PDA

View Full Version : Cherokee Shuffle--Mandolin Project Discussion

craig
Apr-01-2004, 6:17am
phewww, that was close! but, it's "Cherokee Shuffle" for April!

the TEF link is up, plus i found an MP3 link of the song by a band called "Cork 'N Bottle String Band". i thought it would be useful for anyone that isn't familiar with the song.

craig

cam
Apr-01-2004, 6:40am
Where are the tef links again? I can't see any mp3 under Cherokee either.
cam

craig
Apr-01-2004, 6:55am
cam,

go to the MP page and click, here and here:

Brian Ray
Apr-01-2004, 9:27am
It's probably better to put a Link to the homepage (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/) here...

fmspinc
Apr-01-2004, 10:00am
Well, once again I am struggling to open the TEF on my Mac. I fought through to get the Sally Goodin (with lots of input) and now I simply can't remember each exact step ... So, how is this done ?? Thanks

Mike Buesseler
Apr-01-2004, 12:21pm
Hey, that mp3 is fine enough, alright, but unless I missed something, the mandolin (which you can hear comping throughout) doesn't even take a break! #It would have been nice to hear that....(imho).

cam
Apr-01-2004, 1:31pm
thanks craig for the links.

Michael H Geimer
Apr-01-2004, 2:06pm
I started working on it over coffee this morning. After talking some with MikeB about his duets, I'm gonna try to come up with an original mandolin duet for Cherokee Shuffle ... that F#min chords should be nice to harmonize against.

This time I promise to use up the whole month. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

craig
Apr-01-2004, 4:32pm
nah, you're right MikeB. it's unfortunate there's no mando break in that tune. i posted the link because it's the only one i could find that included the whole song. i didn't want to do anything illegal and post up something copyrighted. just thought it would be good to have the tune for a reference as to how the song goes. it's up to YOU to come up with the mando break http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

happy pickin!

craig

Mike Buesseler
Apr-01-2004, 4:38pm
Well, my mandolin "break" is going to sound a lot like the TableEdit version you posted. #I'll be lucky to get that right. #I'll leave the variations, etc, to Benignus. #

I *might* do up a harmony part of my own, actually, only now that Benig is working on his, I might not post mine any time soon. #We discussed working up something together, but I can't match his recording setup and sound. #

But, I'll be hacking away at this thing. #This is such a COOL thread, Craig!

stanley
Apr-01-2004, 4:46pm
That thar' F#m thingy is a chords??? #First there's automobiles, then computers, and now this??? Where's our traditions gowne??? #And you say there's more than one of 'em two??? #That just might possibly be the last time I sell my vote!!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

and what's this I hear about Bill's mandolin goin to japan?

levin4now
Apr-01-2004, 8:43pm
stanley, #i don't know about you and your mando-ability, but the F#m isn't too bad a chord. #Take a four-finger G, drop back ONE fret, and lift your index finger (open A string), or if you play an F chord with 3 fingers, just slide it up one fret. #

Either way, it leaves an open string, which I guess isn't so good for chopping, but I guess you could mute it.

I tried to diagram them, but it came out messy...(the mando cafe' chord dictionary shows two different four finger versions that i can't get a handle on...)

I, for one cannot use this four fingered "D-shape" chord and minor it. #I usually leave the E string open and mute it.

stanley
Apr-02-2004, 10:59am
Thanks Alan,

I was just 'joshing' about...being april 1st and all...kinda poking fun at the bluegrass perception/paradigm of all major chord changes.

In all seriousness, those three finger minor chords can sound very nice (& they ring well on my rigel). The F#min is the chord that Police's "message in a bottle" resolves to (I may be the only mando player that can do a few police songs...); slide that chord up one fret and you have the Gmin root chord for "I shot the sherrif" (a great song for playing around with 'textured' chop patterns...look it up its great!).

Yes, and I agree, the three finger pattern seems to be the way to go (muting the bottom E) for most Dmin through Gmin applications. And then just step it down a string for Amin through Cmin. As far as chopping the F#min for this song...I'm not sure its totally necessary, as hitting it once and going for the ring seems to work well for these chord changes. Well, at least that's what I'm doing now...

Maybe I'll get my recording issues sorted out by the end of the month so that I can post a version (but no promises...)

Bill

levin4now
Apr-02-2004, 2:35pm
See? I'm the one that needs help!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

fmspinc
Apr-02-2004, 8:04pm
Can someone post the Tab in some other format, PDF, scaned, e-mail to me, anything .. I can not open the TEF. Thanks !!!

levin4now
Apr-03-2004, 8:38am
fmspinc,

i will even MAIL it to you if you'd like...

but why are you having problems with the TEF? Were you able to open Sally Goodin fine? Do you use TEF files otherwise without a problem? This one shouldn't be any different. Obviously, using the TEF in the appropriate TEFview program is an awesome way to learn an unfamiliar song...for beginners anyway.

