PDA

View Full Version : King Wilke-Broke

Steve Cantrell
Feb-13-2006, 9:21pm
This thing is just fantastic and blue as it can be. Excellent music--especially for a first effort. I highly recommend.

MDW
Feb-13-2006, 10:21pm
I agree that it's a really good CD. But it is actually their sophmore release. They put out a CD called True Songs in 2003. They claim not to like it but I think it's very good as well.

Steve Cantrell
Feb-13-2006, 10:51pm
Oh-here I was thinking it was their first. I'll have to check around for it. Thanks.

Tom C
Feb-13-2006, 11:01pm
I like their sound. I wish they did more jammin' as they take short breaks. They usually split them. i also like Old Crow Medicine Show.

Coy Wylie
Feb-13-2006, 11:47pm
They are very retro and nice guys too. I heard them and met them at Winfield last fall. I particularly like the somewhat morbid tear-jerker "Lee and Paige." The mando playing on that song is cool and understated.

ShaneJ
Feb-14-2006, 8:13am
I like them too. I agree that they could use some longer breaks, although their singing is good.

KevinM
Feb-28-2006, 5:54pm
Plus they've got that great songwriter, Ted Pitney. Try their new EP as well, available at their website. Good stuff.

Michael H Geimer
Feb-28-2006, 7:28pm
Seen Wilke twice now. I especially like their rendition of In the Pines. I think the short, often split breaks are a sign of class.

OTOH ... OCMS disappointed me the second time around. Only the fiddler was taking breaks. It started to seem to me like the act wasn't much more than a bunch of guys strumming banjos ... albeit with good energy and good vocals!

Darren Kern
Feb-28-2006, 7:45pm
If you like Broke, go see them live. Broke doesn't come close to capturing their energy. bluegrassbox.com has some live shows by them that you can download, you'll like them better than the studio CD. Not saying it's no good... you'll get what I mean.

Oh, and OCMS doesn't take breaks and stuff very much because they are more of an old time act, with even almost a jug band feel, that's my opinion anyway. Great energy and drive, and talented musicians, but a squeaky fiddle and janglin' banjer are part of their mystique http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Bobbie Dier
Mar-01-2006, 5:32pm
I hate to sound like an old grouch but... I saw them last fall and I was not impressed. I was wondering what was the big deal. I was really looking forward to seeing them because of all the hype on here. When I finally did see em ,I thought they were not that great. They are cute young guys in nice suits but their bluegrass was blah. Maybe it was an off night for them. Just my old grouchy opinion . http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

mandopete
Mar-01-2006, 7:16pm
They are way overdue for a new release (IMHO).

jim simpson
Mar-01-2006, 7:38pm
I misunderstood the title of the thread, I thought we were going to have to take up a collection for the group. Oh, by the way, I'm broke!

bradeinhorn
Mar-03-2006, 7:41am
I enjoyed their earlier stuff a lot more. Saw them at Grey Fox this summer and they are clearly going for a different sound. They played very few trad sounding tunes and had very few burning banjo breaks and almost no mando breaks. Perhaps it was just an off set. It was more of a slow groove feel. Strange. Nick Reeb, their fiddler, is a great guy and a friend of mine from back when he lived in NYC. we did some picking in the lots and he sounded AWESOME. He's really coming along. HOpe they put something new out soon as well. Dig that Damn Yankee song.