PDA

View Full Version : review of Nickle Creek concert in Norfolk, VA

jim_n_virginia
Apr-01-2004, 1:48am
Nickle Creek played tonight at 8pm. Mindy Smith was supposed to open for them but she never came out and 8:20pm NC came out to a packed standing room only house.

They opened with an snazzy instrumental. After the opening Chris talked some with the audience. It was clear that even though he is yound he is comfortable handling the crowd.

NC then dazzled the crowd with many of their songs from their last album and had several new songs according to Chris.

They then did an acoustic versian of a Nirvana song and the crowd went wild. By the time Chris did a dazzling lightning fast solo he had the crowd where he wanted them.

Sara Watkins's voice is amazingly clear and along with her brother they harmonized perfectly. They did several 3 part harmony.

As a player myself I learned alot tonight. They did such interesting things with their voices with harmony. Each took turns at wowing the crowd with their proficiancy with their prospective instruments.

I have a Nickle Creek CD in my collection and I must say that I haven't listened to it much since I bought it. I recognized a few songs off of it and I can TELL that NC has grown tighter and the harmony's are near perfect. They have grown a LOT since they released that CD.

Chris even rapped! They did an old Beck song and of course the crowd went wild! They did a couple of fast Celtic songs that sounded great!

They finished with a fantastic display of their talents and said their goodbyes and left the stage.

NC remembered the old adage..."ALWAYS leave'em wantin MORE!" and they DID! The crowd yelled for them and without much prompting NC came back out and did a slow song and of course played the grand finale as the second encore song.

All in all, in was a great show. You can know count me as a Nickle Creek fan!

Now excuse me but......

........ I have a LOT of praticing to do before I am of Thile's caliber!

cheers!

bjc
Apr-01-2004, 8:31am
Greetings, I too was at the show, however I arrived a tad late because on NC's site it said the starting time was 9...yeah my ticket said 8, but since Mindy Smith wasn't going to be there I figured they start a little late...So sadly I missed the Nirvana cover...
I must say this is the most energized I have ever seen them...must be the new material. I also thought it was WAY cool that Chris played octave mando on quite a few tunes...especially since I just started playing octave...
The mix was great, it was the first time that Sean and Sara's solos came out on top of the mix...
And the way they ran "The Fox" out of "Two Turntables and a Microphone" was simply brilliant...
And I too have much practicing to do as well...his chording was amazing and inspiring...

Chris "Bucket" Thomas
Apr-01-2004, 9:27am
Saw it ! Excellent !

Ditto all of the above. The crowd was very diverse in age: college kids and folks that look like they just left a Kingston Trio concert and everyone in between.

Chris

JDARTGOD
Apr-01-2004, 10:22am
NC gets tighter and tighter all the time. I haven't seen them for a couple of years since the 2002 Wintergrass Festival.

Mindy Smith?? I wonder what happened there. I picked up her solo release a couple of months ago based on her cover of Jolene. I like her voice alot. Haven't heard much from her since all the big push for her release back in January.

bjc
Apr-01-2004, 11:20am
Mindy was on the tour previously and then dropped right before the Norva show. If you go to NC's site and look at Sara's journal she talks about Mindy and her mandolin player...and they WERE indeed tight...LIKE I SAID THE KIDS WERE INSPIRED last night

GMatt
Apr-04-2004, 7:52pm
What Nirvana song was it?

chirorehab
Apr-04-2004, 8:49pm
Lithium

Mandobar
Apr-04-2004, 9:11pm
i have seen nickel creek five or six times in the last two years. #the last time i saw them was up in lebanon, nh. #they invited everyone to come down to the front of the theater for the last few songs. #i was sitting in the second row from the front and suddenly there were literally hundreds of people everywhere, clamoring over seats and squeezed up against the stage. #if there had been a fire very few people would have gotten out alive. #(the opera house theater is very very old). #

suddenly it felt like i was at a rock concert, clamouring to be able to see and hear the rest of the concert. #i am not sure i would go to another one of their concerts, although i would have liked to have seen chris and mike play live.

personally i enjoy andrew collins' playing more whether it be with creaking tree or marc roy.