Let me know.

craig
Apr-03-2004, 8:50am
whelp. the first recording of cshuffle is already up. you're in for a bit of a suprise, too . . .

thanks "jimbobebob"! that was fun!

craig

harwilli55
Apr-03-2004, 11:47am
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif So that's what a Bass Mando sounds like!!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif Love it!!! Thanks bobebob....you made my day!!!!!

Harlan

craig
Apr-04-2004, 5:10pm
gastineau_smolt,

come on out and fess up! you've been holdin' out on us. that's great stuff! i'm inspired, man! your playing sounds relaxed (if that's possible). thanks!!

craig

levin4now
Apr-04-2004, 6:27pm
I haven't even heard jimbobebob's version yet, but i knew it would rock. I had the pleasure of being invited to a beginner's jam, by this "beginner" and I just about packed up the mando and headed home when he opened up on his first break! Way to go Jim.

Alan

Michael H Geimer
Apr-04-2004, 7:15pm
"Uncle!", he cried.
-------------------

Well, I 'got lucky' - very lucky - yesterday, and captured a nice clean statement of the melody. I almost just submitted that track alone, as it holds up just fine!

But, I thought my goal of a recording two mandolin arrangement was lost, as I could never hope to set a harmony part to such fast flowing phrases without ruining the groove ...

... but after hashing through endless contingency plans, that all worked itself out too. In the end, the harmony part was surely the most challenging and most satisfying part of to work out and perform. I am very happy with its subtle, cleaver twists, like how the quater-note emphasis really works both to hold down the groove, and keep the harmony part in a supporting role.

It feels like The Muse herself dropped by today and gave me this nice gift, 'cause I can't quite believe that those notes came out of these fingers. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

The file is up at the Yahoo! Group. Only Master Craig can move it to the Project Wesite.

- Benignus

Mike Buesseler
Apr-04-2004, 8:52pm
Well, Mr. Ben Ignus, I was going to PM you, but then realized I wanted others to read what I have to say.

First, I read your post and wondered what happened to the month you said you would need to give this tune. #Then I downloaded it and played it (with my wife listening). #We both LOVED it, of course. #At the ending, my wife said, "I don't like that ending." #(She's not heard much bluegrass.). I played it a second time and she said, "Gee, I didn't even hear that 'weird' part this time..." #So, I guess you sold her, too.

Fabulous, Mike! #I love that simple counterpoint second mando. #Sort of a Norman Blake (my hero) feel to it. #Great arrangement, both parts! #You OWN that tune, Buddy.

You are my new hero. #Norman Blake got nuttin on you! #You da MAN! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

Michael H Geimer
Apr-04-2004, 9:05pm
"Gee, I didn't even hear that 'weird' part this time..."

I'm curious what others think of that turnaround. I just kept 'hearing it' as I practiced the song, so I just added it for no other reason than that I liked it ... but I often have weird ideas of what sounds 'right'.

MikeB, thanks man. The NB feel was definately something I was going for with this.

- Benig

G_Smolt
Apr-04-2004, 9:50pm
Ok, it was me.

Sorry.

Mando: Coleson F #16
Recording device: Internet Tapedeck
Microphone: The little thingy on the Radio Shack phone headset...

Motivation: halfway through the first cup of coffee, awake for mebbe an hour...hence the "relaxed"(read:sloppy) feel.

craig
Apr-05-2004, 8:08am
This time I promise to use up the whole month.
promise, eh? and, hey, where's that duet?

seriously, i enjoyed what you did with the harmony in this one. i like how the harmony comes to meet the melody and fades back into the background as you do that double-stop slide to the higher notes with it. nice effect. again, you did excellent work!

thanks!!

craig

craig
Apr-05-2004, 8:10am
G Smolt,

i meant "relaxed" in a good way, not sloppy.

craig

G_Smolt
Apr-05-2004, 11:38am
Thanks craig...

I sorta like the loose, jangly (good "sloppiness") style of picking, and when you have a guitar and bass around, most of the other tones and incidental pickstrikes are pretty complimentary.

taken by itself, it sounds sorta...well...you know #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael H Geimer
Apr-05-2004, 11:49am
Jimbobebob,
Brilliant! Those reaches must've been difficult ... bas is just too big for me, but the guys in Spinal Tap are surely proud of you. You've just recorded the Big Bottom of fiddle tunes. LOL! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

- Benig

siliqua
Apr-05-2004, 12:09pm
ML...do it again except this time stick to the melody for the first two bars, like we talked about. Establish the tune...

Kelly_guy
Apr-05-2004, 2:01pm
Cool, Cork 'n Bottle is a Madison bluegrass band! I've seen them a few times around town. Shame there's no mando break, their mando player is quite good.

