PDA

View Full Version : Input Needed On A Class I'm teaching

Fred Keller
Feb-14-2006, 10:49pm
Howdy!

I posted this to Comando too, but the activity there is sporadic. Here goes...

My band will be leading a youth instruction mini-camp at Minnesota's Winter Bluegrass Weekend in March. The stated goal of the camp (intended for kids 8-18 who CAN play their instrument at some level) is:
"to learn bluegrass jamming etiquette, ensemble playing, how to play back-up and take a break, lead and harmony vocals, as well as instruction on your own instrument"

We've gotten together and brainstormed some class topics to get at this goal. Saturday is our main class day. We have 9-12 and 1-4 with them. We've come up with 30-minute classes with frequent breaks to keep things fresh and moving along. I will teach the mandolin kids. Below are the topics I have to cover in a 30-min class.

--Rhythm techniques (30 mins)
--Lead techniques (30 mins)
--Jam etiquette (30 mins)
--Advanced topic (my choice--30 mins)

My problem is not that I don't know what to do. It's that there's SO MUCH I'd like to cover!

I'd love some input on what you think are some essential techniques mando players need in the above categories so they can be effective jammers.

Thanks!

Fred

Jim Broyles
Feb-14-2006, 11:11pm
Real quickly, because I am short on time right now, for rhythm I'd hit chopping the rhythm, double stop back up with and with out tremolo, backup to the vocals with answer lines and strumming open chords when the sound thins out too much if the only guitar takes a solo break. For lead, I'd hit varying your style within a song - Monroe style, scalar style, up-the-neck double stop tremolo, blues licks, etc.... For etiquette I'd say BE IN TUNE and when you are new to a jam LISTEN, play along only if you know or have figured out the tunes, don't noodle between songs and don't pick songs nobody but you knows.

MandoJon
Feb-15-2006, 4:54am
WARNING - I'm about to say something that could be taken the wrong way. I intend no offence or personal slight in any way whatsoever:

IMHO - we all make too much of Jam etiquette. I don't mean that it is not important but that it is just good manners. If we live in a society that doesn't have good manners then you're not going to teach teenagers how to behave in 30mins. I believe that good manners are good manners whatever the situation and that every new commer to any social gathering (jams included) should show a little defference to the regulars/seniors (and many 'old-hands' could do with a good talking-to about manners because new-commers in too many jams are so often treated with appalling rudeness).

I'd lay a fairly high bet that few teenagers would be willing to sit for half-an-hour listening to a talk on good manners. To them, however well intentioned, it will sound like the sanctimonious ramblings of the 'older generation' (pardon me - that's not a personal attack). I'm not trying to offend you and I DO believe manners are important but how would you have felt if you'd been required to sit through a 30-mins on-line Powerpoint presentation on 'Netiquette' before being allowed to join this site? And yet, despite not having to... most people are polite and courteous, most newbies show defference and there are virtually no flame-wars.

Yes! Cover jam etiquette but I'd spend 5mins on it and use the other 25 to teach music.

PS.
how to play back-up and take a break
Most people I know need few lessons on how to take a break - they'll stop work at a moment's notice http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif (sorry - I couldn't resist - no disrespect intended, just lightening the mood a tad)

Perry
Feb-16-2006, 3:26pm
How to play and practice with a metronome (2 hours). Okay maybe that is a bit much but playing in time seems to be the thing that many people could use some help with. I think teaching them HOW to work with a metronome instead of the usual "get a metronome" is worth all time spent. I mean really the nuts and bolts of it with demonstrations and hands on. How to chop on the off clicks. Running scales with a metronome. Strumming on a metronome. Waltz times etc... Since they can already play they will learn much.

For a detailed method see John McGann's DVD.

It seems to me that jam etiquette is really the same thing as good musicianship:

playing in tune
not playing 'over' others
listening to the music

Perhaps this should be retitled "Musicianship Basics"

Good Luck!

Fred Keller
Feb-16-2006, 3:50pm
Thanks folks. Good tips.

Mandojon--as much as I agree with you, the topic was given to us, not generated by us. As such, it's something we'll need to teach. I do think we can make it less of a powerpoint presentation and more of a hands-on experience.

We're also assuming that these kids may know how to play some, but probably haven't gone to lots of jams. They may not know, for example, that the leg-sticking-in-the-air means play to the end and stop.

We'll do our utmost to keep it fun, hands-on, and free of lecture.

MandoJon
Feb-17-2006, 4:25am
Mandojon--as much as I agree with you, the topic was given to us, not generated by us

Oh well... I think seeing the dynamics could be more instructive than hearing about it, so, how about giving them some guides and then get them to jam (perhaps splitting them into smaller groups) and you could even get a few folk to role play (but don't tell the others what's happening until after). A few roles could be the 'Session Police', the 'obnoxious table-top and spoons percusionist', the 'come-on-give-us-a-shot-of-your-instrument drunk guy' etc. It could be a lot of fun http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Seriously though, can you get some local experienced session players to come in one night - no role play, just a real session(s)? Now that would be VERY instructive both musically and in terms of etiquette, plus HEAPS of fun.

They may not know, for example, that the leg-sticking-in-the-air means play to the end and stop

Ahh! but you see things like that are not universal and, at many jams they might go to, the rest of the folk would just think they had cramp http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif You're right though, it would be good to know widespread conventions like that.

Windflite
Feb-17-2006, 1:17pm
If your looking for a concise 'fun' handout that essentially covers the jam etiquette concept...consider The Ten Jammandments (http://www.qibits.com/F&P/10_jamandments.htm) I gave these to a guy once who was new to the 'sport' and he found it very helpful. #(Of course, your mileage may vary!) #
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

mythicfish
Feb-21-2006, 8:09am
One of the problems faced by any teacher is the ability to assess the students proficiency.
Without this information, some students will be bored while others will be "lost". I do not
envy the task you've set for yourself.

Curt