PDA

View Full Version : Heavy metal or glam band material

levin4now
Mar-31-2004, 2:17pm
I stumbled on a mixed CD I had of a bunch of old metal and glam rock songs I used to hear in high school (Ozzy, Ratt, Cinderella, Skid Row, Poison, ACDC etc..) and wondered how many of you had worked anything up to groups like that; in a hayseed dixie sort of way or otherwise. I know that some intros probably lend themselves to mando quite easily, with ACDC's Shook Me All Night Long and Thunderstruck being two that come to mind.

mandofiddle
Mar-31-2004, 2:35pm
Yonder Mountain String band does a great version of Crazy Train. I was thinking that the Poison song "Don't need nothing but a good time" might be a fun one to work up.

Apr-01-2004, 9:56am
Yup.. I used to be a metal head.. I got Sweet Child of mine worked out on mando..
It grasses good..

Apr-01-2004, 9:57am
oh yeah smoke on the water works good to..

RATFINK
Apr-01-2004, 10:14pm
I've been doin' this for years now... i've got a ton of songs worked out on mando. It's all an octave up from the guitar, but it sounds cool.
I've done CCR, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, Hendrix, Clapton, Joan Jett, White Stripes, Cream, Pink Floyd, AC-DC, Van Morrison, Styx, Simon and Garfunkel, The Doors, and Joe Walsh

Kirby161
Apr-01-2004, 10:16pm
wow!
i didnt know anyone knew all those!
we need some more representation in the tabs section man! tab those babies up!
styx would be especially cool.

RATFINK
Apr-01-2004, 10:17pm
I don't know how to submit tabs to the site, does anyone know?

I figured out those songs by sitting many hours with guitar tabs, my Electric Mandobird, and some charts of chords and frets.

JeffS
Apr-02-2004, 11:53pm
Iron Horse (http://www.ironhorsebluegrass.com/) did a really good tribute to Metallica called Fade to Bluegrass. It sounds amazing.

mando bandage
Apr-03-2004, 11:55am
"Little Bit of Sympathy" by Robin Trower (there are even chop opportunities in this one); "Shake that Thing" by The Sensational Alex Harvey Band (would love to find a tab for "Tomahawk Kid" by same); "Rocky Mountain Way" by Joe Walsh; to name a few.

John Zimm
Apr-03-2004, 7:07pm
I got Sweet Child of mine worked out on mando..
That's funny, I play this one too. A lot of GnR translates well to bluegrass.

-John.

Kirby161
Apr-04-2004, 12:37pm
actually ratfink, i dont know how to submit tabs either, does anyone?

RATFINK
Apr-04-2004, 3:46pm
I e-mailed the site and he told me to send a sample, and I sent him a mando version of Black Dog. So if you wanna post tabs just go to the contacts page and ask for permission.

RATFINK
Apr-05-2004, 3:52pm
Go to the Tab section in Rock and Alternative and you'll see my Black Dog post. I sent him Sunshine Of Your Love just today.

Kirby161
Apr-05-2004, 5:19pm
looks like it worked!
sweet, i think it sounds fine! (although i only have an acoustic)
i hope there are more where that one came from.

RATFINK
Apr-05-2004, 8:13pm
Don't worry, there is, I just have to type them up, one at a time...

Kirby161
Apr-05-2004, 9:19pm
i praise you friend! ive waited a while for a good excuse for an electric mando, and you gave it to me.

RATFINK
Apr-07-2004, 3:50pm
Which electric are you planning on buying? I got an Epiphone Mandobird for $180 and it hasn't let me down.

Kirby161
Apr-07-2004, 6:10pm
i just found a epi mandobird and i will probably have enuf $ to buy it by june.
wish me luck.

RATFINK
Apr-07-2004, 9:43pm
Good luck on that, but do you have an amp too?

Kirby161
Apr-08-2004, 7:52am
yea but i think its for acoustic only, so i might need to buy a real electric amp of one of my guitar friends.

jlb
Apr-08-2004, 9:39am
I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but me and a picking buddy have about 10-15 Motley Crue songs we worked up as a mando/guitar duet just for fun.

The thing is, alot of this stuff translates well because alot if it is 1-4-5 or some subtle variation thereof, its melodic (minus those crazy flashy hot-lick breaks typical of the music, which we do not emulate), and its a good way to strecth!

Dr. Feelgood is the funnest one to play, BTW.

delsbrother
Apr-08-2004, 2:12pm
(minus those crazy flashy hot-lick breaks typical of the music, which we do not emulate)
Sheesh. Where's the fun in that?

SHOUT! SHOUT! SHOUT! SHOUT AT THE DEVIL! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

jlb
Apr-08-2004, 3:00pm
sorry, delsbrother...I am not spending any of my time transposing Micky Mars electric guitar breaks to mandolin. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/wink.gif

pklima
Apr-08-2004, 3:32pm
The thing is, alot of this stuff translates well because alot if it is 1-4-5 or some subtle variation thereof, its melodic (minus those crazy flashy hot-lick breaks typical of the music, which we do not emulate), and its a good way to strecth!
Say, lots of I-IV-V progressions, breakneck tempos, flashy solos and men producing very high-pitched voices... this has a lot in common with bluegrass!

delsbrother
Apr-08-2004, 3:46pm
Don't forget the alternative hairstyles.

Michael H Geimer
Apr-08-2004, 4:11pm
I wonder who's using more hairspray ... Rick Skaggs, or Sebastian Bach?

jlb
Apr-08-2004, 6:15pm
Don't forget Sam Bush's headbanging prowess.

And Chris Thile, well...that's just too easy...