How many bpm would you say that recording is at? I'm still stuck at 110 bpm http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif If I play any faster, I always screw up some part or another. And I play much slower if I'm trying to play the song from memory.

Oh well, more and more practice...sigh...

stringburner
Apr-05-2004, 6:54pm
gastineau_smolt, I really loved your take on CS, it sounded very smooth, great tone. Benigus, I really dug that "weird part", cool turn around! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

Michael H Geimer
Apr-05-2004, 8:26pm
G-Smolt,
I had you all wrong. Somehow I thought you did the bass guitar version, but of course that was Jimbobebob.

I really like your version. It's got *feel* in a big way.

- Benig

jimini_pickit
Apr-06-2004, 1:03am
Benig,
That bass version only came out of frustration, trying to get multiple tracks of Audacity to align correctly...started doing the bass track with 1st and 5ths (boom..boom) but at 2am the mind wanders and it ended up being the melody; thought it sounded kinda cool, and since Craig said it could be ANY instrument.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

-JP
(the artist incogneto as Jimbobebob)

fmspinc
Apr-08-2004, 10:54pm
OK, I am still catching up here ...

Where do I load (upload, whatever) my mp3 of Cherokee to.

Thanks

craig
Apr-09-2004, 4:24am
fmspinc,

hey! you can upload the song at the Yahoo!Groups page: Mandolin Project (http://launch.groups.yahoo.com/group/mandolinproject/). you'll have to sign-up if you haven't already done so. it's free and straight-forward. once you've done that you'll be able to put the MP3 in the relevant folder in "Files" on that page. THEN, i'll move it to the Mandolin Project Mainpage (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com).

cheers,

craig

levin4now
Apr-10-2004, 6:01pm
I was wondering if there were any words to this song "Cherokee Shuffle". Or is/was it just an instrumental.

l4n

craig
Apr-11-2004, 6:36am
come y'all! #let's hear it for fmspinc's version of cshuffle! #this is some cool stuff!

fmspinc, very tasteful mix of slides, double-stops, hammer-ons and hammer-offs. #well done! #the song has a drive to it. #had to chuckle a bit at the kid talkin' in the beginning. #any chance that he/she is gonna be a mandoliner some day?

thanks for sharing!!

craig

harwilli55
Apr-11-2004, 8:52am
Fantastic fspinc!!! I really like all of the little extra's you put in there, the slides, double stops, clear notes, excellent pace!!!!

Harlan

Kelly_guy
Apr-11-2004, 9:10am
Great....I just realized that I've been practicing the WRONG VERSION of Cherokee shuffle! D'oh. There are two versions at co-mando.com, and silly me, since this is supposed to be a "beginner's project", I picked the tune that was "intermediate" rather than "advanced".

Actually, it doesn't look any more difficult than the "intermediate" version, but I've been practicing since mid-March and I still wouldn't want to put up a recording. So I'll switch over to the version everybody else is playing and get to work!

fmspinc, that's a great recording! Congrats such good work. Tasty!

craig
Apr-11-2004, 9:38am
Kelly_guy,

you can learn whichever version you want!! if you're happy with the one you're working on, stick with it. it's more interesting to hear the different versions, anyway . . .

craig

Coy Wylie
Apr-14-2004, 5:11pm
I finally uploaded my version of CS. We will have to wait until Craig gets it moved to the CS folder. I did this last week and hoped to have time to do a more polished recording but I decided for now to post it as it is. I put a break of "Bonapart Crossing the Rocky Mountains" in the middle because it added the demision of Am and after returning to CS dropped down to D for a slightly different version. I'd like to increase the speed by 20 or 30 bpm but haven't had time to do all the recording at that speed. Maybe I can do an update later. Be gentle... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

craig
Apr-14-2004, 6:22pm
Willard,

rockin' stuff pal! I like the wet chops, song change and key change. morphs very nicely and makes it quite interesting! you're way ahead of most of us.

cheers!

craig

Dan Adams
Apr-14-2004, 7:55pm
I posted a copy of mine also, kinda by mistake. But thanks to the help of Craig and a few others, I think I can get through another posting with little or no effort. Right! All I need to do is figure out how to use Audacity to make better recordings. This 15 minutes a day trying to learn a new program, and then trying to record a palatable tune, has got to change. I need a few hours of time to study and play.

I still can't play guitar, Dan

Coy Wylie
Apr-15-2004, 12:04am
Stayed up late and posted my updated version.

levin4now
Apr-15-2004, 8:59am
Willard, Great job! Very nice.

What I don't understand is that the last few versions I have heard all sound similar (like they are the same basic arrangement) and mine sounds different (at this point). Who is using the tef/tab posted by Craig and who isn't? (Is ANYone using the tef by Craig?)

