PDA

View Full Version : fiddle beginner book dvd

Roydw3
Feb-11-2006, 9:16pm
Howdy,

I am not going to give up the mandolin...in fact, I don't know that I will ever play my guitars, bass, or drums very much again. I am addicted to the mandolin. Even so, I'd like to learn the fiddle for bluegrass and or country. What beginner book or video do you recommend? I have ordered a couple of childrens books for my daughter who wants to play and I will use hers too...but what in particular to beginner bluegrass do you recommend?

Thanks in advance
Denny

Coy Wylie
Feb-12-2006, 12:03am
Brian Wicklund's American Fiddle Method Vols. 1&2

mandomick
Feb-12-2006, 12:19am
I bought my first fiddle about 6 months ago along with an instructional DVD by Kenny Kosek. (never heard of him prior to this) He's an excellent teacher and I'm really happy with what I've gotten out of it so far.

I'm positive that playing mando prior to this has been a big advantage since tuning is the same. Just knowing a G scale will be a big help. Go for it!

Adam Tracksler
Feb-12-2006, 9:05am
I got Jay Buckey's Beginnner pack, with the DVD,CD's, book and No-Fret sticker. Its worked out really well. I will probably also get the American fiddle books as well...

Dennis Russell
Feb-12-2006, 11:51pm
Hello: I took lessons at a junior college nearby for a semester to learn the scale on violin and beginners classes, then I got several VHS,s from the Murphy Method, no tab used , Jim wood teaches begginers fiddle at a slow pace so you get the hang of it, he is former Tennessee Fiddle champ, here is there WEb Page. www.murphymethod.com . also REd Henry,, Murphy,s husband makes and sells solid maple bridges for arch top mandolins, check it out,, Dennis in yuma Arizona

Lane Pryce
Feb-13-2006, 9:20am
I have seen Jay Buckey's stuff and it looks great. His books are solid in the basics and progress in various other techniques/styles, put together rather nicely too. I have used Kenny kosecs stuff. He has been around the block more than once and is a superb fiddler. However I believe his approach is a bit in depth for the novice as his pace is better suited for the intermediate or advanced student. Lp