Michael H Geimer
Apr-08-2004, 6:20pm
" And Chris Thile, well...that's just too easy... "

Of course, I get the joke, but closer to the topic ...

Isn't the original Pavement version of Spit on a Stranger fairly heavy? I like NC take on the song. Well done in my eyes ... but it's not very Bluegrass. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

- Benig

jlb
Apr-08-2004, 6:31pm
Gotta admit I'm a dinosaur..my knowledge of hard rock dies in the 90s. Don't know who Pavement is, and I'm not sure I know any of NC's song titles.

fangsdaddy
Apr-09-2004, 8:40am
i wouldn't call pavement a "hard rock band". they're more of a college/slacker/indie rock band. has anyone tried sabbath on the mando? one of the nice touches in "school of rock" for me was when jack black gives the first electric guitar lesson to the kid & shows him "iron man."

here's a question that's related. heck, perhaps it should be a whole new thread. i'm a recovering punk rocker. since then, i've been playing traditional musics for the last 10 years or so on guitar. i've been playing mandolin a little less than a year. i'm in a new playing situation where i'm asked to play rock mando. chopping doesn't really work. what techniques, particularly right hand, do you guys use to rock?

thanks
sam

pklima
Apr-09-2004, 3:09pm
I don't know about Sabbath on mandolin, but Sabbath on mandocello is great! The fifths tuning and extra low range lend themselves well to true metal. My troll guitar is a doubleneck electric guitar with one neck in guitar tuning and the other with five strings tuned CGDAE. I almost invariably choose the latter for heavy stuff.

If you're playing with a drummer and he didn't forget his snare, chopping is redundant. Lots of other stuff will work, though. I hope Niles weighs in...

Michael H Geimer
Apr-09-2004, 3:26pm
" they're more of a college/slacker/indie rock band. has anyone tried sabbath on the mando? "

Yea ... It'd pretty hard for me to defend Pavement in the face of Sabbath.

Apr-09-2004, 3:33pm
How about Cinderella tunes? Remember them? #Keiffer Rocked.. I am sure many tunes off the long cold winter cd would grass just right. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

I think there is a mando previously owned by him for sale at Gruhns.

ira
Apr-10-2004, 3:24pm
fangsdaddy- 2 finger/open chords, double stops, bends, slides, hammer and pull. tremolo slide up the neck on one string or 2, and throw a little reverb if you are amp'd. you can also use the chop on the 1-3 beat for a reggae like or brush on the drums effect.

Apr-19-2004, 8:29am
Has anybody tried to Grass the tune "No Rain" by Blind Melon??

mandopete
Apr-19-2004, 9:22am
I think you would need the "bee suit" for that one! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Apr-19-2004, 10:12am
Mandopete... Your right.. I need a Bee suit and that Rigel yellow jacket mando.. I would Rock!!! All hail for those about to Rock.. We salute you! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Trip
Apr-29-2004, 10:43pm
with standup bass, fiddle, mando, and guitar,we do a cool version of Pipeline.....the old Dick Dale surf tune(check out my website for a live version, and you can stream it or download it)....and also Jimi Hendrix- Little Wing instrumental, Van Morrison- Moondance, Skynyrd- Simple man, mutiple Pink Floyd tunes, some Moe, some Widespread Panic, lots of Dead....oh yea we play bluegrass too

StrangerStringBand (http://www.strangerstringband.com)

Christian McKee
May-03-2004, 8:13pm
My old band used to do Walk Don't Run (Ventures surf tune) with mandolin and guitar alternating on the melody parts... #Surf is always fun and easy. #Crank and volume, and you can play a great Paranoid pretty easily. #I also heartily recommend the Boss OC-3 for lower notes in this sort of situation. #Battle it out with your bassist for TOTAL DOMINATION http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mad.gif

Taboot, Taboot,

Christian

Kirby161
Jun-02-2004, 5:54pm
I was playing hotel california by using the chords for it on OLGA and applying a forward roll to it. It sounds just like the original!
a good'n, grasses well too.

mad dawg
Jun-02-2004, 6:49pm
I forget who did it, but I once heard a CD by a Bluegrass band with a bunch of ACDC songs.

London Al
Jun-04-2004, 12:27pm
If were havin a good gig , my band sometimes has a great audience sing along with T REX's "Hot love". It's a lovely choppin rythm and you dont need any soloing, just the whole bar goin' Na na na nanana naaaarr......

Kirby161
Jun-11-2004, 4:04pm
I forget who did it, but I once heard a CD by a Bluegrass band with a bunch of ACDC songs.
I believe the name of that band was "Hayseed Dixie" (or something that sounded like ACDC)
they were a fun band but they tended to slow down the songs too much to make them more grassy.

levin4now
Jun-12-2004, 8:08pm
Listening to some RUSH this morning, and wondered if anyone could pull off the lead lick to "Spirit of Radio". I think that would be pretty sweet.

Dru Lee Parsec
Jun-15-2004, 5:10pm
There was a band called FM (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000006YQW/qid=1087340613/sr=ka-2/ref=pd_ka_2/103-5193636-6646207) that had a guy who called himself "Nash the Slash" who played mandolin and violin through a stack of Marshall amps. I have an album of theirs somewhere (yes, an actual vinyl record) and I remember it being pretty cool.

Joel Glassman
Jun-24-2004, 3:15pm
Rodeohead (Radiohead)
http://www.hardnphirm.com/rodeohead.html

Christian McKee
Jun-25-2004, 6:34pm
You know, it just occured to me that nobody's brought up Alex Gregory's music as part of this thread yet. Strange... There's info about him on emando.com, and I've found various places to listen to samples of his playing. Pretty schweet stuff, for those of us that miss Van Halen...

Christian