Kelly_guy
Apr-15-2004, 9:51am
tef by Craig? Whazzat? I'm playing the one that's posted on the mandolinproject web page. It's called CherokeeShuffle2-A-trad.tef and I have no idea who tabbed it. It sounds vaguely like what Willard played, but a bit different in parts. The other versions sound drastically different.

Great job, willard! I like the way that sounds. It's still much faster than I can play the tune, and I won't be improvising, but hey, I'm just a beginner, too.

Coy Wylie
Apr-15-2004, 1:32pm
Willard, #Great job! #Very nice.

What I don't understand is that the last few versions I have heard all sound similar (like they are the same basic arrangement) and mine sounds different (at this point). #Who is using the tef/tab posted by Craig and who isn't? #(Is ANYone using the tef by Craig?)
I used the tabledit file Craig posted for the first AA and B. On the second B I used a different arrangement I found and then ended on A minor going into "Bonapart Crossing the Rocky Mountains." I really like that transition. Then I went back to Craig's arrangement for the B part again and then dropped down to the key of D to play the secondary arrangment A&B one time through.

It looks like "Cattle in the Cane" is winning for next month so I need to look up some different versions and start learning it.

craig
Apr-15-2004, 2:23pm
not to be pedantic, but just wanted to clarify that the Cherokee Shuffle TEF link on the Mandolin Project page is from www.co-mando.com. I believe it was edited/scripted by Mike Stangeland who has contributed volumes of songs to the co-mando TEF archives.

just giving credit where credit is due.

carry on . . .

harwilli55
Apr-15-2004, 4:38pm
Willard,

Great piece, great transitions, innovative !!!!! Ahhhh so jealous, but it sure does help to hear what can be done.

Harlan

fmspinc
Apr-15-2004, 6:56pm
Hey, Thanks for the great feedback. I could not find a way to remove the metronome noise using Garage Band; my 6 yr. olds' voice seemed ok to leave in. There are 3 parts, mandolin lead, mandolin chords and me on guitar (real soft) in the background.

Fmsp

Coy Wylie
Apr-15-2004, 9:01pm
Hey Fmsp,

I got rid of the metronome noise by using a computer metronome and feeding it through my headphones while I played the melody and then recording the mando lead (sans the click) with a desktop mic.

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-16-2004, 2:24pm
Willard,
I think your version was just awesome. Loved the minor part, and the set of different tunes, then back to Cherokee, very nice indeed!

I don't think I'll come up with a version of Cherokee shuffle, I'm too busy. Maybe if it's ok to post it in May. I have too much to do with school but it will be better after the 4th of May. I'll be back for the next tune.

jimini_pickit
Apr-16-2004, 11:59pm
Hey y'all,
I just posted my melody-only version of CS (it's one learned from Steve Kaufman's 'Bluegrass Workout' CD). I had hoped to do a full mix, but couldn't get my other tracks to line up yet, and this take of the melody seemed to turn out pretty good. So I'm still working on the rest of the mix, will post again when complete.

Jim Prichard

Coy Wylie
Apr-17-2004, 8:55am
Great job so far Jim!

levin4now
Apr-17-2004, 9:11am
It looks like "Cattle in the Cane" is winning for next month so I need to look up some different versions and start learning it.
Ah Willard, but beware the late-April Hornpipe Rally!

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/coffee.gif

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

craig
Apr-17-2004, 5:15pm
well, since jimbobebob's got two recordings of cherokee shuffle up, figured i'd better get something posted. so, i put up a pretty rough version, but it captures the basic sound i was going for. not my best work, but i really like this song. i think there's lots of room for embelishment if you want to venture that way.

thanks for listening . . .

craig

harwilli55
Apr-17-2004, 5:41pm
Craig,
Not only are you up early.....but it sounds great....even sustained pace with clear bright notes.....good rythmically and just a pleasure to hear. Great Job!!!!

Harlan

Coy Wylie
Apr-17-2004, 11:58pm
Great job, Craig. I really liked how you ended the tune. Thanks again for your creative ideas in setting all this up. It's been fun and challenging.

levin4now - Alan: Hey, I voted for Fisher's and I hope for the late rally... but just in case, I want to get a head start on the Cattle!

craig
Apr-18-2004, 4:19am
harwilli, thanks, i was concentrating on keeping the timing for once. i've completely neglected this because i mostly play alone. but, it hurts when you get together to pick with someone.

willard, yeah, the ending was because i forgot ( http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif ) to repeat the second part so i just kinda faded off . . .

thanks for the compliments y'all and GO "Cattle in the Cane".

craig

levin4now
Apr-18-2004, 8:05am
Craig, Nice job on Cherokee Shuffle! I guess I'd better be getting on towards recording one too!

