PDA

View Full Version : Gibson's new flavor

Tom C
Mar-31-2004, 1:53pm
This is from the vault link on front page of cafe. Ican't believe I have not heard any comments on this. has anybody seen or played one? It looks realnice. Since it is a master model I would think the big difference is the cherry wood. How does that affect tone compared to maple?
Is that grain runoff I see? -I do learn stuff from yous guys. Gibson Cherry (http://www.fqms.com/static/gibson_cherryMasterModel.cfm)

sunburst
Mar-31-2004, 3:10pm
I built a cherry mandolin in '91 or '92. It was loud with a good tone. It was used by David McLaughlin for a while with the Johnson Mountain Boys.
How does the tone compare with Maple? I dunno, I only made one.

BigJoe
Mar-31-2004, 5:26pm
Yep. It's a one of a kind Master Model. It looks incredible and plays great. The sound is a little more mid rangy than maple, but still sounds like a Master Model. To see it is to fall in love with it. We just wanted to try one so we did. Quite interesting. Hope you like it.

mandolooter
Mar-31-2004, 6:59pm
Cherry darkens with age...in ten years that's gonna look even better!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

rnjl
Mar-31-2004, 11:21pm
Martin's Smartwood guitars are cherry back and sides, I think, and they're nice guitars.

cbogle
Apr-01-2004, 10:23am
I had the pleasure of playing this particular mando at FQMS last October. It is indeed a beautiful and unique instrument. It is deeper, with a more pronounced lower end than other MM's that I have played. I can't even imagine which way this one will develop tonally.

Mike Crocker
Apr-01-2004, 10:39am
I had a whole skid of roughcut cherry and used it for bookshelves and such. The leftovers became flooring. I think I still have a few boards left. Now I'm thinking none of it is cut on the quarter but I've been fancying a new solidbody...

Some of my cherry stock (I'm looking down at the floor right now) was coloured from very dark to almost white, some with black streaks. I hate it when I look at floors and furniture and see the instruments which were never built!

Peace, Mooh.