PDA

View Full Version : New Vessel

testore
Feb-13-2006, 10:51pm
Here's the latest.It was great to meet a few of you at the Loar Fest.

testore
Feb-13-2006, 10:53pm
The back,two piece Big Leaf slab cut. I like it a lot and the mando sounds real nice for being two days old.

testore
Feb-14-2006, 12:39am
Hope these pics are better

testore
Feb-14-2006, 12:40am
Head

testore
Feb-14-2006, 12:43am
bigger top pic

RichieK
Feb-14-2006, 9:11am
Gary,
Sweet!
I really like the color of the binding too!
Richie

Ken Sager
Feb-14-2006, 9:14am
Nice work! Gary, I hear you'll be delivering this in person next week. I'll have to show up at a jam for a change.
I hope California is treating you well.
Best,
Ken

Darryl Wolfe
Feb-14-2006, 9:21am
Very nice lines Gary

testore
Feb-14-2006, 1:17pm
Thanks guys.Ken, I'll be in SLC for the jam on the 22nd. Hope you'll be around to show it to you.California is California. I'm wearing T shirts and sandels and taking my dog for walks.I don't miss shoveling snow that's for sure.

Breakfast
Feb-17-2006, 12:18am
Gary, it's beautiful. Dimension wise, how is it similar/different to your last (my) F5? Same tree for the top? Radius on the fretboard?

S

testore
Feb-17-2006, 4:13pm
Sam,
Only diference is the back wood.Everything else is as close to "same" as I can get. You'll see it soon!

johnwilson
Feb-18-2006, 10:44am
Another new Vessel at the Loar Fest

johnwilson
Feb-18-2006, 10:52am
And another...

Ken Sager
Feb-19-2006, 6:05pm
Either Gary is shorter than I remember, or...

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Breakfast
Feb-20-2006, 1:46pm
I want another.

S

johnwilson
Feb-21-2006, 12:15am
Just before he opened the case Gary took a pill that said "this one makes you smaller." I guess it was even funnier when Mike Marshall introduced himself to Gary late Thursday night while Gary was jamming with his new mandocello upstairs with Spruce. I think it was something to the effect of "You may not know me but I'm Mike Marshall." I don't think Scott would want me to post the reply.

Ken Sager
Feb-24-2006, 12:03pm
The new Vessel is a killer. Killer. I saw Sam's yesterday, too, your consistency is impressive. Both are fantastic mandolins. Nice work Gary, and it was good to see you in Salt Lake again.

Tom Smart
Feb-24-2006, 12:55pm
Yeah, but it's not a Gibson...

Other than that, I'd have to agree. The new owner was kind enough to let me play it for a good long time on Wednesday, and I didn't want to give it back. Great mando. We'll keep a chair warmed up for you, Gary.

testore
Feb-24-2006, 1:33pm
Thanks guys. I miss the jam and everyone a lot. I'll see you again soon though.
Tom, you don't have a Gibson either:p in fact I don't know of any in the area. Hmmmm do I see a trend?http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Tom Smart
Feb-24-2006, 1:46pm
I don't have a Gibson??? Wait a minute while I check the headstock... Holy moses, you're right!!! What on earth was I thinking when I bought this thing???

Maybe with a new Vessel in the fold, the Smarts and Vessels can combine forces and give all those Bussmans a good whipping.

(If you're reading this, Bill, just kidding--I love your work too.)

TS

testore
Feb-24-2006, 1:56pm
I guess having Lawrence for a brother kinda helps keep it in the family. If my brother showed up anywhere with a Gibson mando I'd disown him.Bill, when I'm in town I don't show up with anything to play cuz I know there's at least half a dozen Old Waves to borrow for a night. It's amazing how much they all sound like they came from the same place. they're all great playing mandos.
Gary

Ken Sager
Feb-24-2006, 2:10pm
Wait... Unless Tom sold his snakehead we BOTH own Gibsons! They're from the golden era, though (20's) and speaking for my A it doesn't hang in jams the size of the Wednesday Pizza Jam (how many were there the other night? 20?!?).

Tom, feel free to edit that last horrid paragraph.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

johnwilson
Feb-24-2006, 2:25pm
Gary was also working on a "Grisman Model" which was to be inlaid with black masking tape. I think he gave it up when it got confused with another maker's Sonny Osborne model. Too bad.
Unfortunately a lot of people judge the quality of the sound by the pattern of the inlay work.

Tom Smart
Feb-24-2006, 2:27pm
I guess having Lawrence for a brother kinda helps keep it in the family. If my brother showed up anywhere with a Gibson mando I'd disown him.

Nah, he wouldn't disown me. I think he's just grateful that I've bought a few items from him, which helps keep him in business doing what he loves--just like his other customers do.

The advantage I have in being L's brother is that I've seen enough of his work that I can commission him to build me something with confidence. I know what he sees and hears in his head, and I know the end result will hit the target. In fact, I've never tried to steer the process much at all--I just tell him to build the instrument the way he wants to.

If I were to take Lawrence out of the picture, you and Mr. Bussman would be the next two guys in that position. I've seen and played enough of your work that I feel like I could commission something with confidence.

Unfortunately for you both, I have all the instruments I need now. Still, it's kind of tempting to get on your list. Maybe as an investment, because I do believe there's an upside potential there... Hmm... Not to mention that the newest F, as well as Sam's F, are just plain great mandos, and a blast to play.

testore
Feb-24-2006, 2:29pm
Ken, yes Tom does own a beatiful little A model that stays home. I didn't know you had one too. I love those snakeheads.
Gary

testore
Feb-24-2006, 2:31pm
Thanks so much Tom. That means everything to a builder.

Tom Smart
Feb-24-2006, 2:38pm
Ken, yes Tom does own a beatiful little A model that stays home. I didn't know you had one too. I love those snakeheads.
Gary
Actually, the snake gets out and about quite often. It gets just about as much playing time as the Smart. I love them both, although they're about as different as it's possible for them to be.

I'm getting a little buzz on one of the A strings on the snakehead, though. It was fine for a long time after I had you work on the nut slots, but I think it might have worn down from a year+ worth of tuning. It's an 83 year-old nut after all. Any quick fixes you can recommend? Dab of superglue? Paper shim?

Ken's A is a transitional one from about 22, I think. Paddle head and wider neck, but also has the adjustable bridge and a truss rod with a cool aluminum cover that says "hey, look at me, I have a truss rod!"

Breakfast
Feb-24-2006, 7:02pm
I can't wait to see the new one close up. Have you started your next project?

S

Ken Sager
Feb-24-2006, 8:13pm
It's a late '21 A and even though it has a truss rod it has the wider neck of the pre-truss A's and it says "Hey, I have a truss rod but I probably don't need one".

But this thread is about Gary's latest great mandolin.