I haven't figured out how to get the major 'hiss' out of my recordings. Can Audacity 'filter' some of that out?
What types of mics are you guys using? I haven't heard much of a hiss from anyone. (except from Craig when he hears we want to upset Cattle in the Cane http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif )

harwilli55
Apr-18-2004, 8:33am
Alan,

Yes you can get the hiss out with Audacity. Make sure when you record, to wait approximately 5 or 6 seconds before making any sounds. Then when you are finished recording. Use the cursor to make a segment of the quiet hiss part dark, holding down the left mouse button. Then go to the EFFECTS tab at the top, click on noise removal, a box will appear, click on sample.

Then go back and start your cursor at the beginning or end, hold the mouse button down, darken the whole song, go back to EFFECTS, click on Noise Removal, and apply. This should take any hiss out of your recording.

Hope that helps.

Harlan

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-18-2004, 12:21pm
Very nice listening, Craig. Beautiful. Ear candy, so to speak.

Coy Wylie
Apr-18-2004, 4:24pm
i was concentrating on keeping the timing for once. #i've completely neglected this because i mostly play alone. #but, it hurts when you get together to pick with someone.
Timing is such a critical issue. I play in a local jam twice each week with some pretty good musicians. I've asked two of them to critique my playing privately and to give me any suggestions for improvement. They both said basically the same thing. I do well on rythmn playing, keeping my chop time. However, when I take a break, I tend to get nervous and rush ahead of the beat. I don't realize this because I am concentrating on getting all the notes in. This comes from playing by myself. The both urged constant practice with a metronome.

I gave this hint a little earlier but it helps me so much it may help others too so let me repeat. You can download a metronome that will play through you PC. I use it all the time. I pull up a tabledit file and just turn on the metronome and work on the tune at whatever speed it comfortable. I try to increase the speed a bit every day.

When I recorded CS, I had the metronome set at the appropriate speed and then used my headphones. I then played the tune into the microphone. The metronome established the timing but could not be heard in the microphone.

I don't know if that is cheating or not but it certainly helps, like hearing the bass while playing in a jam.

This is the metronome software (http://www.familyeducation.com/software/0,1745,34-11474,00.html) I've been using.

Here's an on line metronome (http://www.metronomeonline.com/metronomeonline/Default.asp?bhcp=1).

craig
Apr-18-2004, 6:40pm
Willard,

thanks for your comments. i downloaded the metronome and well try out your little trick tomorrow.

although i haven't had the opportunity to go to jam sessions (hopefully that will change soon) i do get together with a buddy every few days to pick. and, i certainly find myself doing the same as you, speeding along when it's my turn to pick the melody. it's pretty tough not to get so excited. normally, i'd be a pretty laidback guy, but i get pretty wound-up/nervous/excited when picking. guess that's a good thing.

anyway, thanks for the metronome software and you input in general!

cheers,

craig

Mike Buesseler
Apr-18-2004, 9:10pm
Nice job, Craig! (Nobody else mentioned it, but I got a loud hum along with you playing.) Don't know what that was, but the playing was nice. Nice recovery on the ending. Half the time when I record, I do great until the last measure, then fumble. You just sashayed on out!

I would post my own, but since I learned it from Benignus's version, I just can't get myself to do it. I do like his version, though. I found it easier to play than than the TefView version.

I sure wish some of you folks lived closer to Montana.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Coy Wylie
Apr-18-2004, 11:21pm
Post it Mike, maybe we will move to Montana http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-19-2004, 4:09am
I've said this before, but I say it again. I can't play with metronomes. I just screw everything up. If I have a guitar, I can play along without problems. I don't learn much with a metronome, more than maybe to not speed up. But if I have chords, as on a guitar or whatever, I can learn to find my way out of mistakes without getting out of time in the tune, this is my greatest problem and what I need to practice. I know this is very controversial saying, since the metronome seems to be God for all musicians. But this is my experience. Then I also need to learn to not speed up, but that's not the big problem I have, because usually I only speed up when I play by myself.
I'd like to be able to play with a metronome though, it would be nice for my recordings. But then I won't have any CS recording up until in August.
How did you folks learn to play with metronomes? Someone adviced me to just keep it on and sing along before playing along. I think I'll stick with that, and then play tunes on an extremely low speed. Even if I'm not that metronome worshipper, it just annoys me that I can't do it when everybody else can do it!!!! Probably it's good practice, and as someone said, if you can play along with a metronome you can play along with anything.

levin4now
Apr-19-2004, 8:15am
harwilli,

haven't had a chance to try it yet, but thanks for the tip on hiss-removal. that should be sweet. Do you have to remove the hiss too, or do you not have any?

Also, my volume seems low, even though I seem to have my mic set on full volume in teh PC controls. I mean, I record with the mic about 8" from the strings and I have to turn it up to hear it. (and it's not a quiet mando or anything...)

Alan

Coy Wylie
Apr-19-2004, 8:18am
Nobody said playing with a mentronome was easy!

