 8:43am
That is a beautiful mandolin. If the sound is as good the eye appeal then its a keeper for sure. Very nice. Lp

Mike Crocker
Feb-16-2006, 9:54am
Is it the optics, or is it really that green? I love the colour.

Peace, Mooh.

bluegrassplayer
Feb-16-2006, 10:24am
That is beautiful!

Mark Walker
Feb-16-2006, 12:36pm
That's a beauty! Any shots of the front of the headstock? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

mandoh
Feb-16-2006, 1:01pm
It is a little green. This was Skips first sunburst. He found by adding a little black that the green went away. In person the mandolin is more of a bronze. Ill put up a peghead picture tonight. The other mando was bought by a girl from Boston at Grey Fox. Id like to also put up a sound clip. Where is the best place?

Lane Pryce
Feb-16-2006, 1:59pm
I recognized the mandolin in the second pic. Sweet ole killer aint it? My A has the same finish and about as much figure as your F5. How is the radius working out for you? Lp

Mike Crocker
Feb-16-2006, 2:33pm
I always wanted a mandolin that has that smallmouth bass (the fish) green tint. Beautiful!

Peace, Mooh.

mandoh
Feb-16-2006, 3:52pm
Ha! I never thought of calling her "old bronze back". What a name. No more work for the day. Heres the peghead.

Lane Pryce
Feb-16-2006, 4:53pm
Who is building the Grey Eagle mandolins? Peg head scroll is real clean. Nice work. Lp

mandoh
Feb-16-2006, 5:25pm
Skip Perye is from ct. but is living up in Malone ny. Im not sure but I think his info is in the builders page. If not I can give you his info. He has been up there for about 6 months and is building like crazy. He says he has got 5 mandos ready for binding. Skip is a good friend and Im looking forward to seeing how his mandolins will be recieved once people start to hear them. Im going to try to convince him to send one to the mando tasting this year. Ive played alot of different builders mandolins including two loars and believe me when I say mine stands out.

Lane Pryce
Feb-16-2006, 5:36pm
Wow that second mandolin looks like Skip Kelley's #9!! Fooled Me!!!

Your friend is very talented and has a knack for getting the best out his wood too. Is that an oil varnish finish? Lp

mandoh
Feb-16-2006, 6:42pm
I didnt mean to mislead you. They are nitro but applied very thin. Skip, Perye that is, will be starting to use varnish. Hes been experimenting. Ive found that varnish is alot more affected by the elements. Not that Im in the habit of abusing my instruments. Skip is a hell of a nice guy and he could answer questions much better than myself though i dont mind trying.

DryBones
Feb-16-2006, 11:08pm
I always wanted a mandolin that has that smallmouth bass (the fish) green tint. Beautiful!

Peace, Mooh.
if its a smallmouth color you want than that would definitely be bronze not green! but yeah, that mandolin reminded me of a smallmouth bass as well. I may have to get one of these just for the color! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Kbone
Feb-06-2008, 2:36pm
I'm a little late in this thread, but ran into it doing a search. I concur that Skip is putting out some incredible mandolins, after hearing his last three that were hosses for sure - anyway I should have mine in March sometime - he's all about tone...