PDA

View Full Version : Kalamazoo

sjusk
Mar-31-2004, 1:53pm
IŽd like to get a "report" from all of you sitting out there with an old, but hopefully fine working Kalamazoo. What are your setups like?
Please tell what kind of bridge/saddle you use, whether you use heavy or light strings, what nut-material you find to be the best, etc. Whatever good experience you had with the setup (and bad) IŽd be glad if youŽd share it with me.
I live in Denmark, and bought a Kalamazoo KM21 1337 on ebay, since quality bluegrass mandolines over here are hard to get by. The thing is that I am also lefthanded, and needed a full conversion, which was professionally taken care of by a very good friend of mine, Jim Bevins of Ticonderoga, who is not only a top class person but also a great mando-picker, AND about to open a music store! (Root root! DonŽt forget to support Jim!)
I really like to dig into the mysteries of the mandolin, and wonder if anyone out there has one or two good advices how to turn a good sounding (now lefty) Kalamazoo into a mere banjokiller?

Thanks! (and thanks to you Jim, should you read this)

Sűren

jeffyork
Apr-01-2004, 10:30pm
On my Kalamazoo I'm playing TI strings with the original bridge and low action. It is not loud, but it sounds mighty fine to me. I also had a luthier file the nut to get the action as low as I like it.

Good luck!