I don't use one all the time, especially when I am learning a tune. When I get to the point that I know the tune well enough to play it through without having to stop, I then use the metronome at a low speed, slowly increasing the speed over several days as my fingers memorize the notes and I don't have to think about them any more. That's not to say that I play the tune with the metronome all the time. However, I do try to play it through with the metronome at least once each day.

Sometimes I get lost or screw up a section and have to start all over. The point is that the metronome disciplines your playing.

Of course the most advantageous aspect of the metronome for me is recording, but I've already said that twice.

Thanks again to everyone, especially Craig for this project. It is becoming my favorite part of the cafe.

craig
Apr-19-2004, 2:26pm
fasten your seatbelts for harrmob's latest rendition of Cherokee Shuffle. my, you are cooking kevin!! musta broke the metronome with that one.

craig

Coy Wylie
Apr-19-2004, 2:33pm
Great job harrmob! Great speed and timing (you must be using a 'nome). http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif I especially like the double-stops you threw in at the end of the second A part.

carolynbeth
Apr-19-2004, 2:33pm
How did you folks learn to play with metronomes? Someone adviced me to just keep it on and sing along before playing along.

I find that if I tap my foot along with the metronome, I have an easier time "feeling" the beat....also, I count the beats out loud for the first couple of measures and that seems to help too....

Carolyn

Harrmob
Apr-19-2004, 2:41pm
Thanks y'all. I was playing along with the backup on the midi with the Cherokee Shuffle TEF that Mike Stangeland put together, but he plays it at 245 BPM. That was too fast for me, 225 BPM was slower, but not much. I rarely hear that one, that was a fun one to learn.

harwilli55
Apr-20-2004, 7:40am
harrmob,

Man, you can blaze! Great quality playing too, great tone, speed, drive, punch. All the things I would like to have. Thanks for that fine recording.

Harlan

craig
Apr-20-2004, 5:42pm
kkallaur,

nice job with this one. good timing. clear tone. you're right on the money.

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-21-2004, 8:43am
I'm uploading my Cherokee shuffle, I've been trying to do a decent recording for hours now, and even found out how to add back-up and make it sound good, like one file and not 10. I found out I need to use earphones. This time I've used a click track and I screwed it up only ONCE in the whole tune and that's great progress, folks! The back-up sounded awful, though, so I decided to just post the melody, I may post a nicer recording later after my exams.

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-21-2004, 8:47am
By the way, how do y'all manage to get the back-up to sync?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif I can't do that even if I use the time shift editor on Audacity. Or do you have someone playing the guitar or mando back-up behind you while recording the melody?

Coy Wylie
Apr-21-2004, 9:08am
tjet, I didn't see yours on the upload page. Did you get it up yet?

kkallaur, good job, very smooth and almost perfect timing. What were you using for the bass line?

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-21-2004, 9:33am
It's on the Yahoo group.

kkallaur
Apr-21-2004, 9:57am
Willard and Craig,
Thanks for the compliments!! I really feel that I improved leaps and bounds over last month. Willard the Bass line was from my guitar (Gibson Gospel). The rhythm was the basic bass strum pattern on the tef file.

I really love all the great versions of Cherokee everyone has done so far. I look forward to hearing everyone elses take on it. I'd also love to hear some more versions of Sally Goodin.

Coy Wylie
Apr-21-2004, 12:26pm
It's on the Yahoo group.
Okay, now it is there. Wasn't earlier, Craig must not have moved it yet. Anyway, good job! You used a little different arrangement than the standard but it was very nice.

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-21-2004, 1:43pm
Thanks a lot! Actually, since I don't have any ink in my printer I can't print the tabledit files, and it's too much work learning them from the screen. Also, they are too complicated to learn them by ear with the little time I have. On this tune I've listened some to Aubrey Haynie's version and memorized the basics, then just improvised. I probably will want to learn the tabledit version too because I like it a lot, but I have too little time for learning the more complicated stuff right now, unfortunately. Next month tune will be a horror for me, as I haven't even heard it before!!!! But I'll have some more time to work on it then, as most of my exams are over very soon.

Martin
Apr-21-2004, 7:04pm
I just uploaded my version of Cherokee Shuffle. I had a metronome going but I still was speeding up a little.
I think this project is great. It's got me using my recording stuff again and it's helping me focus on learning new tunes.

Martin/g55637

craig
Apr-21-2004, 7:12pm
Martin,
thanks! yeah, it's hard not to speed-up, especially when you start to see the finish line in site and you just want to drive it home without messing up (just for once!). fortunately, it's the type of song that does well with that. you kind of expect it to speed up. for me, it's just one of those songs that seems to go faster and faster . . .

good job with it and thanks for the upload!

craig

Coy Wylie
Apr-21-2004, 10:26pm
Great job Martin. Good high speed pick'n. What was speed was your 'nome set to? I gotta get my next one up a little faster.

