PDA

View Full Version : Elixir Strings

sandcastlefaith
Apr-01-2004, 6:49am
Can someone tell me the difference between polyweb and nanoweb strings? I've had two sets of elixirs, but I don't know which they were, poly or nano, and I want to make sure I get the kind that are best for me.

WJF
Apr-01-2004, 10:31am
Both sets are coated with a type of Goretex covering to maximize the string life beyond what you'd typically get from an uncoated string.

The Polywebs have a fairly heavy coating and feel kinda "slippery" ... at least to me. The Nanowebs have a lighter coating and more of a "string feel" to them. Both sets maintain their "new" sound for quite a while but when they go dead, they **really** go dead (think rubber bands)

Hope this helps ...

John Flynn
Apr-01-2004, 11:22am
I tried the original Elixers once. I don't know which "web" that was. They were OK at first, but was not wild about them. The most annoying thing is that if you play them hard for a few weeks, the coating starts to shred and the strings get "fuzzy." I was never tempted to use them again.

Pickin_N_Ridin
Apr-01-2004, 1:12pm
I tried the original Elixirs (polywebs) and absolutely hated them. Hated the feel...hated the tone...hated them. I haven't tried the nanowebs on a mando, but have on guitar. If they are anything like the guitar strings they are BRIGHT. Too bright for me. I switched to D'addario EXPs on my guitars and have used them ever since. Just my $.02

Mike Bullard
Apr-01-2004, 1:59pm
Just put another set on this morning. Love them and will not use anything else. I am currently using the nanowebs (ELX_11525A) and they last longer than standard non-coated strings. They hold their tone, stay in tune and simply just work great. Have used both types with excellant results. Have also tried the others but keep coming back to Elixir. Plus they will not leave that green stuff on your palm... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

ira
Apr-01-2004, 2:18pm
lllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooovvvvvvvvvvvvvvveee eeeeee them!

bright, but not overly so, lend themselves to a woody feel in tone as well. comfortable to play regardless of the string or fret.

WJF
Apr-01-2004, 2:45pm
I'd have to side with ira & MikeB42 here ... I never thought anything would come between me and a set of J-74's but these NanoWebs have done exactly that. Of course, your mileage may vary ... best to try a set and form your opinion.

sandcastlefaith
Apr-01-2004, 2:57pm
Okay . . .so I must be using the polywebs. Are the nanowebs a little bit "slippery" too? Because I like that in moderation. I just hate that feel of strings that are too rough and have too much friction to slide at all. Do the D'Adarrio EXP's have a similar feel to the nanowebs?

WJF
Apr-01-2004, 5:15pm
The Nanowebs (IMO) offer a nice compromise between "slippery" and "string feel". I tried the D'Addario coated strings and (again, purely in my subjective opinion), didn't like them as well as the Elixirs.

Hope this helps ...

Ranger
Apr-03-2004, 1:45am
funny this topic should come up... saw my first set of Elixir Polywebs at local music store here. they wanted i recall, $26.00 for them? is this price normal for your part of the country?
i wound up buying a $10 set of Martins, was all they had. time to start ordering from the net.
Ranger

WHITEBIRD
Apr-03-2004, 8:07pm
Not sure on the polywebs, but Just Strings has the nanowebs for $12.00 per pack. That's where I bought mine, just have not tried them yet. They also have a special now on 10 sets plus a $70.00 tuner for $135.00. Visit them here :

www.juststrings.com

-Not really a plug, just sharing what I know, plus they help support this site!

mandojosh
Apr-06-2004, 7:27pm
They just released the Nanos in january, so if anybody tried them before then, you were playing pollys, and the pollys were just awefull! They stopped making them, and only do the Nanos now. But the Nanos are ( in my oppinion ) really amazing, They feel great, and sound just like uncoated strings if not better.
Josh Pinkham

ira
Apr-09-2004, 10:09am
i agree, less slippery, but still easy on the fingers, and more clear/less muddy than the poly strings. only issue is that though i changed the polys after a long while, never popped a string, and on the nanos, popped one after approx 1 month.

Yonkle
Apr-10-2004, 8:27pm
I just put a set of Elixers on my new #3 Mando. I think I like them so far. They have a good wooden tone without losing much volume, if any at all. They are about 11 bucks here .

fiddler59
Apr-10-2004, 10:00pm
I too am still on my first set of nanos and after three weeks of SOLID playing they are still as if I had just put them on. I would have already gone through 2 sets of J74s.
I only wish they made them in the guages of J75s. I just ordered a bunch of .115 & .016,s to work around that.
David Blackmon

Bluemando
Apr-13-2004, 4:09am
to answer the original question of "what is the difference between poly and nano". I believe that the poly are coated after winding and the nano is coated, then wound.
I happen to agree with mandojohnny, they will leave your strings fuzzy if you play them hard, but on the other hand, they do sound great untill they fuzz up.

ira
Apr-13-2004, 9:26am
i actually like that little bit of fuzz for that kind o raunchy blues and rock sound.

Igor The Cat
Apr-18-2004, 1:22pm
I use elixirs for G,D,A and GHS for E and i love it!!

-Java

Steve G
Apr-24-2004, 10:06pm
Well. I finally tried 'em and I like 'em. The bananowebs that is. The polywebs don't sound very good. But they sound that way for a long time. I sure do wish they would tone down the brightness on their bananoweb guitar strings though. I tried to talk to them about that once but they said that's what everybody wants. Boy, bright is an understatement. You have to wear shades on your ears. I might have to start a petition.

AeroJoe
Apr-28-2004, 9:47pm
I'm posting this to put it back at the top of the discussion list in hopes of more comments ...I'd be interested in hearing what more of you have to say, now that you may have had some time to try out the newer "Nanoweb" set, and what you and your instruments responses/opinions are...

...I had been using the D'Adarrio EXP J-74's until I broke a .26 after it being on for only two weeks...granted, I play every day, but I thought this a bit pre-mature for a $17 set of strings...

dlwillms
May-09-2004, 1:28pm
I have used the Elixer's on my guitar and like them fine. However, I just put a set on my Rigel, and find them to be "too slippery". #Seems my fingers have a tendency to slid off the g if I am not careful. #I believe this set is the original Elixer and not the newer nanoweb. #Of course, could just be my lousy playing technique too. #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif