PDA

View Full Version : N-Tracks Studio

sandcastlefaith
Mar-31-2004, 7:50pm
Hi, I have a program on my computer called n-tracks studio. It is a multi-track recording studio program, and all-in-all, it's very good and I like it a lot. The vocal sound great, guitar sound excellent, and it has tons of features, (and it's not hard to use.) When I record a mandolin, however, the mandolin sounds way too bright, and the notes don't sustain at all. It sounds like a cheap keyboard version of a mandolin. I've tried everything to fix this problem: added more low-end, added reverb, recorded by mic with my acoustic mandolin, I've tried just about everything! It helped a little, but unfortunately, the mandolins just keep sounding bad. Has anyone had this problem with this program or one similar to it? What do I do?

Pete Martin
Apr-01-2004, 11:43am
Listen through headphones while micing and playing your mandolin. Move the mic around until you get the best sounds. Try everywhere, even if you think there is NO way it will sound good there.

My friend Phil Williams wrote a great book for micing acousting instruments called "Professional Microphone Techniques". There is a lot in this book. Get it and learn.

You may need to try different mics, picks, etc.

Many players are surprised at their tone when they first hear their mandolin playing recorded.

sandcastlefaith
Apr-01-2004, 3:00pm
Thing is, I know it's not just my playing that sounds this way, because I've heard myself recorded by other methods before too. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif Maybe I need a new program.

PCypert
Apr-01-2004, 5:18pm
Hey,
The program is fine. It's more than enough for most home enthusiasts. The problem is your micing technique. Go to www.digidesign.com or harmonycentral.com and do a search for mandolin recording. Should pop up some info. They are tricky to get, but can be done. Can you mic in stereo? A good technique is to put one mic over your shoulder about six to twelve inches away from the mando. Line this up with the headstock. Then mic off the bridge about the same distance away. Be sure and watch your 3 to 1 ratio (if mic is 7 inches away from the mando, space the mics 21 inches apart). This worked really well for me with a couple Octava Mk012's. Best of luck.
Paul

Bluemando
Apr-02-2004, 5:41am
sounds nuts i know, but i use the mic that came with the computer. I just stick it inside the mandolin through the large opening at the rear of the bottom f-hole, and let it just sit inside. Only problem i have is that the mando becomes overpowering, and I have to back off the volume a lot.

Ken Sager
Apr-02-2004, 6:00pm
Heed Pete Martin's advice.

I've found that the same mic won't necessarily sound as good on two quality mandos. No two mandos require the same mic placement, either. It may sound funny, but I believe there is no single best practice, but each environment, mic, and mando should undergo experimentation until you find the best mic and placement for the mando in hand. It definitely helps to have a few different mics to choose from.

Beware, there is another MAS that begins with the word Microphone, and it can be just as expensive as the Mandolin variety.

Best,
Ken