Martin
Apr-22-2004, 5:36am
Thanks, craig, Willard. I had the metro set at 100bpm. It took me awhile to get there. I'm still not totally happy with it but I was pleased I was able to get through it a couple of times without totally crashing.

martin

Bluegrasstjej
Apr-22-2004, 8:58am
Very nice, Martin, I liked that. You're doing great!

levin4now
Apr-27-2004, 6:43am
I need to focus on this Cherokee tune. I haven't had the time over the last two weeks (or the energy) to focus. I can pretty much run through the tune but not cleanly!

Congrats to everyone's versions so far - they're great.

ADM

Jaded
Apr-28-2004, 2:40am
Finally got a chance to listen to the recordings that are up so far. Good work everyone. I haven't devoted much time to this tune, but I reckon i'll try to work somethin up soon.

Don Christy
May-01-2004, 8:21am
Well I've worked on Cherokee Shuffle for about 2 weeks and I finally got it recorded. Keep in mind that I'm a beginner!!!!

Yesterday morning I tried to record and just couldn't get anything down during an hour session.

This morning, things went much better. The melody line is the first take this morning. The rhytmn took a couple of takes. When my dawg Scout decided enough is enough, I called it a wrap!

So i posted to Yahoo. I guess Craig is out for a while. Anyway, my timing's not so great and I have some trouble with that F#m but overall I'm pleased.
Don

Bluegrasstjej
May-01-2004, 9:50am
Ducati, I didn't find anything wrong with your timing and your recording is lovely to listen to!! I love your slides (or are they hammer-ons?)!!! Well done!!!

Don Christy
May-01-2004, 10:25am
Thanks tjej,
I do the normal slide that's in the tab file, but I did add some hammer ons in the b section (and changed a couple of notes to accommodate them).
Don

chirorehab
May-01-2004, 5:35pm
Well, I just uploaded my slow version of Cherokee Shuffle!

After hearing some of your versions, I was a little nervous too put mine up! You guys are great!

That was tough!

Eric

Don Christy
May-02-2004, 7:40am
chirorehab - your recording is great. very clean playing. nice little tremelo there at the end too.
Don

Michael H Geimer
May-02-2004, 9:05am
Uncle Ken,
You've nailed everything I was shooting for on CS! I even just lifted a couple of yer licks for myself. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif I hope you don't mind.

Ducati08,
I did a spit take when I realized what "with assistance from scout" meant! LMOA!!!!!! Great job, all around. Keep 'em coming.

chirorehab,
You sound clean and steady. You've got nothing to worry about. Keep posting.

Dasspunk,
I like your swing. It's real natural and contagious.

ALright folks ... May has begun. Who's already got some Cattle out in the Cornfield?

Mike Buesseler
May-02-2004, 3:15pm
Everytime I think I've heard my favorite rendition of CS, along comes another one. Dasspunk--LOVE that swing!!

And, I'm trying to steal licks from Uncle Ken, too. To say nothing of my original version sounding suspiciously similar to yours, Benig.... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Brian Ray
May-02-2004, 4:03pm
Thanks Gents,

and right back at you. There's some fine picking goin' on here...

chirorehab
May-02-2004, 6:05pm
I agree, there is some fine pickin' going on here!

Thanks for the kind words!

Every recording sounds great! I can tell that we are all really improving with our playing.

You guys are great! This is so much fun!

Thanks again to Craig for putting this together!

I would hope to one day get to play with you guys in a jam!

Keep up the great work!

Eric

carolynbeth
May-02-2004, 11:33pm
Well, better late than never; just posted mine FINALLY... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif Would have uploaded last weekend, but I was having some weird static and skipping problems with Audacity -- took a while to get it figured out...

I've really been enjoying everyone's versions so far, they're all so unique-- and LOVE the dog! just train him to bark on the downbeats and you've got yourself a rhythm player...er, barker... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Carolyn

Bluegrasstjej
May-03-2004, 6:41am
Carolyn, your recording is just awesome. I love variations and this certainly is ear candy!!! Great tone and timing!!

carolynbeth
May-03-2004, 10:47am
Thanks Susanne. I've been really trying to focus on improving tone -- speed still eludes me http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif -- so I appreciate the feedback!

Carolyn

ira
May-04-2004, 7:21am
great playing everyone- daspunk -wow what a groove! and i love the dog barking on another cut.
don't hate me because i don't know this song, but is it bg? should it be played at a fast tempo? it is such a groovy little number. i printed out the tab last night, and just played with different tempos, and other stuff.

also, are folks making 2 track cuts to add in the rythm? if not, how are you doing that?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif???

look forward to responses.
this is such fun!!!!! thanks to the organizers and to scott for this section of the cafe as well.

