PDA

View Full Version : Washburn Mandolins

skyblue
Feb-14-2006, 11:09am
I would appreciate any feedback on the Washburn Mandolins
particularly the F-5's. I have an F-4 and want to purchase
an F-5 in the near future. On the cafe everyone seems to lean towards Eastman. I've tried MK and they sound good but
I've heard a lot of negative feedback on the message board.
I looking in the range of $800-1500. I bought my Washburn
F-4 on Ebay and I'm happy with it but I want to also have more of the F-5 sound available to me when I want it. I have been playing about six months after taking about 15 years off. I'm beginning to get some good sounds out of my
Washburn as my technique improves.
My Washburn M4-SW/ASB seems well made and has a very nice
appearance. After set-up it sounds great. Not much volume.
The tuners weren't great so I'm gone put Schaler tuners on
real soon.

Nolan
Feb-14-2006, 4:22pm
If I was going to spend $800-$1500 I'd buy a used Gibson A-9 or a Collings MT. #It would be tough for a Washburn to sound as good as one of those.
Maybe someone can give us their opinion of the washburn F5....

Don
Feb-14-2006, 6:59pm
I have a Washburn M6S F5 style from 1983.It's one of the original Jethro Burns models.They did a reissue of it a couple years or so ago.My original M6 is exquisitely beautiful.The sound is heavenly and it plays like butter.I think it would compare favorably with ANY mandolin,regardless of maker or price.I doubt the reissues are of the same quality.

Don.

Martin Jonas
Feb-14-2006, 7:14pm
The 80s Washburns are indeed great: I have a wonderful 1989 M3-SW which, like Don's, looks great, plays effortlessly and has a sweet tone. Dan Beimborn and Kevin McLeod both played it a few months ago at a session, and seemed to like it, too. The new ones get both positive and negative reviews, but I haven't played one so can't comment.

Martin

diamond ace
Feb-14-2006, 7:25pm
I once had a reissue Jethro model that sounded good after I changed the bridge out for an ebony one and replaced the tail piece and did some set up work on it. I also scaloped our the finger board extension. I have since started playing Eastmans and In my opinion they are far better than the washburn I had. The Washburn is actualy built in the same factories as many other PAc Rim models.

Good luck with your search.

skyblue
Feb-14-2006, 10:30pm
Diamond Ace!!!!
So what was the main difference between your Washburn Jethro Burns model and the Eastman mandolin. Which Eastman
mandolin do you have? what do you like about it? Are not the Eastman's made in China also, what distinguishes the
workmanship from MK and Washburn?? Thanks for your feedback.
So which Eastman mandolin are you playing on the Windrider
website???

jimbob
Feb-15-2006, 4:48am
I had a JB model for about a year....not bad for around $ 450 or so used....wouldn't pay much more....not a big sound, but pretty well made and they look nice. It was very good to learn on and was nice to be able to pass on at a decent price for another player looking for a good starter.

diamond ace
Feb-16-2006, 7:02pm
The Eastmans are made in there own factory. Lots of other imports are all made in a couple of factories and different names put on them. The Eastman has much nicer wood and workmanship, all hand carved, not heat pressed like some imorts. I am playing an 815 model on the live sound samples on the website. My washburn was a good mandolin don't get me wrong, but it don't hold a candle to the Eastman in my opinion. I have owned a custom Weber, a Ratliff, and lots of other good mandolins but the Eastman I'm playing now is (in my opinion) the best I've ever owned. It plays great and the tone fits my liking to a tee. The weber i had was also a great mandolin and it is a close call between the two.

good luck in your search and let us know what you come up with.

Roydw3
Feb-16-2006, 10:38pm
My Washburn is fine for learning, but when I put it side by side with custom builders mandolins, Gibson's, Collings, etc., it sounds like a toy. It just doesn't have the clarity, volume, sustain, tone, or low end of the better mandolins. Yes, I realize they are in different catagories...that is why as soon as I can, I will have a custom mandolin. I, too, plan to buy an Eastman in the future. I want to get a custom exactly the way I want it and then get an Eastman to complement it...say I get an F5 custom, then I will get and F4 or an A in the Eastman line.

Actually, I am thinking of a mandocello...who knows...but the custom is first...someday.

Denny

skyblue
Feb-27-2006, 12:44am
Thanks all for your feedback on Washburn mandolins and I am
considering either a Eastman 515 or Micheal Kelly. Anyone
have any experience with Morgan Monroe's.