Bluegrasstjej
May-04-2004, 1:40pm
Cherokee Shuffle is bluegrass, and as bluegrass it is supposed to be played fast, but of course you decide for yourself what speed you want to play it in.
To add back-up and whatever you want to add, you can use a multitrack audio recording software, the only one I know about that is simple to use is Audacity (there's a link to the site at the Project site). I have the problem to make the two tracks synchronize but maybe you can work that out. Go ahead and try it - we would love to hear you!

ira
May-05-2004, 8:34am
thanks for the feedback. i can get it semi to speed and semi clean, but really think it has a cooler sound when its slowed a little. i love the blue notes!

levin4now
May-05-2004, 11:48am
[QUOTE: "but is it bg? should it be played at a fast tempo?"]

ira,

this is supposed to be (or started out as) a Beginner's project, thus the songs weren't most likely going to get too speedy. #However, some of our beginners are more proficient that others! #http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Alan

craig
May-14-2004, 4:38pm
ducati08,

just getting around to listening to all the recordings i missed while on vacation. love your version of cshuffle! you have a good tempo going with nice backup rhythm. but, the best part of all is the vocals! whoooof!! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

craig

craig
May-14-2004, 4:43pm
chiro,

nice job putting some swing into this one! wasn't too slow for me. better slower and clean than fast and messy. i remember in one of the woodsongs videos with chris thile he said above all else, beginners should focus on playing clean, even if that means slowing it down. nice job!

craig

craig
May-14-2004, 4:44pm
dasspunk,

you are definitely on the right track with your playing (IMHO). i like your style and you've got a very pleasing rhythm and tone with this song.

thanks!

craig

chirorehab
May-15-2004, 6:52am
Craig,

Thanks! As far as working on being clean, I have been working on jazzmando.com's FFcP concept. FFcP (http://members.aol.com/teesch/FFCP.html)

It has really opened up the whole fretboard and given me a great way to play scales!

Congratulations on your graduation and best of luck in the future!

Eric

Bluegrasstjej
May-15-2004, 8:14am
Thanks Eric, I've taken a look at that page and it looks really good, I'll do those exercises too. I really need to practice on playing cleanly, especially in chords.

Martin Jonas
May-15-2004, 10:10am
I've finally got around to recording and uploading Cherokee Shuffle. I had practiced the Co-Mando TEF for a while and got that more or less figured out. However, in the end I recorded the Nigel Gatherer arrangement (here (http://www.nigelgatherer.com/tunes/tab/tab1/cher.html)), as I found it easier to get an even rhythm and a discernable tune out of that. I've taken it at a relatively slow tempo on the Washburn M3-SW.

Martin

Bluegrasstjej
May-15-2004, 10:29am
Wow, Martin, that's a really nice version! I wish I had found that earlier! I like your clear tone, too.

Brian Ray
May-15-2004, 10:48am
Nice job Martin. That is a nice version. Speed schmeed... I don't feel I've learned a tune until I can play it painfully slow.

Are you picking all down strokes?

Martin Jonas
May-15-2004, 11:03am
Susanne, dasspunk --

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, I like that version too. I had actually had a go at a third version last week, namely the Fairport Convention version (from their 1973 album "Nine"). The notes for that one are in the fabulous tunebook that is one of the free goodies that come with the recent Dave Swarbrick box set. However, that version has turned out to be utterly unplayable with my modest skills although it is wonderful (and lightning-fast) on album.

Dasspunk: No, I don't play all down strokes. It's down strokes on the quarter notes and alternating strokes on the eighths (barring occasional glitches in the heat of battle). As far as I can tell from recording myself, however, my tone and stress seems pretty much the same on up and down strokes, so maybe that's why it sounds like all-down.

Martin

Brian Ray
May-15-2004, 11:12am
You have a powerfull upstroke then... great job.

craig
May-30-2004, 6:24pm
myanocsko,

better late than never is right! good job! very clean playing. i like the double-stops you use, that's the same way i play it, too. what kind of mandolin are you playing on? how long you been playing?

thanks for the upload,

craig

Mandobar
May-30-2004, 6:33pm
craig,

it was now or never. the mando is my pomeroy a5. not my best version, but i wanted to post something. i've been playing 2 years.......been playing guitar forever though...........thanks for starting this project. it has forced me to learn at least one tune a month!

-m

Bluegrasstjej
May-31-2004, 3:48am
Mandobar, nice version!
I really like your playing! The double stops are great! Really neat ending too.

Mandobar
May-31-2004, 8:48am
susanne! you graduated!!! congrats! (thanks for the complements. i enjoyed your version too------onward and upward!!!)

mary

Bluegrasstjej
May-31-2004, 9:07am
Thanks Mary! It feels great! And the same day as I graduated, I was told I'm going to be employed permanently at the unit I work at. Permanent jobs are almost non-existing at Swedish hospitals these days so it's wonderful!!

Now my life begins again - I have plenty of time to play the mandolin again!